News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

It’s an admission that what’s been happening for most of this century hasn’t got better after head hunting someone to make it better.

I had high hopes for Russell when we first got him, finally we might just get a break from the injury curse, but it’s become very apparent for at least the last 2 years it’s not working

We are so close to the holy grail but continuously being hamstrung (not intended just couldn’t think of a better word) by an injury list that fails to get close to the best team out in the park nearly weekly.

The clock is ticking

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Why is the injury list purely on the S&C when the same players are on it every year? I’m not saying getting rid of him is the wrong decision, but using him as the scapegoat doesn’t achieve anything when it’s the same players.

Why is the injury list purely on the S&C when the same players are on it every year? I’m not saying getting rid of him is the wrong decision, but using him as the scapegoat doesn’t achieve anything when it’s the same players.

You’d have to take that up with Brian Cook and the board.
S&C must have signed off on these players …

Inevitable outcome.
Even if Russell - and others - argue that many of our players are just injury prone and no amount of fitness and recovery management would have changed the outcome, it’s not going to override other considerations.
The optics - for example in the Cerra case - become a bigger hurdle as the raw numbers, plans, strategies, changes.
That’s what happens in many workplaces, forget the deep detail, it just doesn’t look/feel right … and its more cutthroat at AFL level due to the audience.
In any other international sporting organisation he probably would never have lasted this long with the optics. The AFL although people feel it can be cut throat is pretty fair in comparison with parting ways with senior staff.

Perhaps Cook/Club has someone in mind to take over and have started the ball rolling

I suspect, it will be someone highly credentialed and we have plenty of coin to attract the right person

Just start moving on the injury prone, otherwise, not much will change
This time last year Mrs Martin was high on the list, sadly think she's dropped down the pecking order this year.

In any other international sporting organisation he probably would never have lasted this long with the optics. The AFL although people feel it can be cut throat is pretty fair in comparison with parting ways with senior staff.
Making decisions based on optics & is essentially pandering to the nuffies in the outer/bleachers & you'd hope that any organisation stays well away from that.

1st rule of thumb - Not all players are the same. You need to train players accordingly to manage their individual loads.
These players haven't been on the ground ALL YEAR, even for them that is not right.
My gut tells me, they haven't been given a chance and as an example, Cerra to do the same injury 3 times in one year, after multiple efforts - rang the alarm bells for me.
Do we trade him now????

Considering what's happening these days in the world and what's fuelled by social media and such you can't escape or ignore optics entirely.
Not entirely but it's amateur hour if you're making decisions based on it.
Fans are by their nature, ignorant to the inner workings of a club & inclined to form take an emotive stance, hardly conducive to ensuring best practice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know anything about sports science, I am unsure about how much our problems have been injury prone players vs mismanagement.

But in terms of overall conditioning, I think this year the team has clearly hit a physical wall and dropped off at a crucial point in the season.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d dare say there would be decision makers at the club going wtf is going on just like us plebs on a forum.
Difference will be they are able to ask the questions and decipher facts from spin.

They wouldn’t make decisions from social media or bigfooty or anywhere else that’s frothing, but they absolutely need to be able to read the room of their constituents and start having hard conversations internally.

At the end of the day, footy clubs are in the winning business and they get shitloads of money and adulation from us plebs, and that winning business is significantly affected when you’re missing significant parts of your team constantly due to injuries that a HPT can have some control over.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

People calling our players being injury prone need to remember that Rusell has been there for 6 years. Not all the players have been injury prone prior. I suspect the roll of HP team led by Russell is to get all players fit and playing after all.

My biggest concern is the recent injuries to Walsh and Cerra over the past couple of seasons along with the spate of repeat soft tissue injuries. I suspect the club has analysed the injuries over a period of time before making the decision to part ways.

Good luck to Russell. It's a tough job and the consequences of getting it wrong are very public. Unfortunately not many would agree that over the long term he got much right.

The last preseason was infuriating in real time and it blew up in our face before we even got to Rnd 1.

I had a strong suspicion that was his last at the club. As many have noted Cook is a pretty fair person and I would think he's made this call having given Russell more than enough chances.

I doubt Cook would view this as the silver bullet either. I'd guess the injury prone players are all but gone. Unfortunately Marchy, cunners, etc. just didn't have bodies that could cope with the ridiculous demands of AFL. I also hope there's a non injury prone player recruitment policy.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back