Are the Pies in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

Outcoached plain and simple. Manned up boundry huggers like Didak and Sidebottom and forced them into the middle. Then poor ball users like Obrian Goldsack Toovey and Brown kept turning it over in the middle. Pretty simple really. Throw in the fact Jolly couldnt get his hands on it and the Pies got bashed for three quarters only slowing in the last.
get a clue

Grandiose statements about a team's flag hopes are par for the course on BigFooty but after watching last night I am a bit baffled.

There are a few issues with Collingwood I think -

Jolly is not even close to his best form. Ottens slaughtered him. Cox and Naitanui are the best ruck combo going and this will cause headaches during the week.

Collingwood depth was appalling. Wood, Fasalo, Goldsack, Sinclair all had plenty on the line but were shocking and frankly out of their depth. I'd be very surprised if Malthouse would play any of them in a final after that performance.

Wellingham, Sidebottom and Brown look nowhere near it. Wellingham might be better for the run but Sidebottom has been rock solid ordinary for a couple of months now. I'd imagine the Brown in defense experiment will be consigned to the shit heap.

Collingwood have been opened up and shredded twice in a month. The final quarter against Brisbane and last night's second quarter. As soon as they relax teams are having their way with them.

They are a sensational side but they have issues I think.

Explain how you were only up by 7 points at qtr time then..

Geelong are a great team who had something to prove last night.

They were rolled by Sydney on their own dungheap the week before, questions were being asked of them...bang they come out to play this week.

Collingwood on the other hand...pffft all we wanted was no injuries, unfort Taz may be an injury.

Last year we were rolled by Hawthorn in rd 22, and the same questions were asked....we then went on and won our finals by 10goals.

Collingwood have been opened up and shredded twice in a month. The final quarter against Brisbane and last night's second quarter. As soon as they relax teams are having their way with them.

They are a sensational side but they have issues I think.

**** me, a game when they were 10goals up and they put the queue in the rack is an example of them being opened up.

laughable.

They were rolled by Sydney on their own dungheap the week before, questions were being asked of them...bang they come out to play this week.

Collingwood on the other hand...pffft all we wanted was no injuries, unfort Taz may be an injury.

Last year we were rolled by Hawthorn in rd 22, and the same questions were asked....we then went on and won our finals by 10goals.

You can sugar coat it as much as you want dude, but dont for 1 second think that a 96 point flogging is something you just sweep under the carpet and forget about..

Lot differant last year. Collingwood had 24-25 players fit and firing coming into finals. This year you have half that.

That's what I think.

I can't believe i'm saying this but they are shot.

They have to fly in the face of over 100 years of history to win it from here.

I cant believe i am saying this oh no wait actually i can.Teams fear us. Whether you all like to admit it or not the last team you ever want to come up against off of a loss like that is collingwood..People can talk records all they like but the fact is collingwood is the team that upsets records.Next week West Coast will not know what hit them.

collingwood excuses are actual lols!

Man up, you got smashed. Dont tell me you didnt come to play.......go watch a replay of the first quarter.

Mate, I knew at the 2 minute mark we didn't come to play.

Even in the first quarter the score flattered us, we had 4 shots at goal for the whole quarter, it just happened that they all went through for goals.

We didn't "come to play", that was clear, and that was the reason for the result, anything else is just meaningless bullshit from any angle.

We'll still win the flag, I don't know of any Pies fans who are taking the loss hard last night, well at least any intelligent ones.;):cool:

Collingwood were extremely poor last night. We happened to come up against a great team, playing great football and were subsequently smashed.

Smashings will occasionally happen in football to great teams, and the mark of a great team is how they respond to these defeats. We get at least two more games to respond.

I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing good out of last nights result for Collingwood. We have a lot of work to do, but I'm sure they will endeavour to turn the result around somehow. I just hope its enough.

