Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we all please take a moment to acknowledge the additional stain on the legacy of demetriou and how he f’ed up the north relocation plan by being dodgey with the figures. He should have given north two options. Move to gc or west sydney.

And how was he going to force North to take one of those two "options"?

At the risk of repeating something that has been posted a hundred times, the AFL cannot make a club relocate. Not a hard decision, not a decision they are able to make.
Clearly this will need to be re-posted in this thread several hundred more times - about once an hour might suffice.

Pages and pages about how the AFL can't force relocation, then this:

Lost cause lol

Not force but offer an attractive deal as north powerbrokers were seriously considering at the time. Demetriou being dodgey with the 100 mill figure set off alarm bells at north and made them change their thoughts on potential relocation.

If Gutwein is true to his word, that will hurt both North and Hawthorn. It’s a lucrative agreement and replacing the revenue will be very difficult.

I think for all the copycat work the AFL do with American sport, there is one less they fail to learn. The NFL has shown scarcity has value. For years they have shown you can run the league on 16 games per season.

A nineteen team league lends itself to a 18 game H&A season. An even fixture, less travel for non-Vic teams and fewer games potentially helps with injury.

Not force but offer an attractive deal as north powerbrokers were seriously considering at the time. Demetriou being dodgey with the 100 mill figure set off alarm bells at north and made them change their thoughts on potential relocation.

There's no deal that would've been attractive enough to make the crowds at Dallas Brooks Hall go home.

1. The club belongs to the members
2. The members don't want the club to relocate
3. There is no third step, that's the end of this story

If Gutwein is true to his word, that will hurt both North and Hawthorn. It’s a lucrative agreement and replacing the revenue will be very difficult.

I think for all the copycat work the AFL do with American sport, there is one less they fail to learn. The NFL has shown scarcity has value. For years they have shown you can run the league on 16 games per season.

A nineteen team league lends itself to a 18 game H&A season. An even fixture, less travel for non-Vic teams and fewer games potentially helps with injury.
If an additional team leads to less games in the H&A season, no thanks.
I have no idea why anyone would advocate for less rounds during the year. 22 games is fine, we don't need less.

Your argument would make sense if all teams were treated equally by the AFL, which they aren't.
The fixture isn't fair, the same big teams get gifted the same big slot marquee games.

Make the fixture truly random, make the timeslots truly random, each team has the exact same stadium deal capped at the capacity of the smallest venue, give all teams time to settle and THEN you can argue about teams not making a profit in a more equal environment.

Whoa, whoa, whoa - I am very much in favour of equality but prefer it not happen where it disadvantages my interests.

It reeks of clawing back $20 million from welfare recipients using Robodebt while allowing fat fcks like Gerry Harvey to keep the hundreds of millions he has embezzled through Jobkeeper.

Neo-liberalism is a wonderful concept and it’s great to see Australians embracing it so whole heartedly.

OK, so the AFL have come out with a report that commits them to nothing which would have been the idea.

Onus on Gutwein to stop funding the Hawks and North now, ball in Tassie's court.

Gil is getting reamed politically.

Go back Gil…say we’ll do it but your government will provide $20m of funding to the club per year (tied to CPI or whatever) in perpetuity.

Start the negotiation. Get a deal for the game.

Is there anything more boring than Roylions Fitzroy semantics? Let it go mate, nobody cares.

Yeah.

Your "Biggest misstep the league has made in the last 20 years is not getting North to the Gold Coast. It has paved the way for every misstep and injustice that followed" is more boring.

And moreover....wrong. Tiresome having to correct you all the time.

So let it go mate, nobody cares.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“We want to run and operate our own team. We don’t want to rent one"

Gutwein goes bang. I do find it hard to believe that he'd really push for no AFL if push really came to shove, but it'd be incredible if he did. He's certainly more of a bold man than Hodgeman ever was on this issue.

Honestly the status quo is now untenible. If the AFL don't set a timeline then Tasmania needs to cut them off. Clearly their financial support to the AFL is working against them as the AFL is more comfortable simply getting the milk than buying the cow.

