News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope, not at all. If the church Thorburn is chairman of, starts lobbying for the below laws in Australia, then I might agree with you

HOMOSEXUAL ACTIVITY IN QATAR​

?
Homosexual activity in Qatar is illegal (other penalty).
Current status
Illegal (other penalty)

Penalties vary in Qatar. Non-Muslims punished with fines and up to 7 years imprisonment, and for Muslims punished with the maximum being stoning to death.
Details · Accurate? Yes No
You do understand that "Qatar" the country is not "Qatar Airways" the airline, don't you?

And I can't believe you are posting using either your Chinese or Israeli computer chip, mate - disgraceful.

He was offered an ultimatum, which is illegal workplace law. So he could sue them for a lot of money.

You don't know this. You cannot prove this, and even if it is somehow true, Thorburn isn't going to sue the club. He resigned to move on.

He was offered an ultimatum, which is illegal workplace law. So he could sue them for a lot of money.

He was offered a choice to work at Essendon or remain chair at the church. There is no way that he would have been asked to resign for being a parishioner.

Of course, this is assuming he was pushed. There is every chance that the furore made him say "**** it, I'm not up for this".

How do you know?

More than likely what happened is

Barham - "Thorburny, this is an issue. The fans are calling and emailing relentlessly. Sponsors are not happy. The media is frenzied."
Thorburn - "This is out of hand, it'll damage the club and myself. I'll just resign"

Poor politics by Dan Andrews. Just pissed off a boat load of Christians ahead of the election.

I am not Christian nor am I religious, but ridiculous that he has been forced to step down. He didn't make the comment and happened before he was on the Board. He has publicly declared he doesn't agree with everything the Church says...what more do ppl want...disavow his religion?

Level of bloodlust to bring him down way over the top. Would love to see how some of these ppl ripping into him if they too were 'cancelled' one day

Poor politics by Dan Andrews. Just pissed off a boat load of Christians ahead of the election.

I am not Christian nor am I religious, but ridiculous that he has been forced to step down. He didn't make the comment and happened before he was on the Board. He has publicly declared he doesn't agree with everything the Church says...what more do ppl want...disavow his religion?

Level of bloodlust to bring him down way over the top. Would love to see how some of these ppl ripping into him if they too were 'cancelled' one day
He wasn't forced to step down, he was forced to choose which role he preferred. That is reasonable. You wouldn't have a person chairing an anti-gambling association who was also a CEO at Aristocrat.

He chose the church. Good on him, he is probably on a motza there.

Christians who are against gay people and abortion don't vote Labor much anyway, so I doubt Dan will be too fussed about it.

The irony of your last statement is telling - his church and his beliefs "cancel" at least 1 in every 10 people on the basis of their sexuality, and every woman who has ever had the horrible decision to make over whether to have an abortion or not. Save your concern for them, hey? Thorburn is fine.

Yeah, I'm sure he's losing lots of sleep over this, whilst Dutton has leapt to the defence of the poor little millionaire.

Cool story.

Now that you've accepted that's their values, interpretations and beliefs, tell us how that is compatible with EFC's values.

Wow cool
Can you tell me what EFC's values are on such topics as abortion? I would really like to know. I'd also like to know where to locate this book of EFC values / beliefs that everyone should aspire to espouse. Because EFC is a moral compass for society and an arbiter of what is considered right and wrong. I cant wait for their "stop using plastic" round or "say no to coal and diesel" round next year.
Oh and btw - forcing a bunch of young sports people to be injected with experimental peptides is nothing on what this guy has done - the sheer audacity to be a part of a church with such beliefs - even if he never voiced any homophobic or anti-abortion remarks himself, he never explicitly denounced the church he belongs to so he must be made to resign.

how about leave his position on the church board or use that position to disendorse the comments? clearly he cannot be on the board of an organisation that preaches that homosexuality is a sin and the CEO of an another that celebrates diversity and advocates for gay rights. he made his choice and that was to stick with the church. that says everything.

you can whinge and whinge and whinge about cancel culture and try and roll every little thing that upsets you into this big scary ball of fear, but it doesn't change the plain facts of the matter that he is not fit for the job, the same way an atheist can't be the Pope

The church web site still contains a bit that is just not compatible with a club CEO role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, this is the long delayed club org reckoning from 2012 I reckon. But on the plus side, not much else can go wrong mate.

Essendon right now:

Charlize Theron Oscars GIF by Budweiser

Wow cool
Can you tell me what EFC's values are on such topics as abortion? I would really like to know. I'd also like to know where to locate this book of EFC values / beliefs that everyone should aspire to espouse. Because EFC is a moral compass for society and an arbiter of what is considered right and wrong. I cant wait for their "stop using plastic" round or "say no to coal and diesel" round next year.
Oh and btw - forcing a bunch of young sports people to be injected with experimental peptides is nothing on what this guy has done - the sheer audacity to be a part of a church with such beliefs - even if he never voiced any homophobic or anti-abortion remarks himself, he never explicitly denounced the church he belongs to so he must be made to resign.

Here are EFC's values from the head honcho himself.

Essendon is committed to providing an inclusive, diverse and a safe Club, where everyone is welcome and respected... We are deeply committed to our values and support wholeheartedly the work of the AFL in continuing to stamp out any discrimination based on race, sex, religion, gender, sexual identity or orientation, or physical or mental disability.

You would know this if you had actually been following the events rather than just posting a reactionary post.

What is communist about resigning? Let's not turn a mountain into a molehill - this sort of thing is quite common in business. Two of the directors at Energy Resources of Australia have just resigned because their vision contradicted Rio Tinto's. David Baldwin stepped down as Origin Energy's gas boss.

If your vision doesn't align with the organisation you work for, then why would you stay?

something something muh freedumbz something something.

It’s a parody. Says it twice in the screenshot.

Lmao that got me good. It's somewhat troubling when a fake headline like that is easily confused with the real thing. Age has already posted 5 articles this morning on the issue, at least 2 blaming Dan A for getting involved.

Wouldn't surprise me if their next step is a real opinion piece from Pete Evans on the matter.

Mate I agree wholeheartedly with you. I couldn't give a feck about religion (I think it's abhorrent with an enormous amount of examples as to why it is). Irrespective of my views, who the fck am I to force my opinion on others. He shouldn't have got the job because of his role in the NAB debacle...not because of his religious views that are his and his alone.

Sad day when we take this grandstanding to this level.

It’s somewhat amusing how this alleged cancelled person still has a chairman job, and has been given plenty of opportunities to put out statements via various MSM outlets.

I don’t think conservatives know what cancelled actually means. His voice is louder than ever.

Mate I agree wholeheartedly with you. I couldn't give a feck about religion (I think it's abhorrent with an enormous amount of examples as to why it is). Irrespective of my views, who the fck am I to force my opinion on others. He shouldn't have got the job because of his role in the NAB debacle...not because of his religious views that are his and his alone.

Sad day when we take this grandstanding to this level.

It's not a single comment. There is a Youtube channel full of it. Including since he became chair.

City on a Hill appear to have acted swiftly to delete and/or hide all comments those YT videos since, so you now can't see the comments from their congregation - and some were arguably worse than the videos!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back