Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Las Vegas sends congrats to Dane and Taylor on the safe arrival of a future customer

ezgif-3-a29bb1c7bc62.gif
Even has his draft year

Yes Dave, but I think Henry , from what i have seen and read about him , could be utilised sitting high half forward, roaming, looks like he has the smarts, and more than a one trick pony

Stephenson also has Potential of being more then a 1 Trick Pony.

Stephenson on Wing/Mid where Henry can play down back Simlar to Howe or might even go on the Wing in time

WHE is mediocre.

I’m just saying he should be aiming for Hird not WHE.
I think what he should be aiming for is some senior games in 2021. Realistically he is a pick 17 medium forward which is a position which he may take time to be senior
ready. He hasn’t played for 12 months .

Give him a chance, if he makes it as a senior player it may take him a season or 3 to become best 22. True for all our 2020 recruits. Few if any are likely to have a big senior role for at least 12 mths

I think what he should be aiming for is some senior games in 2021. Realistically he is a pick 17 medium forward which is a position which he may take time to be senior

Give him a chance, if he makes it as a senior player it may take him a season or 3 to become best 22. True for all our 2020 recruits. Few if any are likely to have a big senior role for at least 12 mths
And I dont see the club rushing them before they are ready. They're big part of our future. Havent played much footy recently, so let them develop first. When they're ready, they're ready. Everyone comes at their own pace.

And I dont see the club rushing them before they are ready. They're big part of our future. Havent played much footy recently, so let them develop first. When they're ready, they're ready. Everyone comes at their own pace.
Yep don’t over expect. Won’t be a major issue if all of our draftees play mainly VFL in 2021.

Few if any draftees are likely to have a big senior role at any AFL club for at least 12 months. Unlike American sport our system isn’t designed that way. Across the league you might see 1-2 on average be best 22 of those you might get a couple that play more than a bit part role.

This century we’ve had Stephenson and Daisy as 18yo’s play a big role. Langdon at 19 was the other. That said at least one of Macrae, Chugg and McReery will be best 22 by the end of 2021 (barring injury), IMO, ala Steele, Fasolo and Beams who were role players in year one.

Few if any draftees are likely to have a big senior role at any AFL club for at least 12 months. Unlike American sport our system isn’t designed that way. Across the league you might see 1-2 on average be best 22 of those you might get a couple that play more than a bit part role.

This century we’ve had Stephenson and Daisy as 18yo’s play a big role. Langdon at 19 was the other. That said at least one of Macrae, Chugg and McReery will be best 22 by the end of 2021 (barring injury), IMO, ala Steele, Fasolo and Beams who were role players in year one.
Agreed. It’s very few who make a real difference season one and that the expectation we should have. Have 1 regular best 22 by season end is a real expectation as you say

Agreed. It’s very few who make a real difference season one and that the expectation we should have. Have 1 regular best 22 by season end is a real expectation as you say

I keep coming back to McCreery and Chugg as the most likely of this years draftees. McCreery as a mature ager, and they've both got a year of senior footy under their belts in 2020. Rantall, Bianco, and Ruscoe all have a year on the list so you'd think they'd also be in the frame for more senior exposure in 2021.

All you can ask of this years draftees is for their preseason and VFL form to put them into the frame for senior selection.

I see more J Hird in Henry then WHE. Style wise, WHE is a lot softer, whereas Henry has that mongrel and 1v1 ability WHE doesn’t have.

obv not saying he will win a brownlow, but think he should be aiming for Toby Greene or Luke Breust levels of output, rather than WHE

Agree overall about style like, his general build is already bigger then WHE.

WHE is mediocre.
I’m just saying he should be aiming for Hird not WHE.
He can aim for anything or anyone he wants, but the reality is he projects at being more like WHE than Hird. I'm sure we all hope we are wrong but that's what most think.
Anyway it makes no difference at what he aims for, his ability, desire and to a lesser extent injuries will see him become the player that he will be.

He can aim for anything or anyone he wants, but the reality is he projects at being more like WHE than Hird. I'm sure we all hope we are wrong but that's what most think.
Anyway it makes no difference at what he aims for, his ability, desire and to a lesser extent injuries will see him become the player that he will be.
I understand your reasoning but you are SUCH a ray of sunshine at the beginning of a new campaign.

