Are the Dogs over rated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 days extra rest resulted in a premiership? Really? You are that dumb?
Finished 7th after h&a. Won the flag. Played some amazing footy in September and had some good fortune, starting with the bye. Their form and fortune cascaded through the finals culminating with some great footy and some ordinary umpiring on GF day. Good luck to them.

Should be rated somewhere between 7th and 1st.

I personally wouldn't have them flag favorites. Maybe 2nd or 3rd favorite. Hard to argue with anyone having them favorite though.

Nah I rated them highly after a few rounds in the 2016 season and had thought they'd be a chance to win it all at that time. The only reason I was skeptical of them winning the flag was just because of their mounting injuries. The week off bye allowed them to regain 5 integral players with sufficient fitness behind them and changed their final series.

I see no reason why they won't be top 3-4 next year (if not better). In fact I think its likely they will be better than last year but it still may not be enough if GWS are significantly better as well.

They were playing some seriously good football earlier in the year and people were wondering whether they could go all the way. I watched them absolutely brutalise a near fully-fit Freo and thought "this team has it". Then they collapsed around mid season as injuries accumulated and people wrote them off.

But I actually think they're as good, if not better than what we saw of them in 2016.
bang on. we didn't even really collapse. We kept the fire alive throughout the injuries. I remember after the Geelong game where we lost Macrae and Libba straight after losing Wallis, Redpath and Suckling v the Saints we went on to beat North, the Pies and, less impressively, the Bombers. I remember being so proud of it thinking it'd all be in vein. Our midfield was basically Bont, an underdone Dahlhaus and kids like Jong, Dunkley and Webb. Games like the Pies one, where they really pushed us, worse teams don't win. We had something in 2016 and got the choccies in so many games like that.

Yes you only turned up to play during a few weeks of the season. And we're overrated?

Seems you've had trouble adjusting, and a bit of cognitive dissonance (we won, you can't
credit why, you've still been drinking your own bath water that you heard prior to the Elim).

Don't get defensive champ, I'm not saying WC are better or that we are over rated. So take a breath. And what your saying isn't true anyway, we won 1 more game than you during the H&A. But that's not the point.

Yes Op they are and WCE are severely underrated and I am told you are a very good love maker too. Happy?

This has nothing to do with WC, it was just an example. I couldn't care less WC lost, we weren't good enough, simple as that.

Last edited:
The draw is pretty uneven, Geelong played Brisbane and Essendon twice, the Bullies played the two cellar dwellers once. It was an unusual year where we won so many games(forget) but still finished 7th. The top 7 then daylight to North 8th. So we finish where we did after a much tougher draw and lots of injuries then we were playing late on the last Sunday against Freo when all the results were in for the weekend and we couldn't move on the ladder. It was Pavs last game and a full Subi and without that incentive and a team having one last crack after long poor season farwelling their favourite son, with far from a full strength team. You only have to be 5% off in this game to lose to anyone. It's easy to see in hindsight that the Bullies with their guns back were a big chance after such a great year against adversity.

A few of you on this thread have missed the point. That's exactly the reason they might be over rated because they won the flag. Was it just a flash in the pan? Jesus, some of you need to use your brains.

Eagles got spanked at home. It wasn't even close.
A massive injury list made their form look worse than it was. I would suggest you look at the early rounds prior to injuries mounting up. The team has a great upside from players returning from injury. The winning GF team was missing Wallis, Adams, Crameri & Murphy.
How can a premiership winning team, with a large injury list be overrated? Better thread would be, are the Eagles overrated?

Eagles got spanked at home. It wasn't even close.
A massive injury list made their form look worse than it was. I would suggest you look at the early rounds prior to injuries mounting up. The team has a great upside from players returning from injury. The winning GF team was missing Wallis, Adams, Crameri & Murphy.
How can a premiership winning team, with a large injury list be overrated? Better thread would be, are the Eagles overrated?

No it wouldn't. No one gives a shit about WC. But the reining premiers that came from no where to win the flag? Now that's a more interesting discussion. Look at Leicester City in the EPL. They went from winning on the world stage to barely staying in the top flight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But they didn't come from no where. Did you watch them play prior to injuries mounting up?

To the public eye they did. They were $67 to win the flag in round 23. There is a reason that they were the underdogs in every game they played in the finals, there is a reason that it was the biggest shock AFL win in history. Many don't remember that at the end of August, NO ONE was saying the Dogs would win. How quickly people forget

You don't play the football they did by accident.

They set up the ground better than any other side, They have a game plan that is effective and the players know it inside out.

When they're on they become unplayable at times, No reason why that can't continue next season.

You don't play the football they did by accident.

They set up the ground better than any other side, They have a game plan that is effective and the players know it inside out.

When they're on they become unplayable at times, No reason why that can't continue next season.

But will they be found out next season? Any team that bursts out the blocks with an effective game plan can be smothered the year after. I will be waiting to bump this thread when the time comes. Playing devils advocate here, but I got that feeling. When the more experienced sides sit down and ask "how do we stop this side?" I think the young squad won't adjust.

I doubt they'll get the same help from the umpires as they did last year, they helped make the fairytale happen so no need to make it happen again.

Take away their umpiring advantage and they are just a middle of the road team, they'll probably make the top 8 but I doubt they'll go back to back.

I doubt they'll get the same help from the umpires as they did last year, they helped make the fairytale happen so no need to make it happen again.

Take away their umpiring advantage and they are just a middle of the road team, they'll probably make the top 8 but I doubt they'll go back to back.
Right on cue

To the public eye they did. They were $67 to win the flag in round 23. There is a reason that they were the underdogs in every game they played in the finals, there is a reason that it was the biggest shock AFL win in history. Many don't remember that at the end of August, NO ONE was saying the Dogs would win. How quickly people forget

Some of us made a lot of money taking some super juicy odds. Must admit I didn't bet against gws. Punters heavily backed the eagles, so the dogs odds lengthened. Perhaps it was just Eagles fans who didn't see it coming.
Dogs fans were confident about this coming year, when most of the players will have enough experience to perform consistently. 2017 is the year they should win it. Their Best 22/30 still looks extraordinarily young and inexperienced compared to most premiership teams.

But will they be found out next season? Any team that bursts out the blocks with an effective game plan can be smothered the year after. I will be waiting to bump this thread when the time comes. Playing devils advocate here, but I got that feeling. When the more experienced sides sit down and ask "how do we stop this side?" I think the young squad won't adjust.
We were meant to be found out last year. We won the premiership. I doubt that we will be found out this year either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back