Are the Giants out of premiership discussion now the double chance is gone? ( 2.0 updated page 17 )

Remove this Banner Ad

Even with a whole team available i've always had the thought that GWS aren't big game players. When ever they play away against a reasonable team they always fall down. Plus add in a real crowd it adds to the pressure they are under.

So much talent but I think a team needs to have players that come off the rookie list. Players that will fight harder than anyone else to keep a spot.

Laird was off the rookie too short but look at the bloke all heart.

They play champagne football when it comes off but I'm afraid you have to win ugly sometimes. This is coming from a crows supporter though we can have been similar in the past. Although I think we have got better.

They came to Adelaide Oval last year it was like 52k supporters against 20 people, then richmond in that prelim it must be daunting.

No we haven't been around nearly long enough to disappoint the way the Bulldogs have. Obviously

an immature response. Do you think it somehow makes your situation better?

Sure, there’s disappointment. But I’m 28, just too young to remember the late 90s prelims and thus in my footy watching life I’ve been blessed. We have a spoon since I’ve been watching, and three prelim defeats, but we also have a premiership. And until your team wins one you’ll never know the feeling.

Overall your football watching life of GWS has had nearly similar stats, wait until you lose another prelim to make it three, and no flag. It might come soon or you might be a new Fremantle. Nothing is certain, that’s life.

Bang on about the bulldogs’ history all you want, I don’t care. That is why 2016 was so sweet for many

an immature response. Do you think it somehow makes your situation better?

Sure, there’s disappointment. But I’m 28, just too young to remember the late 90s prelims and thus in my footy watching life I’ve been blessed. We have a spoon since I’ve been watching, and three prelim defeats, but we also have a premiership. And until your team wins one you’ll never know the feeling.

Overall your football watching life of GWS has had nearly similar stats, wait until you lose another prelim to make it three, and no flag. It might come soon or you might be a new Fremantle. Nothing is certain, that’s life.

Bang on about the bulldogs’ history all you want, I don’t care. That is why 2016 was so sweet for many
Calling other people immature. That's funny.
You raised the comparison between between the clubs not me. I just introduced reality.

Just want to say well done to the Giants posters in this thread. Having to wade through the opposition supporters who are just here to have a free kick while you are down, in order to find the few posters who genuinely want to discuss the problems at your club, is a chore.

We've all been there. Keep fighting the good fight.

Even with a whole team available i've always had the thought that GWS aren't big game players. When ever they play away against a reasonable team they always fall down. Plus add in a real crowd it adds to the pressure they are under.

So much talent but I think a team needs to have players that come off the rookie list. Players that will fight harder than anyone else to keep a spot.

They play champagne football when it comes off but I'm afraid you have to win ugly sometimes. This is coming from a crows supporter though we can have been similar in the past. Although I think we have got better.

They came to Adelaide Oval last year it was like 52k supporters against 20 people, then richmond in that prelim it must be daunting.
Good post. I completely agree. They got belted in both those games last year. They've only won two finals in their history as well, they need to show a lot more.

Just want to say well done to the Giants posters in this thread. Having to wade through the opposition supporters who are just here to have a free kick while you are down, in order to find the few posters who genuinely want to discuss the problems at your club, is a chore.

We've all been there. Keep fighting the good fight.
Thank you.

You might be selling them short there. 2016 very good win over Swans followed by close loss. 2017 loss against Adelaide away but that’s not unexpected and bounced back in week 2 with a strong win followed by what might be sticking in your mind as an abysmal effort (particularly that 3rd quarter) against Tigers (I know they went on to win but I don’t think you could walk away happy with how they played in that game).

But finishing 4th in theory you should go L-W-L as a ‘par’ score (ie those are the ‘expected’ outcomes on rankings). So you could argue 2016 was above par and 2017 was on par.

Give North one qtr of GWS' injuries and GWS a full list and they beat North by 80 points.

Not sure GWS has the culture or coach to win a flag but fully fit they are as talented as anyone.

But realistically they arent fit, they have a dopey coach and if they don't win this year or next, guys like Kelly and Coniglio may leave and kill the AFL dream.

Terrible news...

Give North one qtr of GWS' injuries and GWS a full list and they beat North by 80 points.

Not sure GWS has the culture or coach to win a flag but fully fit they are as talented as anyone.

But realistically they arent fit, they have a dopey coach and if they don't win this year or next, guys like Kelly and Coniglio may leave and kill the AFL dream.

Terrible news...
The same North who beat an in form Hawthorn and Sydney in Sydney.

okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No issue with GWS whatsoever. I actually have some concern for them, this season has been ruined by injuries to genuine top line players.

Forget injuries for a second though and look at the broader picture. With all that was given to them at the start, at what stage should they be winning a flag? I remember a lot of people saying that they were a certain dynasty in waiting. To be honest though, even at full strength, does anyone see them as a real premiership threat? I don't know if its a culture thing or what but even with all their guns in they never really blow me out of the water, despite the amount of talent they have. They don't have periods of 5-6 weeks in a row where they are clearly the best team in the comp.

The worry is that, this teams 'guaranteed success' is surely seen as the main selling point to their supporters in a region that to be fair isn't exactly AFL territory. If they keep going like this and more years pass without a flag, how long til supporters pack it in completely? I get the feeling that GWS desperately need a flag in the next few seasons which makes their lack of luck this year even worse.

^^That swans team beat us at home where we never lose { unless we play sydney } without Buddy and Hannez before you mentioned North beat sydney without those players.

So stop with the excuses and downgrading north.

You beat Adelaide in Adelaide by 8 goals.

I wouldn't say that's the expected result in that situation. We also lost and struggled to score against Geelong at home.

I just don't think people view GWS through a realistic prism to begin with (all the "guaranteed premierships, and a failure if they don't!"), and then aren't looking at the actual sides they're putting out there in some of these losses.

Forget injuries for a second though and look at the broader picture. With all that was given to them at the start, at what stage should they be winning a flag? I remember a lot of people saying that they were a certain dynasty in waiting. To be honest though, even at full strength, does anyone see them as a real premiership threat? I don't know if its a culture thing or what but even with all their guns in they never really blow me out of the water, despite the amount of talent they have. They don't have periods of 5-6 weeks in a row where they are clearly the best team in the comp.

Like most players, and given the age profile of their list, I'd say their "prime" and "window" would be years 7-11 (which is ages 25-29 for most players), 2018-2022. They've still got plenty of time, really.

Without knowing the salary cap situation, and individual "go home factor" or desire for more of a role, I do think they should have kept a few more of the players they've let go over the last couple of years, even if only for depth.

Terrible news...
Pfft
Both have resigned last year. Lets not let reality get in the way of a poor fantasy

Terrible news...
Is it terrible news though? Did anyone other than the AFL want GWS in the competition?? I don't want GWS to succeed. I'm happy to see them struggle tbh..

Is it terrible news though? Did anyone other than the AFL want GWS in the competition?? I don't want GWS to succeed. I'm happy to see them struggle tbh..

Its terrible in the sense that the AFL will not allow these teams to fail and will find a way to ensure if not flags then competitiveness.

So yeah its terrible for other clubs as what the AFL gives with one hand to GC and GWS will be taken from other clubs with the other hand.

And that isn't groundbreaking, its already happened multiple times on multiple fronts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the Giants out of premiership discussion now the double chance is gone? ( 2.0 updated page 17 )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back