I think they'll win next week and probably the Prelim after that, but if the Pies meet up with Geelong in a GF I think we will feel as though we have the wood on them. You can talk all you like about how no one cared, as though a bunch of professional, talented footballers actually wanted to fold like a deckchair against their primary adversary, but at the same time they were certainly nowhere near their best. Unlike some other observers I think the cue was put in the rack after we got out to a five or six goal lead, not at quarter time, which is frankly ridiculous considering the Pies actually lead at that time.

Still, next week is when the real stuff starts and this may be no more than a minor blip. But the Pies have surely handed us more than a bit of momentum and confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant believe i am saying this oh no wait actually i can.Teams fear us. Whether you all like to admit it or not the last team you ever want to come up against off of a loss like that is collingwood..People can talk records all they like but the fact is collingwood is the team that upsets records.Next week West Coast will not know what hit them.

We don't fear you. Not one bit.

Even in the first quarter the score flattered us, we had 4 shots at goal for the whole quarter, it just happened that they all went through for goals.

We didn't "come to play", that was clear, and that was the reason for the result, anything else is just meaningless bullshit from any angle.

We'll still win the flag, I don't know of any Pies fans who are taking the loss hard last night, well at least any intelligent ones.;):cool:

Your faith is blinding you.

Don't be so certain.

Any Collingwood supporter thats played football is a lot more worried than not.

Wouldn't be writing Collingwood off just yet but they certainly aren't the premiership certanties everyone was making them out to be.

Geelong made them look 2nd rate and Collingwood weren't even in the game after quarter time, even if they weren't taking it 100% seriously that has to be a concern. Even St Kilda outplayed them for quite a bit of the game a few weeks ago and had more scoring shots than them, it was only Collingwood's greater efficency in front of goal that won them the game.

But the Pies have surely handed us more than a bit of momentum and confidence.

Yeah, that's an opportunity missed by us. We could have sent Geelong into the finals losing 4 out of 9 games including their last 2. There would have been more than a seed of doubt in their minds. Instead they beat the reigning premier and premiership favourite by 100 points. They'll be on top of the world right now.

I feel like Collingwood were standing above every other club with our foot on their throats. We're not now. We should have done whatever we could to avoid giving our toughest opponent some momentum on the eve of finals.

I only watched the 2nd and 3rd qtrs last night but was actually pretty shocked.

The Pies have been and are an awesome team however I cant remember when they have simply lay down like they did last night (in the recent past). Geelongs simply tore them to shreds.

I'm actually quite confused if it was a preservation tactic or they were simply outplayed and once the margin got out to 50 odd points they didnt know how to respond, its not like they have found themselves in that position lately.

I tipped the Cats and thought being a dead rubber a 3-5 goal win wont raise any questions but 96 points??

Reminds me a bit of the Blues vs doggies earlier in the year. We shot out to a 25 point odd lead and then bam the doggies played and ran us off our feet, we simply didnt know how to respond. I knew that week we were just going to destroy Richmond purely out of anger. they never stood a chance.

I have the same feeling about Collingwood vs WCE. All in all a confusing result.

Neither side is "in trouble". Both have lost games in recent times when they haven't been switched on. It happens, and as Geelong showed its quit possible to recover; indeed it should be expected.

Geelong has beaten Collingwood twice this year. Once in a tight game where they could have shut the Pies out of the game with their early dominance or lost it in the last minute, and one big win over a Collingwood side that clearly wasn't focussed on this week.

Get both these teams at, or near, their respective peaks and there is nothing in it. They are the two most likely to make to that one day in October. Not definite, as Hawthorn could knock either over if things go their way on any given day, but its most likely these will be the two.

A big loss isn't a good thing to have at any time, but nobody should read a lot into one game which has nothing on the line. Unless the injuries are bad ones, but that didn't look the case to my untrained eye.

Geelong has beaten you both times this year now. Suffice to say they dont fear you. Whatever psychological advantage Collingwood had due to last year is now gone thanks to that thrashing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the Pies in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back