Are the Dogs over rated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bulldogs didn't need to win against Freo as it wasn't going to affect their ladder position, they were basically just resting their players for finals.

When we beat them they were still hoping to get a top 4 spot so they were actually trying to win.

You can say our win was meaningless since they went on to win the flag but at the time it wasn't and it gives our players confidence of beating them again.

Your win that day was meaningless simply because the umpires got you over the line...

They won the premiership, so that's not what the topic creator is asking about.

TC is asking about the other layers that exist, like was there a lot of luck or circumstance involved in this success as distinct from what's typical; did we witness something that would play out a lot over a certain sample size etc..

Two things that have stood out to me, one this talk is happening a lot re: this premiership, and two there's a lot of hostility and defensiveness from winning team supporters to this. If you observe this without getting inside individual opinions, clearly a lot of people felt they saw a bit of an outlier and a lot of supporters of the winning team don't want that to colour what is a precious success for them.

It's a reflection of the fact that premierships, like everything, aren't created equal, and that can bring good and bad. Some teams pinch 'em, some teams are held up as very very good in unison.

Are WB overrated? In my opinion they're the least "good" premier I've seen since I've been alive. I'd be lying if I said I thought they had a better team than Sydney, or GWS, or Geelong of 2016.

On the flip side, for that team to break THAT drought from that position on the ladder? That's a most remarkable thing to witness, I would get a lot of joy from that.

TC is asking about the other layers that exist, like was there a lot of luck or circumstance involved in this success as distinct from what's typical; did we witness something that would play out a lot over a certain sample size etc..

Two things that have stood out to me, one this talk is happening a lot re: this premiership, and two there's a lot of hostility and defensiveness from winning team supporters to this. If you observe this without getting inside individual opinions, clearly a lot of people felt they saw a bit of an outlier and a lot of supporters of the winning team don't want that to colour what is a precious success for them.

It's a reflection of the fact that premierships, like everything, aren't created equal, and that can bring good and bad. Some teams pinch 'em, some teams are held up as very very good in unison.

Are WB overrated? In my opinion they're the least "good" premier I've seen since I've been alive. I'd be lying if I said I thought they had a better team than Sydney, or GWS, or Geelong of 2016.

On the flip side, for that team to break THAT drought from that position on the ladder? That's a most remarkable thing to witness, I would get a lot of joy from that.
Not a bad summation. Bit like the Crows in 97 and 98.

Some teams pinch 'em, some teams are held up as very very good in unison.

How did you rate Hawthorn 2015? Finished with the same win loss record as the Dogs this year

Hawks won 16 (Dogs won 15 in 2016) in 2015 and had the best percentage by a mile.
19 wins each after finals. Hawks were no doubt the stronger team over the course of the season, the % shows that, but the Dogs' H&A season last year was underrated given the 2 wins that separated first to seventh, without looking at the Fremantle game in round 23 where it can be argued we took the foot off the pedal as it made no difference to the final order.

If you really wanted to argue the 'weakest' premiership side in recent memory (which I don't think is relevant in any case), you'd surely look to Adelaide in 1998 - 13 wins after H&A (just 1 win more than 9th), and lost the qualifying final by 48 points, finishing with 16 wins for the season.

But it's a moot point in any case.

Well we beat them the last time we played them but according to their supporters that was only due to them copping a couple of injuries even though we were beating them before they copped those injuries.
And Richmond beat Hawthorn almost every year we won the flag

So Richmond must be awesome

(Cue canned laughter)

Fair comment - we certainly weren't anywhere near the best H&A side in 2016 and our best H&A win was arguably the effort against the Swans at the SCG were we gambled on getting JJ straight back in the side after 10 weeks off and he kicks the winning goal late in the game.

Definitely not over-rated. Yes, they had a small bit of luck but it takes a special team to produce the month of footy they did under the highest possible pressure. I have them (like most) as second fave going into '17, and that's only because of the ridiculous squad GWS has been allowed to amass.

All that said, it's entirely possible that they will struggle to back it up again. A young team having early success, now being the hunted etc. Think they have the right man in charge to help nullify some of those issues though. Then again, so did we in '09 and '10.

Were you alive in 1993?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree to a point, but what people refuse to acknowledge is the horrendous run we had with injuries in 2016. We got close to our best team back in the finals and panced the teams we played with close to their best teams.

Give us some frkn credit for what we achieved. If we have a normal run with injuries in 2017 and play the way we did in the finals for most of the year we are a frkn lock for top 2.
I don't care about your man love for patty D at Geelong, we have them and sydney covered all things being equal.

Agree in part. Even at the start of the season I thought it was wide open. Not much between the top 7 teams when at full strength IMO.

The worst credentialed teams to win flags that I've seen was Adelaide in 97/98 and Essendon in 93 (who ironically knocked out the Crows). IMO those teams were less credentialed than the Dogs. Unless you count the teams that have won flags and admitted to salary cap cheating, which is a whole different discussion.

Agree in part. Even at the start of the season I thought it was wide open. Not much between the top 7 teams when at full strength IMO.

The worst credentialed teams to win flags that I've seen was Adelaide in 97/98 and Essendon in 93 (who ironically knocked out the Crows). IMO those teams were less credentialed than the Dogs. Unless you count the teams that have won flags and admitted to salary cap cheating, which is a whole different discussion.
Gee that is harsh on Adelaide. I could understand your thinking if it was only one premiership but they went back to back.
Thats some damded fine credentials right there.

Overrated Premiers? It was a very even year , and the stars lined up for the Dogs and their followers ..worthy winners and loudly applauded. However this year will be a different test. No longer the side that flies under the radar , they will be on the hit list of all clubs. Balance that with a huge increase from the confidence of success... there is no lock that they finish top4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back