Another US mass shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

There's only a mass shooting every 10 days or so- that's a fairly poor effort from a population where you can legally buy a gun without a background check. Maybe things will change when there's a daily massacre?
Without a background check? Got a source for that?

The only thing that slightly annoys me is that realistically, this should get the same amount of news coverage in Australia as a Phillipines ferry tipping over or a bomb blast in Kabul.

Lots of people dead somewhere far away but kind of what you expected, so move on.

27858331_1627553943993257_3459841594043321826_n.jpg

Did some reading and it looks to me like the issue is generally overstated. The private sale of firearms across every state in the US definitely needs the same or similar rules that we have in our states, where the purchase can only be done through a licenced dealer as an intermediary, or after clearance has been received by police in writing. So they need to fix that - it's just common sense.

However, I also saw some info that broke down the stats about the numbers obtaining weapons through private sale and are therefore bypassing checks, and it's very small. Too many, but not the overblown issue it's being made out to be.

Sad but I do think most of us have accepted that nothing will change over there. Heard that this is the 15th school shooting so far this year! It’s madness.

Seen tweets saying its the 18th. At first I thought they meant 18th shooting this year... seeing it is only Feb 15. Then I re-read it... 18th school shooting this year.

They need some common sense gun control, and then need to build the wall to stop firearm trafficking. Otherwise it becomes another war-on-drugs scenario where the problems persist and the criminals get rich off it.
Build a wall?

FFS, do nimrod conservatives even try to understand a problem before blaming foreigners?

They need some common sense gun control, and then need to build the wall to stop firearm trafficking. Otherwise it becomes another war-on-drugs scenario where the problems persist and the criminals get rich off it.

They export illegal arms, not import them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Build a wall?

FFS, do nimrod conservatives even try to understand a problem before blaming foreigners?
Not everything has to be about race, sweetie. The Southern border has forever been rife with illegal smuggling activities, be it drugs, weapons, or humans. Not all of the smugglers are foreigners. Do you have an argument? Do you believe black market firearm sales would not increase post being banned?

Did some reading and it looks to me like the issue is generally overstated.
Some stats say 40% of guns acquired without background checks. The article linked says it's closer to 20%. Even if it's only 10%, that's still 30 million guns.

Happy to admit I'd have killed heaps of people if getting a firearm was that easy. I really would have.
What time do the 'crisis actors' people normally get on here?
Roughly three seconds after the media misreports a completely insignificant detail.

They need some common sense gun control, and then need to build the wall to stop firearm trafficking.

How would a border wall help the USA? The only firearms trafficking that gets 'stopped by the Wall' is guns going into Mexico and Canada from the USA.

According to [U.S.] Justice Department figures, 94,000 weapons were recovered from Mexican drug cartels in the five years between 2006 and 2011, of which 64,000 (70 percent) came from the United States.

Most of the weapons used by criminal groups in Mexico originate in the United States. Each year, an average of 253,000 firearms cross the border, the overwhelming majority of which come from the Southwest states of California, Texas and Arizona.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-kinosian-weigend-guns-mexico-20170302-story.html

A quarter of a million firearms leak into Mexico from the USA every single year.

Not everything has to be about race, sweetie.

Check your facts before you infer that Mexico is to blame for the USA's gun problems. It actually works the other way around. Its harder to get a gun in Mexico than it is to get one in the USA by several orders of magnitude, and if you're getting a firearm in Mexico, odds are (70 percent) that it was smuggled into the country from the USA at some point.

If youre getting a firearm in the USA, odds are overwhelmingly (99+ percent) that it was at least at some stage legally purchased in the US of A.

Last edited:
Some stats say 40% of guns acquired without background checks. The article linked says it's closer to 20%. Even if it's only 10%, that's still 30 million guns.

Happy to admit I'd have killed heaps of people if getting a firearm was that easy. I really would have.
Yep, the 40% was the figure used by Obama a lot according to what I read. I also saw articles pull that apart and honed it down to around 5% that represented what the issue was being portrayed as, and then assert that none of the well publicised mass killings were done by people who legally obtained weapons (at the time of the article anyway).

Wouldn't go around saying you'd blow people away wily-nily btw.

Suspect was known to police, was expelled from said school for being violent, had threatened students and the school itself with violence, had an Instagram full of aggressive, violent, threatening imagery. Much like Columbine, sounds like this shooting could have been avoided had someone taken this nut seriously. At least they caught the kent alive this time.

Florida this time. 17 dead. High school. Teachers and kids the victim.

What's sad is that I logged on in Perth and there wasn't a thread about this. Are we just that desensitized now to the US having these mass shootings every few weeks that we just shake our heads in shock and incredulity at the Yanks and their obsession with guns whereby this kind of thing is seen as normal or a reasonable price to pay for loose firearm laws?

Or is it just that we've seen it before and said it before and we know that nothing is going to change?

Seriously. How can they just sit there and do nothing while these horrific events keep happening?

And are we at the point of saturation where we'e long ago realised they aren't going to change?

(Sorry about the font; my phone does this sometimes).
I was in the US when Sandy Hook happened, watched live as Piers Morgan told America how utterly stupid they were as a country for allowing this to continue.

If Sandy Hook didn't change things literally nothing will.

I was in the US when Sandy Hook happened, watched live as Piers Morgan told America how utterly stupid they were as a country for allowing this to continue.

You know something is totally fubared when Piers f***ing Morgan is the voice of reason.

I blame Americans. All of them.

They could stop this tomorrow if they wanted to, but they dont.

Yep, the 40% was the figure used by Obama a lot according to what I read. I also saw articles pull that apart and honed it down to around 5% that represented what the issue was being portrayed as, and then assert that none of the well publicised mass killings were done by people who legally obtained weapons (at the time of the article anyway).
I can't find a recent figure beyond 20% which came from a survey of 1,500+ gun owners. Have you got a link that states 5%?

And no, I wouldn't have gone on a shooting spree, but there's kids in every country in the world that would- Sandy Hook, Florida, Columbine, all teenagers.
I blame Americans. All of them.

They could stop this tomorrow if they wanted to, but they dont.
Tomorrow? There's millions of guns. They need to change the laws, change their culture, and remove the weapons they already have.

It's going to take generations to stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Another US mass shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back