Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The University of Tasmania has been around since 1890 and has over 40,000 students. Hobart is a pretty vibrant little place and offers an amazing lifestyle.

How many of them regularly attend campus in Hobart?

How many of them regularly attend campus in Hobart?

Not that this has anything to do with footy. I did attend the place sometime last century, that & the Uni bar! Great spot that was, especially Friday arvo:).

The figure of 40k did surprise me. UTas website says 38k, even so

Apparently about 10k bodies in Hobart & 5k in L'ton.

Some in Burnie & in Sydney. I'd think the rest online?

Anyway, back to the footy, maybe. ;)

Not that this has anything to do with footy. I did attend the place sometime last century, that & the Uni bar! Great spot that was, especially Friday arvo:).

The figure of 40k did surprise me. UTas website says 38k, even so

Apparently about 10k bodies in Hobart & 5k in L'ton.

Some in Burnie & in Sydney. I'd think the rest online?

Anyway, back to the footy, maybe. ;)

Thanks, that's a lot close to what I would have thought.

The supposed 'relevance' of the poster I was responding to was along the lines of Hobart having a great nightlift, and using 40K UTas students as a demonstration of this.

and you know me...I see conclusions supported by 'facts' that don't actually support the conclusion claimed, and I question it...

I guess people get a little bit impatient when they are made told to wait two years to get an answer for something how strange 😂

Yeah, imagine not making long term strategic decisions that will commit you to hundreds of millions in expenses during the biggest disruption to the competition in decades (probably ever).

Mind you, it does solve the problem.

If a years delay has killed AFL in tassie, there is no further need for a team. (and even if there still was, it's way too fragile an environment to make that kind of commitment to).

Thanks, that's a lot close to what I would have thought.

The supposed 'relevance' of the poster I was responding to was along the lines of Hobart having a great nightlift, and using 40K UTas students as a demonstration of this.

and you know me...I see conclusions supported by 'facts' that don't actually support the conclusion claimed, and I question it...

Well I can vouch for many a brilliant friday night at the Unibar, followed by some foggy days at the footy.

Then hair of the dog after the footy on Saturday :)

These days its a couple of slow pints of Pale Ale at the New Sydney or wherever its on tap, then home for tea with the cheese & kisses.

Maybe 'sip' a red at home if friends lob. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like no AFL in Tassie in 2022 then. Gutwein has said he still won't entertain new deals with the Hawks and Roos without a clear pathway for Tassie to join the league.

Tas strategy...

shoot foot.jpg

Really a pretty low brow post.

The strategy is simple.

Cut the crap Gil. Here's our proposal, address it in the professional manner in which it was sent, 12 months ago.

If its no, show some guts you weak gutless ponce & say so now.

Losing AFL footy here caused no state wide disaster in 2020.

It'll cause more heart burn at Hawthorn & especially North, than anything else.

I don't think we'll see the end of AFL footy here whatever happens. But I bet North will be given the boot, Hawthorn I think may survive but with pressure on the quality of games, maybe a rotation of other clubs like St Kilda as mentioned.

NRL's been mentioned here, so maybe Melbourne Storm for a game.

So I think they could look at broadening the net for Winter attractions. My bet being an extension of MONA winter festivals to cover the North of the state better.

MONA's winter festivals proven a massive boon to tourism, with a different set of people.

I think we've effectively outgrown FIFO as its been presented.

So maybe less/no footy? More rotation of teams? Contracts more based on public appeal & attendance.

Anything's possible now Gil's shown his arrogance to a Premier who is happy to take the AFL to task.

The strategy is simple.

Cut the crap Gil. Here's our proposal, address it in the professional manner in which it was sent, 12 months ago.

I don't think we'll see the end of AFL footy here whatever happens. But I bet North will be given the boot, Hawthorn I think may survive but with pressure on the quality of games, maybe a rotation of other clubs like St Kilda as mentioned.

So I think they could look at broadening the net for Winter attractions. My bet being an extension of MONA winter festivals to cover the North of the state better.

MONA's winter festivals proven a massive boon to tourism, with a different set of people.

So maybe less/no footy? More rotation of teams? Contracts more based on public appeal & attendance.

Anything's possible now Gil's shown his arrogance to a Premier who is happy to take the AFL to task.

Uh huh.

An all or nothing strategy when nothing means the poorest state in the country loses a major economic stimulus.

At a time when the charity they've been living off from the mainland is likely to dry up.

But hey, you've got a slim chance of getting what you want, so why not go all out!

Uh huh.

An all or nothing strategy when nothing means the poorest state in the country loses a major economic stimulus.

At a time when the charity they've been living off from the mainland is likely to dry up.

But hey, you've got a slim chance of getting what you want, so why not go all out!

Irrelevant waffle.

Irrelevant cheap shots reflect more on you than the Premiers strategy.

Its not all or nothing.

You really should broaden your thought processes.

You really dont understand politics.

Lived in Melbourne for two years and moved back in January last year. Lifestyle quality is so much better in Tasmania. Spent 850k, got a 4 bedroom house 10 minute walk from the city centre with city and mountain skyline views, absolute bliss. In Melbourne I'd be lucky to get a small townhouse in Footscray for that.

All I miss from Melbourne was the food from a wide variety of cultures and live footy.

Sweet personal anecdote, just a shame the fact's disagree with you and agree with me.

Young people, in general, do not want to live or visit Tasmania, everyone knows this and yet you people keep fighting it?

The strategy is simple.

what happens if Gil does turn around and says Tasmania get it’s team in 2030. Will Peter Gutwein be happy with that or is it 2025 or bust with him

Sweet personal anecdote, just a shame the fact's disagree with you and agree with me.

Young people, in general, do not want to live or visit Tasmania, everyone knows this and yet you people keep fighting it?

You must have suffered badly in the lockdown.

You should try & direct your negativity to some positive action.

Maybe run a raffle for a community footy club or do meals on wheels or some such.

Uh huh.

On the stimulus point, it's clearly not giving 'bang for buck's for the Tassie Government. If the Hawks and North played Melbourne teams (yes, I know Richmond played here but the was definitely not the norm) here the you would expect maybe a 1000 or so opposition fans coming down for a holiday. Usually though it's Freo/WC/GC etc that come down to play, so no influx of tourists with those teams. The lustre of the FIFO teams is gone and the premier wants to take the relationship to the next level. What's obvious is that the AFL 'just isn't that in to Tasmania'. Just like a girl whose happy to get some attention when she's lonely and act a little flirty, however 'she's not interested in a relationship right now'.

what happens if Gil does turn around and says Tasmania get it’s team in 2030. Will Peter Gutwein be happy with that or is it 2025 or bust with him

I don't know.

It would seem a little silly though.

A 10 year build up is longer than the US took to race to the moon after Kennedy announced it!

I'm sure it could be done easily in 4-5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back