Are the Saints about to become the next "port"

Remove this Banner Ad

Damian Barret said on twitter today that the saints have "MASSIVE salary cap issues" and that the "AFL is all over it".

He seems to think it will be an interesting trade week because of it.

They haven't been really played at AFL level. They might be guns, they might be spuds. I highly doubt you are a regular Sandringham watcher, I'd leave the appraisal of younger players to those who are.

Guess i cant have an opinion on bigfooty unless i am a religious VFL watcher.

Damian Barret said on twitter today that the saints have "MASSIVE salary cap issues" and that the "AFL is all over it".

Dawson, Peake or Goddard will be traded.

St. Kilda right now remind me of Essendon circa 2002-2004. Our era had finished, we were beaten in the grand final. Our coach (Sheedy) started to top up the list in hope for one final hurrah at the flag. This didn't pay off and we started to decline. Eventually our list bombed out, in other words we dropped from the 8 in 2004 to like 13th or 14th in 2005. We still had players like Lloyd and Lucas in their prime, but the majority of our list was old or just shit, our drafting from 2001-2004 came back to bite our arses.

The Saints have topped up their list to try and push for the flag, it ultimately didn't pay off and they are declining. It wouldn't surprise me to see them finish in the 8 again next season, as players like Dal Santo, Goddard, Montagna are still in the prime, but the majority of their players are getting old (Roo, Hayes, Milne etc.). They could challenge for the 8 again next year but it wouldn't surprise me to see them bomb out like we did in 2005, where we spent the next few years down the bottom.

Only this time, the Saints can avoid the pit of shitness we were in from 2005-2010 by stopping the recycling policy and begin their rebuild now. What happened to us, after it was clear we were done for good in 2005, Sheedy insisted on topping up instead of rebuilding our side with youngsters, this lead to us getting nowhere and we just recently finished up paying the damage it caused to our list. The Saints can begin rebuilding now and expect to be back challenging in 5 years.

This is where i see St.kilda at right now .
Sheedy was in denial and refused to accept that the window had closed .
The result for Essendon has been long slow pain .
Its going to take brave tough decisions now by the St.Kilda board ,
Make the right decisions NOW and they will be on the way to opening thier next window .
Go into denial and get it wrong in todays AFL the road back is mighty long and hard .

Guess i cant have an opinion on bigfooty unless i am a religious VFL watcher.

You said they were 'all mostly bad', yet you haven't seen them play? Usually to form an opinion on the skill levels of a player you would have to have seen them play.

You said they were 'all mostly bad', yet you haven't seen them play? Usually to form an opinion on the skill levels of a player you would have to have seen them play.

Its more of an educated guess than fact, obviously. The opinion is formulated from the games that some of them have played, and the fact others cannot get a game AND i have seen my fair share of VFL games.

StKilda have been up in contention since 2004. Geelong is the only other team that has been up so long.

Invariably the Saints will have to revisit the bottom half of the ladder. Probably won't be next year but I could see in 2013 they may start to struggle. So I hope they get as many kids in this draft and the next so they can make it a quick turn around.

You've just been listing all the kids on ur list but only Mcevoy and Steven have stood up

Because they were the only ones given an opportunity to do so.

Ross Lyon boasted, "oh yeah we had the highest amount of debutants this year". But when you look at it closer he played them for 3/4 games max, and were the sub nearly 100% of the time.

And in the rare times he did bring them in, almost all of them were given a defensive forward job and then subbed out. How is that going to help them develop? Jack Steven started the year as a defensive forward, and was on the brink of getting dropped. By some miracle Ross gives him a go in the midfield, he rips it up and we finally start winning some games.

I actually think Lyon jetting off was for the best. Not sure he has the greatest people skills to guide a team through a rebuild. I think we'll be better off than some are expecting too, we just need a coach that is willing to give these guys ago. Alot of the younger guys were demanding a senior spot all year, yet established players like Gamble & Clarke for example only had to string together 1 or 2 games to get a call up.

Because they were the only ones given an opportunity to do so.

Ross Lyon boasted, "oh yeah we had the highest amount of debutants this year". But when you look at it closer he played them for 3/4 games max, and were the sub nearly 100% of the time.

And in the rare times he did bring them in, almost all of them were given a defensive forward job and then subbed out. How is that going to help them develop? Jack Steven started the year as a defensive forward, and was on the brink of getting dropped. By some miracle Ross gives him a go in the midfield, he rips it up and we finally start winning some games.

I actually think Lyon jetting off was for the best. Not sure he has the greatest people skills to guide a team through a rebuild. I think we'll be better off than some are expecting too, we just need a coach that is willing to give these guys ago. Alot of the younger guys were demanding a senior spot all year, yet established players like Gamble & Clarke for example only had to string together 1 or 2 games to get a call up.

The point still stands, can a saints fan name another team with worse kids?

Internally, they rate Stanley highly and expect him to be in their best 4 players within the next few years.
If they really believe this, they're gone. Cannot play.

This is where i see St.kilda at right now .
Sheedy was in denial and refused to accept that the window had closed .
The result for Essendon has been long slow pain .
Its going to take brave tough decisions now by the St.Kilda board ,
Make the right decisions NOW and they will be on the way to opening thier next window .
Go into denial and get it wrong in todays AFL the road back is mighty long and hard .
It's hard not to see it that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said you hadn't seen many of St Kildas young players play at AFL or VFL level. So your OP isn't an educated guess. I know, they know & you know it's a troll.

Yea put words in my mouth that were never said :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Quiet a few people agree that saints are in trouble in a few years, its not hard to see mate. Is anything negative about another team trolling? Grow up and have a talk about it if u want too, if not then dont who cares. This is about what u think will happen so stop sooking about trolling

You've failed to answer the question, where are you getting your opinions about our youth from if you do not watch Sandringham games?

Oh that's right, you don't. You're just another predictable Collingwood troll obsessed with St Kilda, but trying to thinly veil it behind a crappy facade of a thread on the main board "observing" our club.

On your bike you muppet.

Yea thats basically my thoughts too. Saints fans thinking this is an attack on them, just stating facts. Can a saints fan name a team with worse kids than them??? highly doubt it. You've just been listing all the kids on ur list but only Mcevoy and Steven have stood up
Facts and opinions are different things

You've failed to answer the question, where are you getting your opinions about our youth from if you do not watch Sandringham games?

Oh that's right, you don't. You're just another predictable Collingwood troll obsessed with St Kilda, but trying to thinly veil it behind a crappy facade of a thread on the main board "observing" our club.

On your bike you muppet.

Wow why dont u read what is actually said? i stated i do watch sandringham games and when your youth plays AFL. Good one. Im really obsessed with saint kilda this is my first ever thread about them. Why would i hate saint kilda?

So actually maybe u should get on ur bike seeing ur so clearly wrong

Think this has been lost in all the hooplah of Collingwood vs. St Kilda shenanigans. Surely Lyon was aware of this potential issue before jumping ship.

Wow why dont u read what is actually said? i stated i do watch sandringham games and when your youth plays AFL. Good one. Im really obsessed with saint kilda this is my first ever thread about them. Why would i hate saint kilda?

You would have seen Tommy Walsh as BOG against your lot with a match winning six goals then?

Could you provide more detail about St Kilda's young players and your assessment of them based on your (extensive) experience of watching them?

(And it's St Kilda, not saint kilda.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the Saints about to become the next "port"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back