blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
http://www.saints.com.au/players/tabid/5392/season/2011/category/senior/default.aspx

Young kids are mostly bad except for Steven, middle age band is sooo bad apart from Goddard Del Santo.

Some incredibly important players close to retirement and getting worse fast. There forward line (schneider milne kozi riewoldt) is getting really old and worse with every season, noone to replace them.

Tonnes of middle aged spuds on the list who they cant get rid of due to noone to replace them (polo clarke gamble armitage gilbert

U'd think Milne/kozi dont have long and riewoldt will be finished soon even if he doesnt retire, so the forward line becomes... an old schneider and.....

Add in the fact there coaching situation and their serious financial issues (struggling to pay their salary cap) and they've lost a few key off field people (fitness guy to melbourne for memory and others).

So are Saints destined to become the next Port Adelaide on and off field whilst port starts to head in the right direction.

Maybe Saints only chance is to trade off some people like Goddard and get a few high picks this year and next.

Interesting to hear if any Saints fan thinks the future looks a little brighter than i've outlined... i dont know an incredible amount about their kids but from an outsiders view they look to be worst in the AFL (no exaggeration).

St.Kilda are in a very difficult position .
The last few years under Ross they have rolled the dice in recruiting tried players in an all out attempt to win that elusive flag .
Now the window is closed , Ross has bolted , the club will announce a large financial loss and the list looks very thin save for a handfull of A graders .
Its decision time down at the Pines and they better get it right ,
Good luck to the new coach whoever he may be !!!

The young kids are essentially untried because Lyon didn't play them until they had had an extended apprenticeship in the VFL. How can you not know an incredible amount about them but think they are the worst?

Forward line will look better under a more attacking game plan.

Finances would be fine if it wasn't from the awful stadium deal that St Kilda (and Dogs and North) has to contend with .

A few challenges, but I wouldn't be so quick to write them off yet. Honestly, St Kilda is a foundation club and has managed to retain a reasonably good level of support despite next to no premiership success - things won't get as bad as you hope they will.

Silly reactionary post.

What a terrible post.

We have some issues but it's not all doom and gloom. We have some good kids who have not seen a lot of game time but will be good players. Keep an eye out for Tom Ledger.

A few good pickups and a good pre-season and anything is possible.

• Banned
What a terrible post.

We have some issues but it's not all doom and gloom. We have some good kids who have not seen a lot of game time but will be good players. Keep an eye out for Tom Ledger.

A few good pickups and a good pre-season and anything is possible.

Just an observation from an outsider mate!

I actually think Saints will be only go up right now. Honestly Ross Lyon didn't instill one single bit of confidence in them last year. I think if the next coach can drill them out of the gameplan they currently have they will do alot better. The problem for them this year is in crunch matches they reverted back to their strangling defensive gameplan. When they were taking risks they looked good. Let's not forget, they came pretty damn close against us in the latter part of the year.

I actually think Saints will be only go up right now. Honestly Ross Lyon didn't instill one single bit of confidence in them last year. I think if the next coach can drill them out of the gameplan they currently have they will do alot better. The problem for them this year is in crunch matches they reverted back to their strangling defensive gameplan. When they were taking risks they looked good. Let's not forget, they came pretty damn close against us in the latter part of the year.

The main issue i reckon is who do they have to take over from milne schneider kozi riewoldt who are all in the twilight of their careers?

I think they'll be a top 6 side next year.

Riewoldt will (hopefully for them) have a full pre-season, they get Hayes back and another pre-season into their kids.

Their future replacement for Schneider/Milne is Arryn Siposs - a quality young forward with an unbelievable kick.

Internally, they rate Stanley highly and expect him to be in their best 4 players within the next few years.

Smith and Walsh are good youngsters and I believe Steven & McEvoy will be A graders.

I haven't seen Cripps, Heyne, Ledger or Winmar but IMO St Kilda's future looks bright and I wouldn't be surprised to see them pushing for the top 4 as long as they have Hayes, Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Fisher, Goddard, Montagna, et al.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.saints.com.au/players/tabid/5392/season/2011/category/senior/default.aspx

Young kids are mostly bad except for Steven, middle age band is sooo bad apart from Goddard Del Santo.

Some incredibly important players close to retirement and getting worse fast. There forward line (schneider milne kozi riewoldt) is getting really old and worse with every season, noone to replace them.

Tonnes of middle aged spuds on the list who they cant get rid of due to noone to replace them (polo clarke gamble armitage gilbert

U'd think Milne/kozi dont have long and riewoldt will be finished soon even if he doesnt retire, so the forward line becomes... an old schneider and.....

Add in the fact there coaching situation and their serious financial issues (struggling to pay their salary cap) and they've lost a few key off field people (fitness guy to melbourne for memory and others).

So are Saints destined to become the next Port Adelaide on and off field whilst port starts to head in the right direction.

Maybe Saints only chance is to trade off some people like Goddard and get a few high picks this year and next.

Interesting to hear if any Saints fan thinks the future looks a little brighter than i've outlined... i dont know an incredible amount about their kids but from an outsiders view they look to be worst in the AFL (no exaggeration).

I swear this post has the term "U'd" in it, I don't want to believe it, but unless my eyes are fooling me...

