Anthony Stevens on Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm wasnt exactly cooked......struggled but wasnt cooked. His last game for us he bagged 5 goals against Jakovich.

Not really cooked I'd say.

One thing I will say.....his heart wasnt in it after the incident.

Jakovich was cooked, broiled and snap frozen. All I'm saying is Carey was not about to play his best season. He may have played well in 2002 but he was not at the peak of his powers.

Indeed, and that is why Stevo was the best man at Carey's wedding and Carey was the best man at Stevo's wedding.

Except neither of those things happened.

Stevo and Carey were NOT best mates. They just played in the same team. They were very different characters. Many of the long time team mates had grown up and settled down by 2002. Carey was still an immature and sociopathic playboy, and the rest of them were starting to become a little tired of his antics. Carey and Stevens were certainly not as close as two blokes could be at that point in time. That doesn't excuse Carey of course. It's just a common and incorrect narrative that always annoyed me.
Stevo was the only North player that was a groomsman at Careys wedding 12months before the affair started, but yeah you are probably right.

The conclusion I'm drawing from many of these posts is that people think Anthony and Kellie made up and are still playing happy families? I thought they got back together for a while after the incident but split up for good many, many years ago.

Please correct me if I've got this wrong.

I still recall going to the first training session at Arden St after the incident and cheering when Stevo ran onto Arden St with his great mate Arch close by his side. Poor bugger having to deal with this in the public eye. For some strange reason another memory that always pops up when I'm reminded of this incident is the Sydney Swans team sheet that came out shortly after the incident the center line was listed as.........

Carey (Stefan), Kelly (Paul), Stevens (John)

The conclusion I'm drawing from many of these posts is that people think Anthony and Kellie made up and are still playing happy families? I thought they got back together for a while after the incident but split up for good many, many years ago.

Please correct me if I've got this wrong.

I still recall going to the first training session at Arden St after the incident and cheering when Stevo ran onto Arden St with his great mate Arch close by his side. Poor bugger having to deal with this in the public eye. For some strange reason another memory that always pops up when I'm reminded of this incident is the Sydney Swans team sheet that came out shortly after the incident the center line was listed as.........

Carey (Stefan), Kelly (Paul), Stevens (John)
Na they are defo not together.

The shitstorm in the media where this was dragged out into the public light, they could have sat behind closed doors and decided to keep it in-house to save all their reputations and Carey would be traded away. They could have said Carey needed time away from the game and could have just been sent overseas until the end of the season. Did everyone need to know about all this shit?

Refusing to go to club social events because Carey would be there, dude, you don't have to talk to him. The angst in the game vs the Crows. It wasn't a good look for anyone. The club has been made a laughing stock over this and it could have been avoided, didn't the dogs have something similar happen that was handled behind closed doors?

I agree with you 100% it was a shit thing to do, but if you think pledging a commitment before god is on the same level as a commitment two blokes have as mates then you are dreaming. Half the blokes you think are your mates would cheat behind your back if your missus initiated it and pushed it. It happens all the time. Men think with their dick, they are stupid.

I am in no way saying that Carey was innocent or hard done by, he was an idiot, he deserved what he copped. However, Stevo has said before he wanted to put it behind him and move on, how is this moving on?

I just don't think it should have ever been made public, if anything, for the sake of his kids. Imagine you are one of the kids, do you really need this shit coming up again?

Why do you assume the interview is all about the cheating?

There was so much more to Stevo's career then the affair. He is an ex-champion of the game, has every right to do an interview and talk about his career. Can't be expected to keep silent for the rest of his life and never talk about the great footy things he did or reflect on his career, because someone might bring up the cheating saga again.

Ludicrous.

Also, the fact you know about the Bulldogs situation which involved Scott West cheating with Simon Cox's wife, even though the Dogs did everything to keep the situation secret - show's you can't keep these things hidden in the footy world. People would have known and it would have got out eventually and would have blown up even more because it involved two of the games biggest stars (Carey and Stevens).

Completely naive to think it could ever have been covered up, unless you called in the mafia to kill everyone
who was there at the party that night.

The problem with all of this is that in 2002 there were no kids on the scene.

Now I am sure we have all done things that will be embarrassing to explain to our children, but in most cases I suppose we get the opportunity to choose whether or not we need to speak of the deeds.

In this instance there is nowhere for either of these guys to hide the story.

So for both of them I do feel sympathetic towards them in having to have some unpleasant chats with their kids.

The problem with all of this is that in 2002 there were no kids on the scene.

Now I am sure we have all done things that will be embarrassing to explain to our children, but in most cases I suppose we get the opportunity to choose whether or not we need to speak of the deeds.

In this instance there is nowhere for either of these guys to hide the story.

So for both of them I do feel sympathetic towards them in having to have some unpleasant chats with their kids.
Carey's missus was pregnant....just saying like.

Saints, I think the club did their best at the time, to did the right thing........Carey had to leave. Unfortunate, but there was no other solution.

Don't agree at all mate but that's cool. It's done now so all good and hope the King comes back to the club soon to impact the club positively - we need it, the current group are going nowhere.

He isn't the only AFL player to have sins, ignoring Harley now the AFL darling Hodge drunk drove and (more irresponsible safety wise just apparently not as news worthy) but that is fine and swept under the rug because again, it was handled properly without unnecessary drama and in a positive fashion.