I believe we all understand the stresses and percentages that operate on draftees to a large degree.

I see no point in belaboring them.

Agree overall about style like, his general build is already bigger then WHE.
Yep. WHE isn't mediocre because of his strengths - they're awesome, it's his ability in a contest that is the issue. If he becomes like WHE with more size and aggression, it'll be a drafting coup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand your reasoning but you are SUCH a ray of sunshine at the beginning of a new campaign.
I believe we all understand the stresses and percentages that operate on draftees to a large degree.
I see no point in belaboring them.
Mate I am a ray of sunshine as I am very bullish about our year.
But projecting him as good as Hird is a bit of a stretch. I do believe he will play seniors (possibly not this year), but most rate him more as WHE and I happen to agree. If people genuinely rated him that high he would have gone well before our pick.

Been watching some 2019 games, and we had no issue scoring. 7 times we scored over 100. 9 times we scored 70 points or more. Only 4 times we scored less than 70 points.

I thought we had a good balance. 2020 was where it went downhill.

Sorry Jen but 70 points is a very, very low bar in terms of assessing our scoring prowess.

The real issue in the latter half of 2019 was it signalled the beginning of our "kick 4-5 goals quickly and then shut up shop" mindset, which has become almost crippling on a systemic level and lost us more than a few games, as well as making numerous others way more difficult than they needed to be.

This in turn places significant pressure on our back six and defensive structures overall and the inevitable result was that they ended up cracking under the strain as the season carried on.

One thing that is absolutely true is that a lot of the time the best defence is a good offence and, in the case of our game, the ability to generate and maintain scoreboard pressure is what makes opposition players more jumpy in general, causes them to make poor decisions and spend more tickets trying to make something happen that isn't really there.

Without being able to consistently maintain scoreboard pressure instead of shutting up shop and trying to hang on we wont be going anywhere in terms of being a contender for the forseeable future.

Sorry Jen but 70 points is a very, very low bar in terms of assessing our scoring prowess.

The real issue in the latter half of 2019 was it signalled the beginning of our "kick 4-5 goals quickly and then shut up shop" mindset, which has become almost crippling on a systemic level and lost us more than a few games, as well as making numerous others way more difficult than they needed to be.

This in turn places significant pressure on our back six and defensive structures overall and the inevitable result was that they ended up cracking under the strain as the season carried on.

One thing that is absolutely true is that a lot of the time the best defence is a good offence and, in the case of our game, the ability to generate and maintain scoreboard pressure is what makes opposition players more jumpy in general, causes them to make poor decisions and spend more tickets trying to make something happen that isn't really there.

Without being able to consistently maintain scoreboard pressure instead of shutting up shop and trying to hang on we wont be going anywhere in terms of being a contender for the forseeable future.
Yeah, the 2nd half of the year we struggled to doubt. Has form issues and seemed to be in a rut. Didn't handle injuries as well as 2018, and the Stevo suspension didn't help things.

With Stevo gone could this provide an opportunity for WHE to rotate through the goal square more often which was a role he has played well a number of times.

in the reserves sure.

Yes they are. I mean getting salty over people not getting vibes and hoping to be wrong!
No, just no.

You just reek of "nah I know everything about footy and so I think I can predict a 18 years career based on a training session or notes of a training session.

"Salty"... Grow up buddy.

That would explain how quickly he was on the plane after training on friday. Probably wanted to use the weekend to pack up. If he was told NO, then he could have spent some extra time to say goodbye to mates he formed in melb before going back to Brisbane. Not get on the first flight out of there. Training finished closed to 1pm. He was at the airport by 3pm.
I have no idea why they sent him home but probably saw the opportunity to go up and see family while he can. But he will be taken for SPP. Howe won't be playing Round 1 and with injuries to him and what Langdon went through, he looks good insurance even at his age. Been very impressive on the track.

in the reserves sure.
It certainly didn’t take you long to revert to your horrible attitude towards our players. You should feel proud of yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back