Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Khawaja averages above 40 at Test level. Which of the alternatives could boast that record?

I wish it could be Puc, but it can't. I like Hunt too, but not sure if he's ready.
Frankly who gives a shit what his average is?

“I really think his horse has bolted. I’m not convinced that Khawaja is a good enough player… Khawaja’s a good player against mediocre bowling, but against good bowling I don’t think there’s much future there.”

While less overtly critical, Mark Taylor, another former Australia captain, feels Khawaja would not be the right option for Australia.

“Travis Head has started the season very well, albeit against oppositions that doesn’t have the Test or T20 players in it and on what looks to be pretty good pitches around Adelaide,” he said on Sports Sunday. “At the end of the day, I think it is going to come down to Khawaja, Head and Marcus Harris – they’ve all been tried and no one has nailed it down.

Both former captains are right. Time to move past yesterday's man.

Probably got to stop putting young kids in who are destined to fail because they haven't been developed and played enough game or been made to earn it. Then they get dropped, recalled after a good inning or two without fixing their weaknesses and then spit them out as 'not good enough' when they haven't been developed correctly.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Carey averaging over 40 this season while Ingliss has hardly played. Surely Carey comes in. Much better batsman and has taken more FC dismissals as a keeper than any other state keeper over the last 5 years

Carey recent stats
RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER

Josh Ingliss recent Stats

RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER

Pat's awesome but I really don't want a fast bowler as Captain.

As durable as he's been since his return they're most likely to get injured + are more likely to push themselves too far resulting in an injury when trying to win the game for their team.

Best option IMO is to bring Khawaja in for 12 months so he can guide us through The Ashes and some tough overseas assignments. if the runs aren't there make a more permanent decision next summer.
Its not ideal but he is the best option .

Whoever is captain will need to deal with Smith who has pretty much said he wants the gig back .
Plus you have Warner who could go rogue .
Then you have a thin unsettled batting line up .

Not sure Khawaja has the personality to deal or lead with all that .

We really have minimal options

Carey averaging over 40 this season while Ingliss has hardly played. Surely Carey comes in. Much better batsman and has taken more FC dismissals as a keeper than any other state keeper over the last 5 years

Carey recent stats
RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER

RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER
He didn't look like a good keeper when I've seen him. Love to be proven wrong as he looks like he has some fight in him.

Carey recent stats
RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER

RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER
I always find the amount of dismissals as a key stat for a keeper a weird one. Surely 95% of dismissals by a keeper are everyday dismissals an average keeper would take and most come down to how good the bowling attack is (bowlers who get fine edges etc).

Surely there are stats on missed catches/stumpings that are more important (including context - as in easy missed chances)

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Carey recent stats
RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER

RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER
Whats the point of using a bunch of Inglis's white ball innings from a gimmick 100 ball tournament to compare the two? Inglis averaged 73 with the bat in the shield last season. A better bat than Carey and with a much higher ceiling imo, a better keeper and 3 years or so younger.

Last edited:
Pat's awesome but I really don't want a fast bowler as Captain.

As durable as he's been since his return they're most likely to get injured + are more likely to push themselves too far resulting in an injury when trying to win the game for their team.

Best option IMO is to bring Khawaja in for 12 months so he can guide us through The Ashes and some tough overseas assignments. if the runs aren't there make a more permanent decision next summer.
You are not serious Khawaja as captain. He is a flip of a coin to even make the side

Frankly who gives a sh*t what his average is?

“I really think his horse has bolted. I’m not convinced that Khawaja is a good enough player… Khawaja’s a good player against mediocre bowling, but against good bowling I don’t think there’s much future there.”

While less overtly critical, Mark Taylor, another former Australia captain, feels Khawaja would not be the right option for Australia.

“Travis Head has started the season very well, albeit against oppositions that doesn’t have the Test or T20 players in it and on what looks to be pretty good pitches around Adelaide,” he said on Sports Sunday. “At the end of the day, I think it is going to come down to Khawaja, Head and Marcus Harris – they’ve all been tried and no one has nailed it down.

Both former captains are right. Time to move past yesterday's man.

Tubby has had it in for Khawaja for years he has never rated him since he walked out of NSW not sure if its a personality clash. But whenever Khawaja in the past has been discussed for Australian team he has always gone for someone else to be selected

Carey recent stats
RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER

RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER

Joe Burns got picked on worse numbers last year then Carey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carey recent stats
RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER

RECENT MATCHES - PLAYER
Maybe look at Philippe's shield season. Inglis is away playin t20. Peirson doing well. Carey has been hung out to pasture and has not found form as of yet. Carey is the incumbent though. Im just lovin the blues atm.

There's a lot of a chatter amongst those in the Sydney Grade scene that Nevill is going to get an unexpected call up. I don't know why given he didn't make the A squad.

I'm not sure if it's misguided hope, or this is genuinely an option. Could be some enjoying a bit of a tale after some Friday night beverages.

I'm a big Nevill fan and he is one of the nicest guys in the Sydney cricket scene so would love to see him right the wrongs of his test career. But he had his chance and fluffed his lines big time. He is a much better cricketer than he showed with the Baggy Green, but cricket (and all sport for that matter) is littered with blokes that got their big chance and didn't do themselves justice. Unfortunately for Nev, I would have thought that's something he is going to have to live with, especially with Carey the heir apparent for a couple of years and Inglis seemingly pulled up alongside him, possibly even overtaken him.

If it went down that path it would take this surreal scenario to another level. I can't see it happening.

Last edited:
Only serious contenders are Cummins Smith and Labuschange. Would like to see Labuschange captain Qld
Labushange is miles off it IMO . Nothing about him looks like captain material at state or international level to me .
And we need him making runs , not thinking about other stuff .

I really hope this is actually a close series, one sided test cricket, even if your side is winning, is really dull. Can't see England scoring enough runs or taking enough wickets though, would take some seriously good individual efforts from a few of their big players. Feeling so excited for the first test though!

The ton he made in the shield final showed a lot of leadership. I wouldn’t make him captain yet but would like to see him do it at FC level
Top order bat for Australia you would expect to make runs in a shield final , it's your job.

Not saying he wont captain at some point , I just dont see anything with him currently that suggests future captain or leader.

Re: Carey v Inglis. If you look at their recent shield records as a batsman...

Carey
2021/22: 6 Innings, 148 runs @ 29.6
2020/21: 6 Innings, 299 runs @ 59.8
2019/20: 7 Innings, 386 runs @ 55.14

Inglis
2021/22: 2 Innings, 41 runs @ 20.50
2020/21: 12 Innings, 585 runs @ 73.13
2019/20: 13 Innings, 323 runs @ 24.85

In Carey's favour is consistency over the last few years, though batting form this season not that great.

In Inglis' favour is his 20/21 season where he played double the amount of red ball cricket than Carey, had a breakout season and scored 3 tons.

I'd pick Inglis based on those numbers but I have a feeling selectors would favour consistency and Carey's experience would be deemed in his favour.

I can't see why going back to Smith wouldn't work.

If nothing else the guy would have a LOT to prove, and improve upon.

Not a single other player in the side has captaincy experience at anything approaching the level of Test Cricket, much less Ashes cricket.

I'd sooner see Cummins concentrate on taking wickets at the rate he has been without the massive added burden of Ashes Captaincy.

Smith, for mine, is the only feasible option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back