Universal Love Anyone else think Grant Birchall will have a mega breakout year in 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

HyperAgressiveDonk

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2008
Red Moon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
City Middle & Angela Surf City
Been thinking about this a bit lately, and I really think Grant Birchall could become a top 20 player in the comp sooner rather than later. I know he was very good this year and close to AA selection, but I think he is capable of lifting his game to another level.

He is only 23 and seems to have every single thing going for him for a footballer. He's 193cm, has heaps of run and carry, is a beautiful user of the ball ( going at 81% DE in 2011 ), and has now become a good body on body defender on KPFs. He also reads the play better than anyone at Hawthorn as well and plays on talls and smalls equally well :thumbsu:

Will be a top 20 player in the comp in 2012. Book it :D Anyone else with me?

Yeh i thought he did that in 2011 ?

sometimes AA can lag a bit

Birchall Lewis Bailey Junior Franklin Roughead look like the next leadership group at this point.

Still holding out for Young and Ellis

Got tagged a few times this years which shows how much he is rated by the opposition. I would be happy if he could just back up with another year like this one. Hope 2012 is not a 'down' year.

Having said that...... only 23! He has not peaked yet which is grounds for optimism.

Birch went off the rails after our premiership like a lot of his comrades but 2011 showed he is back to his best. The thing I liked most this year was the improvement he has made in his hardness at the contest and defensive side of his game to complement the attacking flair he has always had. Only has to stay on track to be considered a star. Now let's hope Ellis does the same next season.

Been thinking about this a bit lately, and I really think Grant Birchall could become a top 20 player in the comp sooner rather than later. I know he was very good this year and close to AA selection, but I think he is capable of lifting his game to another level.

He is only 23 and seems to have every single thing going for him for a footballer. He's 193cm, has heaps of run and carry, is a beautiful user of the ball ( going at 81% DE in 2011 ), and has now become a good body on body defender on KPFs. He also reads the play better than anyone at Hawthorn as well and plays on talls and smalls equally well :thumbsu:

Will be a top 20 player in the comp in 2012. Book it :D Anyone else with me?

Care to elaborate on what part of his game you think Birchall will lift?

Birch went off the rails after our premiership like a lot of his comrades but 2011 showed he is back to his best. The thing I liked most this year was the improvement he has made in his hardness at the contest and defensive side of his game to complement the attacking flair he has always had. Only has to stay on track to be considered a star. Now let's hope Ellis does the same next season.

Totally agree on this - some of the efforts this year where he just threw himself at the ball were awesome..

I love the Birch, but in order to take the next step he needs to work on his right side. If he can develop an option with his right foot he will be far less predictable.

I don't think he can rise 'that' much to have a breakout year. He would have to rise significantly (another 20-25%) to achieve this. He is a good player tho

Hope the guy gets more recognition next year. He didn't finish top 3 and ahead of buddy in the B&F for nothing.

Also think he was a bit stiff not to get an AA spot. When rebounding he was just as effective as Davis/Murphy, yet was a better defender than both of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll consider 2012 a breakout year if he learns how to spoil.
;)
Tyrannosaurus%20Rex.jpg

I really hope he does have an even better year next year. I don't think he needs a 'break out' year as such, he has been consistently in the Hawks best 22 since he was recruited and this year he was considered in the best 40 players in the comp according to the AA selectors. He has already broken out. However, he can still improve his stature in the game quite a bit with another really good year next year. He is probably a little underrated outside of Hawthorne (at least by the fans).

I personally rate him as the best Tasmanian player in the AFL at the moment, just ahead of Reiwoldt and Robinson. He is definitely a player I always keep my eye on, really solid, very composed and polished.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Anyone else think Grant Birchall will have a mega breakout year in 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back