Are Indigenous/Dark footballers more gifted than Caucasians?

Remove this Banner Ad

i also find this thread racist. imagine if some wrote a thread saying caucasians are smarter than indigenous people, we need to stop this racism and join our two cultres together

Isn't that why there's so many non full blooded aboriginals?

We've been joining cultures at the hips for years now ;)

Franklin isn't eligible to be plonked on the aboriginal side when he's obviously got a fair bit of caucasian in him too.

By the same token he's not exactly a 'white dude', is he? And Geelong's Matthew Stokes is part... it's either Fijiian or Samoan. So he's not entirely indigenous Australian either. Was Gavin Wanganeen a 'full-blood'?

Still, all these players benefit (at least in part) from the indigenous blood that runs through them. Are they better? Some would say they're more freaky but then again, so are Geelong 'white dudes' Steve Johnson and the two Gary Abletts.

In a conversation whose title is 'Are Indigenous/Dark footballers more gifted than Caucasians?' I'd reckon equality, or lack thereof, on the genetic level has EVERYTHING to do it.

No, I wasn't having a go at your comment, I said that in response to the followup-

Of course all people should have the same rights. However if one person can not compete due to their genetic make up, is it equality that they get an unnatural advantage over another.

Maybe the poster didn't express themselves well, but that sounded to me like the standard bitch and moan about affirmative action or something. Human rights and genetic makeup are totally separate things.

No, I wasn't having a go at your comment... Maybe the poster didn't express themselves well, but that sounded to me like the standard bitch and moan about affirmative action or something. Human rights and genetic makeup are totally separate things.

Yeah, fair enough:thumbsu: I thought he differentiated between a 'general' equality as human beings and having a racial/genetic 'edge' as it applies to sporting prowess.

Interesting one with swimming. Its the only sport they struggle in. Tennis, motor racing and golf have all been recently conquered.

Maybe the fact that there is no 50m swimming pools, world class golf courses and facilities, F1 (farrari's) or tennis courts in third world countries is a bit of a contributing factor.

Just a thought??

And these Caucasian footballers come from 80% of the total Australian population. The Aboroginals dont have that luxury do they? Compare the numbers - that was the point of the OP.

Makes no difference whatsoever..the OP's premise is that indigenous players are more gifted than caucasions....if that was the case then if only 1 indigenous player played the game he would be the best player.
this is far from the case..so the answer is NO, indigenous players are not inherently more gifted than caucasions .

By the same token he's not exactly a 'white dude', is he? And Geelong's Matthew Stokes is part... it's either Fijiian or Samoan. So he's not entirely indigenous Australian either. Was Gavin Wanganeen a 'full-blood'?

Still, all these players benefit (at least in part) from the indigenous blood that runs through them. Are they better? Some would say they're more freaky but then again, so are Geelong 'white dudes' Steve Johnson and the two Gary Abletts.

Well in Franklin's case his height would come from his caucasian family lines.

r234691_942535.jpg

As would those green eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i also find this thread racist. imagine if some wrote a thread saying caucasians are smarter than indigenous people, we need to stop this racism and join our two cultres together

Mate thats a dam big call when you dont know anything about me. I am not racist, I was asking a question that a lot of people probably think about, but have never raised. Thats all their was to it. If you have misinterpreted the meaning behing the thread, I apologise.

The number of AFL footballers with indigenous backgrounds is at an all time high so have recruiters realised that Aboroginals are more developed than caucasians and are naturally more athletically gifted for AFL football?

Studies have been done in the States which put African-American's above other races for sporting prowess (cant remember the exact details but it wasnt a surprise). Are the indigneous players in the same bracket?

No. Indigenous people are over-represented in AFL because it's one of the few sports they play. To gauge their sporting ability compared to caucasions we need to look at the distribution across all sports, and you will probably find it's very much the same percentage as the percentage of total population (1.5-2%).

that skins ad is racist

It's also incorrect. "Black people are stronger", it claims. No, they are generally faster, more athletic, and agile. But if you look at the men who dominate strongmen competitions, olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, UFC, olympic throwing, armwrestling - they're all scandinavian, british, russian, or white americans. Pure strength actually goes to the white man, and it's a myth that african-americans are stronger.