The AFL needs to weigh the cost of permanently losing direct payments, TV viewers and a talent pool of half a million, versus the cost of a team.

If Tasmania continue the status quo then they are admitting that they don't deserve a team.

Is there anything more boring than Roylions Fitzroy semantics? Let it go mate, nobody cares.

Did you ever consider maybe watching your football club get killed might cause one to have an interest in the mechanics of this sort of thing?

No they didn't.
You should tell the Brisbane Lions that. I found this quote on their website:

"July 4 1996 is a special day in AFL and Brisbane Lions history, it is the birth of a new club - when the Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy Football Club’s merged and became the Brisbane Bears Fitzroy Football Club Limited (trading has Brisbane Lions Australian Football Club), the AFL’s first merged club."

That the AFL revoked Fitzroy's license and rebranded the Brisbane Bears to achieve this, or that a "Fitzroy Lions" were later rebuilt and merged with the Fitzroy Reds in an amateur league, doesn't change that it was for all intents and purposes, a merger.

I am aware of what Net Tangible Assets are champ ;) I also read through the Hawks annual report.

Fair play.

Ive long said that the Tasmanian sponsorship is nothing more than an ego play from Kennett.

It’s completely unnecessary and unbecoming for a club that has the members, revenue and supposed financial strength (according to the club) to sponge the state like we have. It’s embarrassing, shameful and according to Colin Carter’s report unnecessary and detrimental for Tasmania’s aspirations for a licence...

It’s his one and only enduring legacy, that and sacking Clarkson, the Kennett curse, paying for ex CEO Ian Robson’s Harvard degree only for him to move to Essendon and more recently renewing Justin Reeves contract to an exorbitant 5 year term...

Jeff Kennett is basically John Elliot without the grandstand.

Last edited:
You should tell the Brisbane Lions that.

The Supreme Court of Victoria has already told them that. Even the Brisbane Lions argued in favour of that very fact, in trying to distance themselves in what they saw as Fitzroy Football Club 's "interference" in resisting the Lions' logo change from the Fitzroy Lion to the 'paddlepop' lion in 2010. The Brisbane Lions claimed that the Fitzroy Football Club was a club with a "shrinking if not vanishing supporter base that sought to meddle in the business of a current AFL club". (Brisbane Lions' barrister, Rodney Garratt QC, March 2nd 2010)

In 2010, Victorian Supreme Court Associate Justice Nemeer Mukhtar found that the Fitzroy Football Club still existed in its own right in the VAFA and was independent of the Brisbane Lions.

Merger was it? The Brisbane Lions were suing themselves in 2010?

I found this quote on their website: "July 4 1996 is a special day in AFL and Brisbane Lions history, it is the birth of a new club - when the Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy Football Club’s merged and became the Brisbane Bears Fitzroy Football Club Limited (trading has Brisbane Lions Australian Football Club), the AFL’s first merged club."

Well that's surprising. An AFL club trying to foster a Melbourne supporter base echoing the AFL marketing line about a merger.

That the AFL revoked Fitzroy's license and rebranded the Brisbane Bears to achieve this,

That's a rebranding, not a merger. Removing North Melbourne from the AFL competition and then rebranding the Gold Coast Suns as the 'Gold Coast Kangaroos' with royal blue and white vertical stripes as their jumper doesn't make it a merger either.

doesn't change that it was for all intents and purposes, a merger.

A rebranding is not a merger. Brisbane Lions (formed 1987)

Last edited:
To me I can’t see how any option other than a 19th team for Tasmania is plausible. Clubs have long planted their flags in living or dying in their current locations so short of forcing a team into insolvency to force them to move I’m not sure how they get a team to do it. And a joint venture is more or less what they have now so clearly that isn’t acceptable.

And if we are being totally honest Tassie should’ve got a team when the Bears, Eagles and Crows entered the competition. It’s time the AFL started looking after AFL heartland better.

From what I've read of his repetitive diatribes, Fitzroy hasnt been killed.

Which, in relation to a North Melbourne forced relocation to Tasmania or merger with another club to allow Tasmania to be admitted as an 18th team, means?

Go on. Connect the dots. Think it through. Read it again slowly if you must. You can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back