Opinion Are you really ready for the 2025-2031 TV Broadcast deal conditions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously where you are is Football crazy, how does it work there?
People hang out at bars a lot to watch?

It was in my youth. I imagine that still is; specially now with different streamings showing games.

Only good thing about this is Showdowns should be on Thursday or Friday nights moving forward

Only good thing about this is Showdowns should be occasionally more often on Thursday or Friday nights moving forward
FTFY

What won’t be a subscription in 15 years?
There will still be a reasonable chunk of AFL on free TV.

The anti-siphoning laws and common sense will mean it wont go 100% subscription.

The US professional sports share it around with all the major free to air and subscription broadcasters as they know 100% subscription coverage will see them lose viewers, especially when home teams sell out venues and live against the gate has been standard for decades.

Apart from world football, sports that have gone 100% or nearly 100% subscription have suffered big loss of audiences. Cricket in UK and Rugby Union in Oz are prime examples.

Cricket in India can be 100% subscription because people have stolen feeds, community cabling up of feeds started from day 1 in the 1990's of subscription TV, so subscription TV is cheap and its an advertising model in India where they make money and as a result, commentators get cut off if they don't finish their comments as the over ends, as they rush to ads.

I don't know why anyone with more than a passing interest in AFL wouldn't just sign up to Kayo. $25 per month, you only need it for 6 months of the year, total cost for the year is $150.
I have Kayo for this reason, but it is also the shittest app in the world!

The anti-siphoning laws and common sense will mean it wont go 100% subscription.

The US professional sports share it around with all the major free to air and subscription broadcasters as they know 100% subscription coverage will see them lose viewers, especially when home teams sell out venues and live against the gate has been standard for decades.

Apart from world football, sports that have gone 100% or nearly 100% subscription have suffered big loss of audiences. Cricket in UK and Rugby Union in Oz are prime examples.

Cricket in India can be 100% subscription because people have stolen feeds, community cabling up of feeds started from day 1 in the 1990's of subscription TV, so subscription TV is cheap and its an advertising model in India where they make money and as a result, commentators get cut off if they don't finish their comments as the over ends, as they rush to ads.
NFL have shared it around with multiple streamers and FTA, so to watch your team you could need to buy multiple channels. Which makes all games on Kayo seem fantastic.

NFL have shared it around with multiple streamers and FTA, so to watch your team you could need to buy multiple channels. Which makes all games on Kayo seem fantastic.

It also depends which team you follow. For example Fox cover the NFC games only, so if your team plays in the NFC and doesn't get a Thursday night or Monday night game, then you can watch all your games in the home city market on Fox.

If you live 1,000 miles away from your teams home city, then you will need a subscription of some sort.

It also depends which team you follow. For example Fox cover the NFC games only, so if your team plays in the NFC and doesn't get a Thursday night or Monday night game, then you can watch all your games in the home city market on Fox.

If you live 1,000 miles away from your teams home city, then you will need a subscription of some sort.
Yup its a right mess. Similar with baseball, the baseball one makes even less sense. The history of broadcasting for it is fantastic thought. The Atlanta Braves for example became a national brand due to flogging off rights cheap early one, the Cubs were similar being the first to open up to radio etc.

I meant outside footy too, I will fond some ways to kill off costs and pick up Kayo or Fox next year, i've always wished you could just get the Fox Footy channel, and just pay for that.

I'm always amused hoe marketing and making a $ comes before all else, given the fact they could easily offer that if they wanted too (from a tech point of view).

Everything is a subscription, when you realised how much money is leeched from all of us it's quite staggering.

The best bit of $ driving everything is being unable to pay for petrol at the pump, I mean that did come in didn't it years ago?, but i'm guessing sales in iced-coffee dropped so they stopped that.

More a societal gripe for subscriptions.... Adobe for one are absolute crooks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t get the Kayo hate on here - I’ve never had an issue streaming via Kayo on phone, iPad or through PS5.

The online streaming isn't really the issue.
It's just an outdated interface and can be frustrating to navigate through at times just to look for a reply or mini.

It doesn’t always save the point where you last watched also, annoys the heck out of me.

The "I don't know why people don't just pay x for it" type comments make me laugh, as if they're not going to just keep increasing the prices whenever they feel like it, because they know you don't have any other options.

I wonder if 7plus games will be live only or able to be rewatched?

Been wanting 7plus games for years, not a fan of the shitty Saturdays, but I'll be moving to Victoria later this year and have to make changes anyway.

The "I don't know why people don't just pay x for it" type comments make me laugh, as if they're not going to just keep increasing the prices whenever they feel like it, because they know you don't have any other options.
Also amid a CoL/Property/Inflation/Jobs crisis - why not just pay for yet another indulgence?

Apparently the Kayo digital AFL memberships blew up more than Murdoch expected and as such will be an extra $100 a season from next year

Apparently the Kayo digital AFL memberships blew up more than Murdoch expected and as such will be an extra $100 a season from next year
I'd wager they'll also make it so that you can't share screens with another person too

I don't know why anyone with more than a passing interest in AFL wouldn't just sign up to Kayo. $25 per month, you only need it for 6 months of the year, total cost for the year is $150.
I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t be able to stump up $150 for the AFL.

….
and $150 for Optus Sport for the EPL…

and $200 for ESPN for the NBA, NHL and MLB…

and $250 for Netflix…

and $450 for your mobile 5g coverage…

….
and $500 for nbn with good enough streaming bandwidth…

and
and
and

These are choices now, and the sports have worked out that it’s not necessarily how many eyes you get, but how many paying eyes you can get.
And consumers have to accept that it’s not about how things you can watch, but how many you can afford to watch.

Good luck to them. Best of luck to us.

What you are posting is manageable for most of us as long as we are only paying for Kayo. What happens if rival streaming services buy the rights to a major sporting events? You could have AFL on Kayo, the Olympics on Prime and the NRL on some other streaming service. You could have a situation where the AFL minor round is on FOXTEL and Kayo but AFL Grand Final is broadcast on an entirely different streaming service. You might have to pay for 3 or 4 streaming services in order to get coverage of different sports. Late last year the Federal Government amended the anti siphoning laws but they left a loophole and that has been pointed out by the Australian Greens who are attempting to get the Government to revisit the legislation. The Minister can add or remove specific sporting events from the anti siphoning schedule but he or she cannot prevent events from being farmed out the the highest bidder over multiple streaming services.

What you post is feasible in the present situation but the ground changes. In recent years some big players and big payers like Amazon have moved into streaming. What sports fans should be worried about is not what we have at present but what sports coverage might become. The link below leads to an informative article.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Are you really ready for the 2025-2031 TV Broadcast deal conditions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back