Strongest deadlifter in the world - Andy Bolton (UK).
Strongest benchpresser in the world - Ryan Kennelly (USA).

Not trying to take anything away from them, but just dispelling a myth :)

The number of AFL footballers with indigenous backgrounds is at an all time high so have recruiters realised that Aboroginals are more developed than caucasians and are naturally more athletically gifted for AFL football?

Studies have been done in the States which put African-American's above other races for sporting prowess (cant remember the exact details but it wasnt a surprise). Are the indigneous players in the same bracket?

I don't know if they are more gifted, but one thing about Aboriginal footballers (without comparing them to any other ethnicity) is that most, if not all, seem to be able to produce that 'magic' moment in a match. Producing something out of nothing, making the crowd go 'how the ____ did he do that?'

I don't know if they are more gifted, but one thing about Aboriginal footballers (without comparing them to any other ethnicity) is that most, if not all, seem to be able to produce that 'magic' moment in a match. Producing something out of nothing, making the crowd go 'how the ____ did he do that?'

I'm sorry, but this whole thread is such rubbish...

You've never seen a white guy back heal a goal (Lloyd)...you've never seen a black guy do something stupid?

You've never seen a white guy do something "magic"?

For every Leon Davis or Budd Franklin moment there's one (or more) Dale Thomas or Jason Akermanis...

...just like for every Peter Cransburg there's a Willie Dick!

Some of the physiological "arguments" here are hilarious...but no...in answer to the thread question, "why did I bother?" springs to mind. :)

Amazing when you consider that the Americans were able to condense hundreds of thousands of years of human evolution into a period of 15-20 generations.

They must have had some pretty cluey eugenicists, those Americans.

Incidentally, what was the good era of American history?

when they have one ill let u know

but def. right up there with some of the worse things they have done

well thats what they say their heritage is

yes indeed, and that's the end of that. :thumbsu:

One thing that might be relevant (or not) is that Aboriginees apparently have a longer (?) Achilles tendon which better enables vertical leaping it seems.

Don't ask me - I saw it on the Discovery channel, or SBS, or something..

Genetics DOES have something to do with it. as someone stated in this thread, one side of africa is good at long distance and the other short distance and that comes down to genetics. one side of africa has bigger cells (might not be cells but something similar) whilst the other has smaller. this would be due to the way hey have evolved i would say. however genetics does not determine how well you are at sport, it just makes it easier because you have that natural ability.

yet again, as someone stated earlier, people are better at some sports because thats what they grew up with. compare a kid who has a soccer ball all the time from birth ie. the south american's, to someone who plays with a ball twice a week. it becomes a way of life. and because you spend so much time with that ball your able to do anything with it because they spend so much time with the ball. smae thing goes for africian american's with basketball. they play it so often from such a young age that they can do anything with it .

but it also comes down to the persons hunger to be the best at their sport. look at the judd from two years ago. he works harder than any other footballer there is and ultimately that is what will get you to the top of your sport.

This is an interesting topic. One thing that has always intrigued me about indigenous footballers is that a large proportion of them (i.e. seemingly a larger proportion than non-indigenous players) seem to have this sixth sense about what's around them during a game. A certain freakishness and unpredictability of movement as well.

But to answer the topic question, no, you couldn't possibly say with any conviction that they are more or less gifted than players of other races/origins. We have seen outstanding players emerge from several different backgrounds which throws that idea out the window. I do however think there is something to be said for various skill sets/qualities being more prominent in indigenous players than others.

yes indeed, and that's the end of that. :thumbsu:

One thing that might be relevant (or not) is that Aboriginees apparently have a longer (?) Achilles tendon which better enables vertical leaping it seems.

Don't ask me - I saw it on the Discovery channel, or SBS, or something..

yeah ive heard that as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Indigenous/Dark footballers more gifted than Caucasians?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back