Expansion Anyone watching the games with foreign commentary?

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched as much as I could of the Vietnamese (quote: 'Gold Coast Lions') match. Love the fact it was commentated in Vietnamese, as I've been pondering to do it myself as an amateur for a while.

However, the commentating was an absolute joke (taking into account lack of experience, knowledge of the game and players) with constant use of bilingualism. The female commentator kept using English words that a Vietnamese audience wouldn't understand, and render the sentence incomprehensible; 'Cai nay la cai lingo cua nguoi Uc'.

Commentary was essentially 'player 22 kicks it to... what's his number, I can't see...player 22 gets it back, he kicks it again'.
Yeah I noticed this too in another match. I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing as many migrant families are bi or multilingual (and the target audience is probably first and second generation Aussies from CALD backgrounds).
Poor commentary on the other hand (in any language) gets up my nerves (thankfully this wasn't an issue in the match I saw), so it just means that we need more people who know their footy AND are fluent in another language :D

Yeah I noticed this too in another match. I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing as many migrant families are bi or multilingual (and the target audience is probably first and second generation Aussies from CALD backgrounds).

Agree. Though I'm in Vietnam at the moment and would really like to show Vietnamese workmates etc the Vietnamese commentary but half of it wouldn't be understood anyway.

The male understood the game very well seeing as he's a community goal umpire, but the female... She's more indicative of how new this is to the Vietnamese community. I sincerely doubt she had actually seen a game of AFL before.

Agree. Though I'm in Vietnam at the moment and would really like to show Vietnamese workmates etc the Vietnamese commentary but half of it wouldn't be understood anyway.

The male understood the game very well seeing as he's a community goal umpire, but the female... She's more indicative of how new this is to the Vietnamese community. I sincerely doubt she had actually seen a game of AFL before.
That's really cool. Are you enjoying your time there?
AFL is confusing enough to understand for people who are more used to the game and are watching in their native language haha
Perhaps try showing your workmates video commentary (once it's available on the AFL website) ?
All the best :)

That is awesome I'm gonna watch the Spanish one now. When The Dockers were in the grand final a couple years ago they also had Spanish commentary but I couldn't get it to work, I spent the entire first quarter trying to make it work before realising "Wtf am I doing I'm missing the grand final" and giving up

She was on 360 and she's a Lions' fan as far as I can remember. She also freely admitted to not seeing too many games other than those with the Lions.

Do they drop a "donde esta la biblioteca"
I wish :( but no. I have a great Community T-shirt with that on it :D
gc4645112517238219373.jpg

She was on 360 and she's a Lions' fan as far as I can remember. She also freely admitted to not seeing too many games other than those with the Lions.

Just had a search and fount it
And realised I know her from her comedy show based on a Vietnamese upbringing in Australia. I was not too fond of her before but ah well... :)

Nitpicking here but constantly calling her team the Gold Coast Lions (in English) in the 1st, and looking for numbers on jumpers for both teams because she knew no names was offputting. But again, loved hearing a Vietnamese flavor to the game for the first time overall.

#givemeacallGill :thumbsu:

We need the foreign soccer commentators to commentate afl

goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll eiei oallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

The Spanish dudes came pretty close! Laaaaarrrrgoooooo Laaaaarrrrgoooooo HAAAAWKIIIIN! The S is silent cause I guess they were from somewhere in Latin America :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a search and fount it
And realised I know her from her comedy show based on a Vietnamese upbringing in Australia. I was not too fond of her before but ah well... :)

Nitpicking here but constantly calling her team the Gold Coast Lions (in English) in the 1st, and looking for numbers on jumpers for both teams because she knew no names was offputting. But again, loved hearing a Vietnamese flavor to the game for the first time overall.

#givemeacallGill :thumbsu:

He reminds me of the Spanish commentator at the end:

Was gutted there was no Serbo Croat commentary this time around, thought the guys who did the 2013 GF were awesome.

Would have thought there was a pretty decent Slav community into footy here. Fact that some of the languages were used in two games was pretty poor, should have spread it around to at least have 9 different languages for 9 games surely.

Great concept though. Should be a regular thing, would make it a little easier to pump up footy interest overseas surely?

Exactly, just sack BT and use his wage to fund the commentary costs for all 9 games all year. It would make more sense to the English speaking viewers too! :thumbsu:

Exactly, just sack BT and use his wage to fund the commentary costs for all 9 games all year. It would make more sense to the English speaking viewers too! :thumbsu:
Ha yes :thumbsu:

Sadly, BT's work has already been exported on our behalf overseas...

Could always spend his wage on more comedy sound effects :rainbow:

I watched Dons vs Giants in arabic. You could tell the two guys knew their stuff as they got most of the players right and also interjected a few little anecdotes, e.g. about Leigh Matthews when a player ran into the point post.

Lots of energy, probably too much if anything for some of the mundane plays, but definitely enjoyable nevertheless.

I wish there was a game in French as it's the only other language I understand, but I get that they are trying to cater for the most commonly-spoken languages in Australia.

A very nice initiative, but probably could have reached a bigger audience if it were a Fox Footy "red button" thing, like the press red for ed.

That's weird just checked her Twitter account. She's a die hard Hawks supporter.

Looks like the AFL forced her to do the Brisbane v Gold Coast game and lie about the team she supports.

Fitzpatrick is an animal who can't be stopped!

I think they aimed too low.

With the following helpful phrase book, you can commentate a hawthorn game BT style, in seven different languages simultaneously-

Grande Garçon McEvoy!

Mcevoy es un niño grande!

H̄nùm h̄ıỵ̀ McEvoy!

McEvoy är en stor pojke!

Ein großer Junge McEvoy!

McEvoy-san no ōkina otokonoko!

这么大男孩McEvoy!

I live in el salvador and get one game a week here. Commentators are generally pretty good (a few wrong names here and there which can be excused).

Ive been spreading the word to coworkers and friends. Most have been pretty receptive if not a little confused.

What has been shit is that the game transmitted here is the supposed friday night showpiece. While carlton floggings can be a sadistic pleasure they're not a
great advertisement for first time viewers. No drama, ambience, contest.

I listened to the Dogs vs Port Mandarin commentary yesterday, only coz I speak Chinese. There's not really any point if you don't know what they're saying.
Is the commentary any good?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Anyone watching the games with foreign commentary?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back