Are Victorians holding football back?

Remove this Banner Ad

historical evidence shows that the game was played in SA and Tasmania at the same time if nor earlier than Victoria, in 1840. Victoria may have codified the rules nearly 20 years later but that doesn't mean it 'started' in Victoria per se, by the time they codified the rules they were aware of what was going on in other States.
According to Michael Mansell Aboriginal activist number 1 .The Aboriginals invented Football by kicking possum skins which were tightly bound together with bind a twine between the red river gum goals almost 50,000 years ago.He saw it in the cave paintings.

Ahk fair enough mate. And I do agree with you on the Brisbane front, so there is some good merit in staying also. I know the Kangas are doing well on the membership front, marketing etc., but do you really think long term your club can survive in Melbourne as one club?

We could probably do better as two clubs. What? North Melbourne?
Or would you prefer three clubs, North Melbourne Kangaroos.
Maybe four. Victorian North Melbourne Kangaroos.
Eight. Victorian North Melbourne Kangaroos at Original Home Arden Street.

Ahk fair enough mate. And I do agree with you on the Brisbane front, so there is some good merit in staying also. I know the Kangas are doing well on the membership front, marketing etc., but do you really think long term your club can survive in Melbourne as one club?

Yep, absolutely. The stadium deal is now sorted. Its not ideal but it is a hell of a lot better than what we had.

We have $3.5m debt that the club has indicated we are going to try and reduce as much as possible via a Demons style campaign next year. They showed you can dratically reduce your debt very quickly that way. They did it mostly not through big money donations but via smaller to medium type stuff.

Anyway, the improving economy means that people will be more ready to part with cash for that sort of thing and the white knights, many of whom would have been spooked by the GFC may even re-emerge. In some regards, they already are.

There's two other crucial factors: the generation of kids converted in the Carey era are now only just approaching financial independence ... they can buy memberships/atend games etc.

Two, on field. We have bottomed out without being pathetic tanker priority pick scum - I believe your club, mine and Geelong are the only teams enever to receive a priority pick - and we have drafted really well since 2006. If we get this draft right and have a bit of luck with injuries, we are set for a very successful period leading up to what I hope will be a fulfilled premiership window.

You mean the "Rugby League" historians who have been deriding our game? The only ones who dispute it are ones with rugby ingrained into them and wont admit it on principle.

Seriously dude, the guys who dispute it have many holes in their story and their theories have been debunked by the majority of credible historians.

Cultures from all around the world have played games that were primarily based on kicking a ball. These in the modern world developed into games such as Rugby, Gridiron, Soccer, Gaelic Footy and AFL. Fact is, the game we call Football could not be seen to exist until concrete rules were written down, as before those rules it was likely to have been closer to any of those other games. There has never been a credible link between any game indigenous Australians played and the creation of AFL football.

The origins of our game started in 1858 in Melbourne. It then adapted and changed to what we know today. All parts of Australia have contributed to this, but Victoria, having the greatest population of the states where Aussie Rules is the number 1 code (and for a time the largest population of any state) has been the most influential in the evolution of the game.

Yep, absolutely. The stadium deal is now sorted. Its not ideal but it is a hell of a lot better than what we had.

We have $3.5m debt that the club has indicated we are going to try and reduce as much as possible via a Demons style campaign next year. They showed you can dratically reduce your debt very quickly that way. They did it mostly not through big money donations but via smaller to medium type stuff.

Anyway, the improving economy means that people will be more ready to part with cash for that sort of thing and the white knights, many of whom would have been spooked by the GFC may even re-emerge. In some regards, they already are.

There's two other crucial factors: the generation of kids converted in the Carey era are now only just approaching financial independence ... they can buy memberships/atend games etc.

Two, on field. We have bottomed out without being pathetic tanker priority pick scum - I believe your club, mine and Geelong are the only teams enever to receive a priority pick - and we have drafted really well since 2006. If we get this draft right and have a bit of luck with injuries, we are set for a very successful period leading up to what I hope will be a fulfilled premiership window.
That is one thing I do respect clubs like yours for, never subscribing to the theory of 'bottoming out'. Well good luck to your club in the future then, it's actually looking a lot brighter than I once thought.:thumbsu:

That is one thing I do respect clubs like yours for, never subscribing to the theory of 'bottoming out'. Well good luck to your club in the future then, it's actually looking a lot brighter than I once thought.:thumbsu:

Cheers mate!!!

We'll pay you back for 98 soon enough.

Let's just hope Blighty gets to present the cup to us.

Well, back to the OP, how does John Brumby fit in all of this with comments like the following, he must still think it's the VFL....

KEVIN Sheedy and Victorian Premier John Brumby believe the first AFL match to be played on Chinese soil next year will ignite a passion for Aussie Rules in Asia.

"This will be a great way to promote our game, it will be a great way to promote AFL and it will be a great way to build a stronger relationship between China and Victoria," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26381165-5016212,00.html

Long-term I think there will only be a few teams that represent inner Melbourne, but the other teams will naturally migrate to what are regional centers as population expansion will move from outer Melbourne suburbs to the regional centers which are not too far away from Melbourne.

We now have a growing relationship with Werribee and particularly Ballarat, this is a significant North Western Victoria corridor with Ballarat being a major inland city, and growing rapidly as it is not too far from Melbourne and Werribee is the gateway between Melbourne and Ballarat. In the future a significant part of the population growth in Melbourne and Victoria will be in that corridor and we are laying the seeds now that will hopefully develop into what will be the foundation for our future.

It is not a get rich quick scheme, there is definite synergy between us and our affiliate VFL clubs and we are extending that relationship with growing commitments to the communities.

Regional centers like Ballarat, Bendigo and Casey will likely be future homes to three clubs, we are talking greater distance than between Brisbane and Gold Coast, they are too far out for Melbourne to represent them, Casey is already expanding rapidly, there is strong growth in the other two as well.

Melbourne and Saints are now trying to claim Casey, Essendon had strong ties with Bendigo but they are probably too big to move out, Geelong and Bulldogs are firmly entrenched in the west, we are the only ones looking at the North West corridor, with the Doggies abandoning Werribee a few years ago it opened up the opportunity for us to entrench ourselves in the North West and we have already made our intention public in terms of our commitment to Ballarat long-term.

I hope things continue to develop well, I really enjoy our relationship with North Ballarat and it would be fantastic if we can grow the relationship and when their population grows sufficiently long-term then I think there will be a natural move progression from VFL alliance to one day representing that community. It will be a natural evolution rather than the unnatural monstrosity the AFL wanted up north.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Victorians holding football back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back