We'll be fine, this thread probably belongs in the bay, but Cripps, Ledger, Siposs, Winmar and others all gained some game time this year whilst showing some positive signs. If the majority of them hadn't suffered injury, I'd say we would have seen more of them as well.

the big question over depth. its amazing how everyone thought collingwood had great depth last year, fast forward to this year and comments are made by the coach that they lost the grand final due to injury of key personnel who they couldnt replace.

did collingwood cull to fast last year?

I think the big question for the Saints for a long time now has been over their bottom 6.

I think they'll be a top 6 side next year.

Riewoldt will (hopefully for them) have a full pre-season, they get Hayes back and another pre-season into their kids.

Their future replacement for Schneider/Milne is Arryn Siposs - a quality young forward with an unbelievable kick.

Internally, they rate Stanley highly and expect him to be in their best 4 players within the next few years.

Smith and Walsh are good youngsters and I believe Steven & McEvoy will be A graders.

I haven't seen Cripps, Heyne, Ledger or Winmar but IMO St Kilda's future looks bright and I wouldn't be surprised to see them pushing for the top 4 as long as they have Hayes, Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Fisher, Goddard, Montagna, et al.

Yea i give them a pretty good chance of making finals 2012.. its more the following years. Wasn't goddard reportably on the way out due to salary cap issues?

And i've actually heard the opposite about stanley... Lyon didnt play him even when he was fit and firing. Amazing athlete but lacks in the skills department a lot.

Like sheedy, lyon has left his club with a void of players in the 21 - 24 age bracket.

It seems saint supporters will be subjected to cheering on players like dean polo, farren ray, sean dempster, clint jones, brett peake etc.

i wouldnt say that we will become the next port but we just need to rebuild and let new guys come into team. saints will probely come 8th next year

You have no idea, Armitage and Gilbert spuds? Armo was playing great at the start of the year until Ro$$ moved him to the forward line, and Gilbert has had one off year after coming close to AA the two years before. We have Tommy Walsh, Rhys Stanley and Arryn Siposs as key forward prospects, with Tom Lynch and Daniel Archer as back prospects. We have good midfield youth in Ledger, Cripps, Winmar, Crocker and others, and we will continue to draft more. We also have Ben Mcevoy, one of the best young ruckmen in the comp and Jack Steven, who is just about as good as Luke Shuey.

Yea i give them a pretty good chance of making finals 2012.. its more the following years. Wasn't goddard reportably on the way out due to salary cap issues?

And i've actually heard the opposite about stanley... Lyon didnt play him even when he was fit and firing. Amazing athlete but lacks in the skills department a lot.

Jesus Christ.

Close the thread now.

St. Kilda right now remind me of Essendon circa 2002-2004. Our era had finished, we were beaten in the grand final. Our coach (Sheedy) started to top up the list in hope for one final hurrah at the flag. This didn't pay off and we started to decline. Eventually our list bombed out, in other words we dropped from the 8 in 2004 to like 13th or 14th in 2005. We still had players like Lloyd and Lucas in their prime, but the majority of our list was old or just shit, our drafting from 2001-2004 came back to bite our arses.

The Saints have topped up their list to try and push for the flag, it ultimately didn't pay off and they are declining. It wouldn't surprise me to see them finish in the 8 again next season, as players like Dal Santo, Goddard, Montagna are still in the prime, but the majority of their players are getting old (Roo, Hayes, Milne etc.). They could challenge for the 8 again next year but it wouldn't surprise me to see them bomb out like we did in 2005, where we spent the next few years down the bottom.

Only this time, the Saints can avoid the pit of shitness we were in from 2005-2010 by stopping the recycling policy and begin their rebuild now. What happened to us, after it was clear we were done for good in 2005, Sheedy insisted on topping up instead of rebuilding our side with youngsters, this lead to us getting nowhere and we just recently finished up paying the damage it caused to our list. The Saints can begin rebuilding now and expect to be back challenging in 5 years.

I think they might have a year or two left and may even contend in 2012 but after that it will get pretty ugly. They've been 'up' since 2004 and due to a lack of quality draft picks and topping up they're left with very little younger talent coming through. I'd agree that they probably do have the worst kids.

The best kids they have are McEvoy and Armitage and they won't get close to replacing the likes of Hayes, Milne, Riewoldt etc.

I'm not trying to have a dig at the club either, it's just the way the league goes with the draft/salary cap.

I think they might have a year or two left and may even contend in 2012 but after that it will get pretty ugly. They've been 'up' since 2004 and due to a lack of quality draft picks and topping up they're left with very little younger talent coming through. I'd agree that they probably do have the worst kids.

The best kids they have are McEvoy and Armitage and they won't get close to replacing the likes of Hayes, Milne, Riewoldt etc.

I'm trying to have a dig at the club either, it's just the way the league goes with the draft/salary cap.

Yea thats basically my thoughts too. Saints fans thinking this is an attack on them, just stating facts. Can a saints fan name a team with worse kids than them??? highly doubt it. You've just been listing all the kids on ur list but only Mcevoy and Steven have stood up

Yea thats basically my thoughts too. Saints fans thinking this is an attack on them, just stating facts. Can a saints fan name a team with worse kids than them??? highly doubt it. You've just been listing all the kids on ur list but only Mcevoy and Steven have stood up

They haven't been really played at AFL level. They might be guns, they might be spuds. I highly doubt you are a regular Sandringham watcher, I'd leave the appraisal of younger players to those who are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the Saints about to become the next "port"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back