Are the Dogs over rated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the reigning premiers are overrated, God help the other 17 teams. Maybe they should try a different sport (interestingly Jack Darling tried Duck, Duck, Goose, and Jeremy Cameron, Kurt Tippett and Gary Rohan all had a go at Hide and Seek during last year's finals).

Neither duck, duck, Goose or Hide & Seek are official sports. You need to learn sports

Did they pinched a flag earlier than expected? Yea sure weren't in the top 4 teams of 2017 however they weren't far behind and of the top 8 teams along with GWS they have the biggest scope of improvement. So are they overrated **** no, if it wasn't for the AFL's chimera I doubt any team would touch them for 3-5 years.

To the public eye they did. They were $67 to win the flag in round 23. There is a reason that they were the underdogs in every game they played in the finals, there is a reason that it was the biggest shock AFL win in history. Many don't remember that at the end of August, NO ONE was saying the Dogs would win. How quickly people forget
Surely the fact that all the 'smart money' suggested that we didn't have a hope means that we were seriously underrated

To the public eye they did. They were $67 to win the flag in round 23. There is a reason that they were the underdogs in every game they played in the finals, there is a reason that it was the biggest shock AFL win in history. Many don't remember that at the end of August, NO ONE was saying the Dogs would win. How quickly people forget

Using the round 23 odds in isolation is idiotic.

Our odds drifted out that far because we lost so many players to injury in the lead up to finals.

We started the year at $16 and were into $8 about a third of the way through. Hardly the same as Leicester, which you compared us to, that were $3000 before their season.

The bye, that every team had, gave us what unfair advantage exactly? Being able to pick a team that wasn't horribly injury depleted? Gee, if only all the other teams could also pick their best players, how unfair :rolleyes:

Using the round 23 odds in isolation is idiotic.

Our odds drifted out that far because we lost so many players to injury in the lead up to finals.

We started the year at $16 and we're into $8 about a third of the way through. Hardly the same as Leicester, which you compared us to, that were $3000 before their season.

The bye, that every team had, gave us what unfair advantage exactly? Being able to pick a team that wasn't horribly injury depleted? Gee, if only all the other teams could also pick their best players, how unfair :rolleyes:

No where in my post did I even mention the bye.

A few of you on this thread have missed the point. That's exactly the reason they might be over rated because they won the flag. Was it just a flash in the pan? Jesus, some of you need to use your brains.

No I haven't missed the point, I understand what you're saying and many share your view but I disagree with the premise of it.

For me the team that wins the flag is the number 1 team - therefore they cannot be overrated as you cannot get better than first place.
It has nothing to do with whether you go back to back, you are still the team to beat.

They may not back it up next year, but they are the Reigning Premiers until someone knocks them off their perch - it doesn't even matter whether they are leading the ladder next year or who they lose to, they are still the reigning premier's.
Since the best team is the best team of that season (ie the Premieres) then there is no other way to really judge it until they miss the 8 or are knocked out of finals as we've seen how Hawthorn can turn it on in Finals despite not looking they are going to win the premiereship during the season.

Similarly I hate it when people talk of the Hawthorn three-peat as some sort of fluke or act like a team is crap for losing a GRAND FINAL (ie 2nd place for the season) even though teams who lose prelims or semis have no such heat on them.

No. They are a great team. WC on the other hand are a massively overated bunch of show ponies.

Read the quote - thought that is a bit inflammatory. Then saw it was a Freo poster - situation normal.

Reckon they had a great 4 weeks - the bye assisted them. Would have been lucky to win in Perth without the bye. Reminds me of our 1997 success, not the best team for the year but had a stunning 4 weeks to jag the big prize.

They're the premiers.. so they're good. You still have to remember that they still finished 7th at the end of the regular season.

Port were a kick away from a grand final, now have missed finals two years in a row. Now the Bulldogs have similar expectations of being top 4 and even making the grand final again. Until they do a 15/16 Port (I don't think they will), they're not overrated at the moment.

Then respond to the part of my post that was directed at you...

There was a ? In the world of linguistics, when a ? is used, it presupposes an answer to a question. So I can only assume that was directed at me. I can't tell what is directed at me and what isn't in that case. So..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely overrated. 4 good weeks doesn't negate 23 weeks worth of being average. Really no different to West Coast who also had a great month toward the end of the season. Just peaked at the exact right time.

I doubt they'll get the same help from the umpires as they did last year, they helped make the fairytale happen so no need to make it happen again.

Take away their umpiring advantage and they are just a middle of the road team, they'll probably make the top 8 but I doubt they'll go back to back.
Lol,still whinging and whining on multiple threads you big sooky baby, :'(:'(

Definitely overrated. 4 good weeks doesn't negate 23 weeks worth of being average. Really no different to West Coast who also had a great month toward the end of the season. Just peaked at the exact right time.

Oh Absolutely. Sydney didn't even want the flag - they're just celebrating their season of consistency.

Exactly what happened with Fremantle in last year too, they fell down the ladder due to their consistency hangover from 2015.

I think the Doggies will finish between 4-6th on the ladder. Now with the bye before the finals, I believe anything can happen and anyone can win it.

My point exactly. Do I think WC are better? no of course not. Some think its me being salty when its far from the truth. Dogs were the better team on the day and we would have got flogged by Hawks and the Swans.

My point exactly. Do I think WC are better? no of course not. Some think its me being salty when its far from the truth. Dogs were the better team on the day and we would have got flogged by Hawks and the Swans.

How about conceding that the dogs were a better team? Maybe not the start of a dynasty or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back