Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

No, just no.

You just reek of "nah I know everything about footy and so I think I can predict a 18 years career based on a training session or notes of a training session.

"Salty"... Grow up buddy.
This is a juvenile post. Take your own advice.

Mate I am a ray of sunshine as I am very bullish about our year.
But projecting him as good as Hird is a bit of a stretch. I do believe he will play seniors (possibly not this year), but most rate him more as WHE and I happen to agree. If people genuinely rated him that high he would have gone well before our pick.
Agree Hird comparisons are a bit over the top but WHE at his present level is a low benchmark - somewhere in between - perhaps 2/3 the level of Hird seems a more likely ambition for him at the start of his career.
I understand why the club 'went for broke' fiddling with contracts and backending deals etc., we WERE close and with any sort of halfway decent luck should have snagged a flag but it was not to be.
That said we were probably a season overdue for the cleanout which left us vulnerable to vultures - I do hope the club remembers both North Melbourne's and Footscray's actions because we as a club helped them both when they were on their heels - long memory and pay back will be due.
With everything that has gone before it's wonderful to have skilled young draftees flowing through the system again.

I have no idea why they sent him home but probably saw the opportunity to go up and see family while he can. But he will be taken for SPP. Howe won't be playing Round 1 and with injuries to him and what Langdon went through, he looks good insurance even at his age. Been very impressive on the track.
I agree given ive seen first hand. Very impressive. Needs some muscle on him, and still raw, but I think his potential is clear as day.

Last edited:

His next game in the VFL will be the first of his career. While he looked a bit poor at times last year, he is every chance to finish as a 200 game player. Deserves a bit more respect.

Likely clock up his 100 CFC games this year.

Agree Hird comparisons are a bit over the top but WHE at his present level is a low benchmark - somewhere in between - perhaps 2/3 the level of Hird seems a more likely ambition for him at the start of his career.
I understand why the club 'went for broke' fiddling with contracts and backending deals etc., we WERE close and with any sort of halfway decent luck should have snagged a flag but it was not to be.
That said we were probably a season overdue for the cleanout which left us vulnerable to vultures - I do hope the club remembers both North Melbourne's and Footscray's actions because we as a club helped them both when they were on their heels - long memory and pay back will be due.
With everything that has gone before it's wonderful to have skilled young draftees flowing through the system again.
You are getting his ambition mixed up with what others see in him. Obviously his ambition is to be as good as he can be, but, that's why we got him when we did. If recruiters saw him as the next Hird he would have gone top 5 in the draft.

As a one eye Magpie man, I want to be proven wrong but most that have seen him, including the recruiters, agree with me.

Reality as opposed to ambition!!
PS I think he will be a handy AFL player.

You are getting his ambition mixed up with what others see in him. Obviously his ambition is to be as good as he can be, but, that's why we got him when we did. If recruiters saw him as the next Hird he would have gone top 5 in the draft.

As a one eye Magpie man, I want to be proven wrong but most that have seen him, including the recruiters, agree with me.

Reality as opposed to ambition!!
PS I think he will be a handy AFL player.
Sorry I didn't quite explain that fully.
I meant a more realistic ambition we or the club should have would be 2/3rds the player Hird was.

He can aim for anything or anyone he wants, but the reality is he projects at being more like WHE than Hird. I'm sure we all hope we are wrong but that's what most think.
Anyway it makes no difference at what he aims for, his ability, desire and to a lesser extent injuries will see him become the player that he will be.
how is he projecting more like WHE, when he hasnt played a game? Whats to say he doesnt end up being more like Jack Steele or Fyfe or Goddard? Just because he is a similar height and position to WHE. STYLE wise, I think he looks more like a Hird or Goddard type, as he has elite awareness, courage, strong marking, and silky skills. But mentality will play a huge role from here in. & I think he also looks to have a strong mentality, good build, and the requisite desire factors. I like the pick...

Last edited:
how is he projecting more like WHE, when he hasnt played a game? Whats to say he doesnt end up being more like Jack Steele or Fyfe or Goddard? Just because he is a similar height and position to WHE. STYLE wise, I think he looks more like a Hird type, but mentality will play a huge role from here in. & I think Henry looks to have a strong mentality, good build, silky skills and the requisite desire factors. His 1v1 skills are a good indicator of that. I like the pick...
Hird seems like an odd comparison, even style wise, given Henry has yet to display anything even close to the ability to get his hands on the ball to the degree Hird did. I feel like I’m missing something here, because everything I’ve seen and heard, even from training reports recently specifically says that while he had silky skills, he doesn’t get very much of the pill.

Hird seems like an odd comparison, even style wise, given Henry has yet to display anything even close to the ability to get his hands on the ball to the degree Hird did. I feel like I’m missing something here, because everything I’ve seen and heard, even from training reports recently specifically says that while he had silky skills, he doesn’t get very much of the pill.
Hird wasn't a huge accumulator of the ball. Didnt avg more than 19 touches in his first 4 seasons, and never avg'd more than 23.5. Less than Phillips. But he always hurt you with his possessions, including on the scoreboard. Henry has elite awareness, is a great decision maker, and hits the scoreboard. Reckon he will develop nicely, add more strings to his game, and will be great to track...