We should have done the same and told those with private issues outside playing footy to remember why they are getting paid or move on themselves. It's a footy club - nothing more.

Last edited:
Why do you assume the interview is all about the cheating?

There was so much more to Stevo's career then the affair. He is an ex-champion of the game, has every right to do an interview and talk about his career. Can't be expected to keep silent for the rest of his life and never talk about the great footy things he did or reflect on his career, because someone might bring up the cheating saga again.

Ludicrous.

Also, the fact you know about the Bulldogs situation which involved Scott West cheating with Simon Cox's wife, even though the Dogs did everything to keep the situation secret - show's you can't keep these things hidden in the footy world. People would have known and it would have got out eventually and would have blown up even more because it involved two of the games biggest stars (Carey and Stevens).

Completely naive to think it could ever have been covered up, unless you called in the mafia to kill everyone
who was there at the party that night.

Agree 100% have played in footy clubs where blokes have tapped other blokes missus (is good for morale lol, no not really but hey it's a team game!) and it happens at all levels. The whole reason it was such a big story was because arguably the greatest player ever cut the lunch of one of his best mates..
And yes as stupid as us blokes are if there is opportunity to sink the pink elsewhere we are usually stupid enough to take it and then think about it after, Stevo deserves to have his time in the medja to talk about it if he wants regardless whether or not he gets any $$ or not and if so flipping good on him he deserves it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that's absolute crap. Say the name Wayne Carey, and people all over the country remember a brilliant footballer who did a few things off field that tarnished his reputation. Say the name Kellie Stevens, and all people remember is one thing. She did not get off lightly. Many women have had affairs. Very few have had their name and reputation tarnished so publicly.

Say the name Kellie Stevens and your average person will say

Who?

Doesn't Stevo have kids? Don't they all have kids? Why agree to discuss this now? Wouldn't it have been great for Stevo's son to sit down and watch Open Mike with his old man and hear about his wonderful career..not now. Hell, the only ads for the program I have seen are about "The Affair". Nice for the kid to learn about his mum like this. It's all history now ...a sad history for everyone involved including our club. Perhaps it might help Anthony and Fox footy ratings but no one else. Let's hope Mike doesn't dwell too long on it....I won't be watching.

Don't agree at all mate but that's cool. It's done now so all good and hope the King comes back to the club soon to impact the club positively - we need it, the current group are going nowhere.

He isn't the only AFL player to have sins, ignoring Harley now the AFL darling Hodge drunk drove and (more irresponsible just apparently not as news worthy) but that is fine and swept under the rug because again, it was handled properly without unnecessary drama and in a positive fashion.

We should have done the same and told those with private issues outside playing footy to remember why they are getting paid or move on themselves. It's a footy club - nothing more.

Nah I don't want Carey back.

There are better coaches with less baggage than what he has.

Besides he's in the media, that's what he revived his profile to do.

A lot of people have an opinion on what Stevo should do. It's entirely his call. Let him do as he pleases. North are bigger than this story.

Agreed, some very judgmental, ignorant and borderline disrespectful comments of a North legend.

Doesn't Stevo have kids? Don't they all have kids? Why agree to discuss this now? Wouldn't it have been great for Stevo's son to sit down and watch Open Mike with his old man and hear about his wonderful career..not now. Hell, the only ads for the program I have seen are about "The Affair". Nice for the kid to learn about his mum like this. It's all history now ...a sad history for everyone involved including our club. Perhaps it might help Anthony and Fox footy ratings but no one else. Let's hope Mike doesn't dwell too long on it....I won't be watching.

Oh please, you sound like Helen Lovejoy. "Won't someone think of the children"

They have the internet, they would have found out anyway (assuming they don't know already).

The shitstorm in the media where this was dragged out into the public light, they could have sat behind closed doors and decided to keep it in-house to save all their reputations and Carey would be traded away. They could have said Carey needed time away from the game and could have just been sent overseas until the end of the season. Did everyone need to know about all this shit?

Refusing to go to club social events because Carey would be there, dude, you don't have to talk to him. The angst in the game vs the Crows. It wasn't a good look for anyone. The club has been made a laughing stock over this and it could have been avoided, didn't the dogs have something similar happen that was handled behind closed doors?

I agree with you 100% it was a shit thing to do, but if you think pledging a commitment before god is on the same level as a commitment two blokes have as mates then you are dreaming. Half the blokes you think are your mates would cheat behind your back if your missus initiated it and pushed it. It happens all the time. Men think with their dick, they are stupid.

I am in no way saying that Carey was innocent or hard done by, he was an idiot, he deserved what he copped. However, Stevo has said before he wanted to put it behind him and move on, how is this moving on?

I just don't think it should have ever been made public, if anything, for the sake of his kids. Imagine you are one of the kids, do you really need this shit coming up again?

I was on Bigfooty that day. It was public long before the club had any say in how it would play out.

Wasn't Carey her second dalliance at the club? I thought we delisted a kid for shenanigans.

Stevens separated when they moved bush to avoid publicity and try to "be normal". Maybe they reconciled and some of us never knew.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the interview. I'd like Mike to ask at what point did Stevo realise the GOAT was also an absolute campaigner of a human.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anthony Stevens on Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back