Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Not if you're picking from the people in the 11.

We're not Poms, we don't pick a spud because they're a good Captain.
When is the last time England picked a spud as captain? Even their short term ones or those that ended badly were established and very good players. Stokes, Root, Cook, Pietersen, Strauss, Flintoff, Trescothick, Vaughan going back to around 20 years ago.

I hope Head cements his spot this series because I don't want a quick in the job for long and I think he'll make a very good captain.

Not if you're picking from the people in the 11.

We're not Poms, we don't pick a spud because they're a good Captain.
But why not? I sometimes think we need to take the romanticism out of selecting the national team. If a wicketkeeper will save you more runs than another option makes when batting, the former is better for the team. Likewise if you have a Captain that through setting fields and rotating bowlers more than compensates for their lower batting average or higher bowling strike rate, why would you go with another option?

* I know that there is power in a Captain being able to lead from the front etc, but can't we be just a bit more objective?

Re: Carey v Inglis. If you look at their recent shield records as a batsman...

Carey
2021/22: 6 Innings, 148 runs @ 29.6
2020/21: 6 Innings, 299 runs @ 59.8
2019/20: 7 Innings, 386 runs @ 55.14

Inglis
2021/22: 2 Innings, 41 runs @ 20.50
2020/21: 12 Innings, 585 runs @ 73.13
2019/20: 13 Innings, 323 runs @ 24.85

In Carey's favour is consistency over the last few years, though batting form this season not that great.

In Inglis' favour is his 20/21 season where he played double the amount of red ball cricket than Carey, had a breakout season and scored 3 tons.

I'd pick Inglis based on those numbers but I have a feeling selectors would favour consistency and Carey's experience would be deemed in his favour.

good post.
Personally would be ok with either but would love to see Carey rewarded. He and Cummins would be a great leadership team.

Interesting that Khawaja now seems to have a lot of public support, I guess the longer you’re out of the team the higher your reputation grows.

If it’s a selection for here and now he’s in. Although if you’re preparing for all the tours throughout Asia next year, surely not.

Interesting that Khawaja now seems to have a lot of public support, I guess the longer you’re out of the team the higher your reputation grows.

If it’s a selection for here and now he’s in. Although if you’re preparing for all the tours throughout Asia next year, surely not.
Even if you are picking for the here and now he shouldn’t be in

Surely Paine doesn't get selected? He'll get eaten alive by the opposition and fans. It seems an unnecessary distraction

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

People do realise that the barmy army are a bunch of obese (mostly) middle aged men that re hash soccer chants and old songs? Always astounds me how much is made of their mental influence on hardened test cricketers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People do realise that the barmy army are a bunch of obese (mostly) middle aged men that re hash soccer chants and old songs? Always astounds me how much is made of their mental influence on hardened test cricketers.
I'm not just talking about the Barmy Army. He'll be copping it from all corners. There will even be a contingent of Australia fans giving him a spray.

It's just added unnecessary pressure IMO, particularly if he muffs a catch or bats poorly.

When is the last time England picked a spud as captain? Even their short term ones or those that ended badly were established and very good players. Stokes, Root, Cook, Pietersen, Strauss, Flintoff, Trescothick, Vaughan going back to around 20 years ago.

I hope Head cements his spot this series because I don't want a quick in the job for long and I think he'll make a very good captain.

I personally think his captaincy for SA has been generally poor, the fact he bowls himself so much is frustrating too.

Surely Paine doesn't get selected? He'll get eaten alive by the opposition and fans. It seems an unnecessary distraction

There is literally no better time to blood a new keeper. Since sandpaper I was convinced Paine has only been a lock due to his leadership. If that's over then his spot should be up for grabs.

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Khawaja
Green
Carey
Cummins
Richardson/Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

12th: Swepson

On paper, that feels like a mature and strong side.

usman is a good average test player. He isn’t going to set the world on fire but he will average 40.

harris doesn’t even look like it at test level. 10 tests is enough to know if someone is good enough to make it. He isn’t good enough.

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Khawaja
Green
Carey
Cummins
Richardson/Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

12th: Swepson

On paper, that feels like a mature and strong side.

I reckon that's on the money.
Such a pity Pucovski is still on the mend though.
If Harris fails, I'd really like to see Hunt given a crack at the top.

I reckon that's on the money.
Such a pity Pucovski is still on the mend though.
If Harris fails, I'd really like to see Hunt given a crack at the top.
Hunt looks like he will be a good player but he’s played 20 first class games. Needs another year at least. They blooded Renshaw young and tried to change his game and he went backwards.
It’s a shame about Pucovski

People are forgetting that it was Starc and Lyon who were toothless last summer with the ball.

These 2 need to lift. I'm not even convinced Starc should play at the Gabba.
I'm not sure anyone has forgotten. It's been brought up on nearly every page of this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back