Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 21 - 24 Power beat Freo. Blues make finals. Thank you Port!

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to us to play a good brand of footy. This contested game is too taxing bruising …and a bit dull

Get some burst pacey types in and a run and gun brand of footy …it’s the future
It's a bit of trend now, AFL wise.

The athletes squeezed out the footballers when professionalism hit. You still had some genuine quality players coming in and you still had the freaks, but you needed something athletically outstanding to get by. Where once you had the space for a Scott West, Peverill accumulator, by 2008 Clarkson couldn't find space for Brad Sewell in a thin midfield because he was considered too slow. Then, the AFL starts to see strength compensating for ability in the early 2010's, with Brenden Sanderson's approach at Adelaide early being to surround the footy with 2 extra blokes and grind teams to dust against bigger and stronger blokes. You have Port picking SPP and Ollie Wines, Priddis winning a brownlow, us picking Cripps, and the AFL seeing contact injuries and concussion popping up as the once smaller players who could've been midfielders either making way for a behemoth or getting crunched, the Marc Murphy way; brilliant talent slowing and becoming less agile and skillful simply to compete with the massive bodies. Then, the AFL pivots again with interchange restrictions, bringing it down to 75 over the course of 8 seasons, chucking a further cap on what it means to be a footballer.

No longer is it enough simply to have a single athletically outstanding attribute. You can't be straight line powerful like Dane Swan, a pure footballer like Paul Chapman. Jimmy Bartell would go in the second round these days, and he'd struggle to get a game. You need to be tall; you need to be above average pace; you need to aerobatically be exceptional.

We're a long way from Gary Moorecroft taking an impossible mark over two taller blokes simply because he wanted it more. Footy's no longer the sport for every body shape, and that's a shame.

FINALLY seeing Liam Stocker play in the middle and looks great. Wins the ball and creates.

It’s why SOS traded picks to get him. Same as Kemp

I sometimes wonder what these coaches are doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s had 12 touches and 1 tackle in 3 quarters. I would be holding off on any praise yet
I said he looked great. Never said he was dominating?

Went into middle that quarter and made a big difference. Saints went from 5 goals down to a goal up that qtr on the back of centre dominance. He had 2 clearances and 2 inside 50s, one score

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 21 - 24 Power beat Freo. Blues make finals. Thank you Port!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back