Hird wasn't a huge accumulator of the ball. Didnt avg more than 19 touches in his first 4 seasons, and never avg'd more than 23.5. Less than Phillips. But he always hurt you with his possessions, including on the scoreboard. Henry has elite awareness, is a great decision maker, and hits the scoreboard. Reckon he will develop nicely, add more strings to his game, and will be great to track...
Remember that Hird played at a time where 20-25 possessions as a mid was relatively high. The era of the 30-35+ touch player is only a relatively recent phenomenon. Even Buckley who was regarded as a relatively large accumulator back in those days had an average of 24 and career best year of 27. Hird playing modern footy with the way the game is played now would easily be a 25-30ppg player imo. While Henry has those attributes you mention, if he’s getting the pill only 10-15 times per game, he ain’t a Hird type. Despite that though, he could still be a very good player if he can make an impact with those limited possessions as a forward, on a consistent basis.

Remember that Hird played at a time where 20-25 possessions as a mid was relatively high. The era of the 30-35+ touch player is only a relatively recent phenomenon. Even Buckley who was regarded as a relatively large accumulator back in those days had an average of 24 and career best year of 27. Hird playing modern footy with the way the game is played now would easily be a 25-30ppg player imo. While Henry has those attributes you mention, if he’s getting the pill only 10-15 times per game, he ain’t a Hird type. Despite that though, he could still be a very good player if he can make an impact with those limited possessions as a forward, on a consistent basis.

Agree with you regarding the second half of Hirdy's career when he spent a fair bit of time in the midfield and was just basically plugged into whatever area of the ground the Bombers needed a lift. But in the first half, he won a brownlow as an undersized CHF - I think he'd be much less effective and get lower numbers in that role today.

But Hird is a shit comparison for any young draftee. He was Pendlebury like in the way he made time stand still when the ball was in his hands. Watching him, it was like he was in focus and everything around him was a blur - and that blur somehow missed him when trying to tackle even though he didn't appear to move - if you expect a kid to be like Hird, you're going to be very disappointed over and over again.

Agree with you regarding the second half of Hirdy's career when he spent a fair bit of time in the midfield and was just basically plugged into whatever area of the ground the Bombers needed a lift. But in the first half, he won a brownlow as an undersized CHF - I think he'd be much less effective and get lower numbers in that role today.

But Hird is a sh*t comparison for any young draftee. He was Pendlebury like in the way he made time stand still when the ball was in his hands. Watching him, it was like he was in focus and everything around him was a blur - and that blur somehow missed him when trying to tackle even though he didn't appear to move - if you expect a kid to be like Hird, you're going to be very disappointed over and over again.
Crazy how players like him slipped through the cracks and were drafted late back in those days.

Crazy how players like him slipped through the cracks and were drafted late back in those days.

He was an amazing footballer. Outside of the blokes like Buddy, Plugger, Peter Matera and Gaz Sr who just blew you away with how physically awesome they were one way or another, Daicos and McLeod are the only ones I'd put above him in terms of best to watch out of the the stars I've seen.

He actually was lucky to get taken when he was. Fair chance he would have had to wait until he was a mature ager with some runs on the board, if it wasn't for the family connection with the Dons, which meant that he was on their radar. He missed a lot of junior footy with injuries - and was in the ACT where not many were watched until the final year or two of juniors - when he was sitting in the stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comparisons to Hird are more about his forward craft than his midfield ability. It will be his ability to turn a game really quickly once he matures of coarse. Believe me, this kid has very special forward craft. A very fit Menzel might be a better comparison

The comparisons to Hird are more about his forward craft than his midfield ability. It will be his ability to turn a game really quickly once he matures of coarse. Believe me, this kid has very special forward craft. A very fit Menzel might be a better comparison
I like the Menzel comparison. Similar size, aerial ability etc. If he turns out to be a Menzel equivalent (minus injuries) that actually has a defensive game then we will have struck gold.

I like the Menzel comparison. Similar size, aerial ability etc. If he turns out to be a Menzel equivalent (minus injuries) that actually has a defensive game then we will have struck gold.

We could have gone a possible safer route and taken another midfielder but i'm glad we went for a point of difference. He will always be the third tall and will be hard to match up on, so if his defensive side is any good, which I'm led to believe it is, then we might just have a gem

It is a crazy bar though. Hird is the only bloke in the last 30 years to win a Brownlow playing as a forward. I think some don't remember how good he was.

I remember how good he was clearly and have been reminded it by a friend for 25 years, as Hird was my worst call in history - a call I don't deserve to ever live down. We were watching an Essendon reserves game and this young kid wearing 39 was playing well for the Don's. We both discussed how good he looked, before I said, "He'll star at this level, but in the AFL he'll just be a flaky flanker."

Comparing Henry to one of the greats in Hird... no pressure, kid!

Hird is a first-rate bellend off the field, but he was an obscenely gifted and consistently brilliant footballer.

Maybe we should just hope for a senior debut at some stage this season and go from there!

No, just no.

You just reek of "nah I know everything about footy and so I think I can predict a 18 years career based on a training session or notes of a training session.

"Salty"... Grow up buddy.

You’re first take had a FFS and ended with labelling others unbelievable. Despite that I’m the one that supposedly needs to grow up? A poster with 6 months and a few hundred posts on the board expressing that your POV holds plenty of weight hah.

Last edited:
I like the suggestion of Menzel - mostly since it makes sense to look for an adequate middle ground between WHE and Hird given there will have been probably 50 players to choose from in that window. Probably easier to understand a comparison to Menzel than to a 2/3 Hird.

If Henry can become a Menzel, that would be a terrific outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back