News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

What's so special about this guy that you think he could work two fulltime jobs with conflicting values at the same time?

A discussion on radio this morning. One person when answering the idea that Thorburn lost the CEO job because of his beliefs (false) asked how the Church on the Hill would have responded if Thorburn had taken a job as CEO of the Gay Mardi Gras instead of a Football Club!!. ie CEO of both. ;)

How would the Church have seen the 'dichotomy' of interests in that little scenario I wonder?. ;)

The fact was he was wanting to hold leaderships roles in 2 organisations with polar ideals.

He would have run a football club in one role and been chair of the church in another. Far from polar ideals, and in fact, probably closer to the same pole than opposite poles in that both are very much about bringing people together with a common belief, providing guidance, nurturing young people and helping when people's lives go astray.

He would have run a football club in one role and been chair of the church in another. Far from polar ideals, and in fact, probably closer to the same pole than opposite poles in that both are very much about bringing people together with a common belief, providing guidance, nurturing young people and helping when people's lives go astray.
what garbage are you talking about.
one was inclusive (EFC) and the other exclusive (The church) totally different !!!!

That's the narrowest view I have ever read.
It’s not a point of view.
it is the fact of the issue. It is why he stood down. It’s why there is a thread here on BF :rolleyes:

The churches homophobic policy contradicted the EFC inclusive policy, he wanted to be head of both which was THE reason he stood down. JUST FACTS!!!

Have you had your head stuck under a rock for the past week???

So you have no idea how he created an unsafe workplace. Just say so.

In Western Australia it is the Occupation Health and Safety Act 1984. I'm unfamiliar with Vic law but would suggest a similar name and federally the fairwork act.

The workplace gender equality act

Add to that the various discrimination acts both state and federal including the ADA, SDA, DDA and RDA.............https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/right-discrimination-free-workplace
Employers may be vicariously liable for the discriminatory acts of their
employees (including harassment) unless they can demonstrate that they:
  • ‘took all reasonable steps’ to prevent the doing of the act
    (under the RDA[63] and
    SDA[64]); or
  • ‘took reasonable precautions and exercised due diligence to avoid the
    conduct’ (under the DDA[65] and ADA[66]).
The onus
is on an employer to prove that they ‘took all reasonable steps’ or
‘took reasonable precautions and exercised due
diligence’.[67]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you and others criticising him without knowing him?
I don't care about him personally, just think he has been unfairly treated
You don't need to know his personal values. You just need to know the values of the organisations he leads. We do. They conflict.

He hasn't been unfairly treated. He was asked to choose. He did.

Would you tell people your dad is your dad without ever having a paternity test to prove that it isn't otherwise to what you think? Or would you expect people to accept it as fact without proof you f****** little dork?
Why wouldn't you want to know the facts about your conception, what are you scared of? Thinking isn't knowing dork, your dad may not be your dad 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm a three time unva****ated c***d19 survivor!!!!!!!!!!
No words...

Ever heard of the expression "lead by example"?

I have already posted evidence of this being a common reason for executive resignations in business. It does happen all the time.

Sometimes there are legal reasons why (e.g. insider trading), but most are because of the potential risk (e.g. conflict of interest).

Stop trying to martyr him.

I’m more than happy to see Essendon wallow in the mire for evermore. But I do find it odd that a bloke is fit to run one of the country’s biggest companies in nab for years but due to social media pressures he’s suddenly not fit to run what is literally a football club.

I’m more than happy to see Essendon wallow in the mire for evermore. But I do find it odd that a bloke is fit to run one of the country’s biggest companies in nab for years but due to social media pressures he’s suddenly not fit to run what is literally a football club.
He wasn't fit to run one the country's biggest companies though. Have you been sleeping under a rock? When his shady practices were unearthed by the banking royal commission he was forced to resign there too.

Seems like only a Christian organisation can overlook his deficiencies - if when banks and the EFC won't.

Yah he was a shit operator but my point was the controversial comments attributed to the church he was related too were from prior to both jobs. No social media campaign was waged to oust a bank manager but a footy club gets all the attention.

Yah he was a s**t operator but my point was the controversial comments attributed to the church he was related too were from prior to both jobs. No social media campaign was waged to oust a bank manager but a footy club gets all the attention.

Awareness of toxic christianity is snowballing. Quiet Australians have had enough of it.

The tides have finally turned.

Yah he was a s**t operator but my point was the controversial comments attributed to the church he was related too were from prior to both jobs. No social media campaign was waged to oust a bank manager but a footy club gets all the attention.
The EFC did not do due diligence when they appointed him. That is a reflection on the disorganised rabble they are at the moment. Had they done their due diligence they would definitely have not appointed him to avoid the very circumstance that they now find themselves in.

That is most definitely how successful, large organisations operate. I know, I have seen it in operation in ASX100 companies and multinational companies.

At that level of competition and money there is always someone looking to find a crack to exploit. You are being naive to think it works any other way - it's a cut throat business.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back