Ashley Hansen Plan B for Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

What's illegal about it?

It's 'front end loading' a contract as opposed to the 'back ending' we often see, particularly when someone's final season of a contract is as a veteran where only 1/2 gets included in the cap.

Anyone that puts a figure on their head have to do so for the first 2 years, not one. In your example the club that took him would get away with only paying him $150K in his second year.

What's illegal about it?

It's 'front end loading' a contract as opposed to the 'back ending' we often see, particularly when someone's final season of a contract is as a veteran where only 1/2 gets included in the cap.

For a start I never said it was illegal, and he is not a veteran.

But the contract will have to comply with Australian workplace and taxation laws for starters.

And also comply within the Australian players Association guidelines and whatever rules that the AFL has in place regarding player contracts.

If what your suggesting is that Faz can rock up and strike a cosy deal with lets say the Eagles like this

$500,000 year one
$200,000 year two
$200,000 year three

and not disclose this to the AFL during this draft, either the people the AFL have making the rules are total tools or you are underestimating the rules they currently have in place to stop rorts like these.

I suspect the later :)

I do have faith in them.

The part where you said "surely something else can be done"

Gee good one mate im sure the coaches are sitting down going ok boys Hansen is all we can get dont worry about anyone else Hansen Hansen Hansen.

Why don't you throw something up, instead of always criticising!

So you agree that this is all that can be done then.

But it remains that what is incorrect in what I said

Trouble is as unpalatable as it is I am dead right once again.

My solution is to not recriut duds with your 4th pick in the first place overall especially when you are the best recruiter in the business - could have treded pick 4 for a KPP. but we havent needed any of them over the past ten years have we.

So you agree that this is all that can be done then.

But it remains that what is incorrect in what I said

Trouble is as unpalatable as it is I am dead right once again.

My solution is to not recriut duds with your 4th pick in the first place overall especially when you are the best recruiter in the business - could have treded pick 4 for a KPP. but we havent needed any of them over the past ten years have we.

Mate you are out of control, but we will get a coherrent answer out of you!

Ok, moving forward we will not recruit duds, and we won't have the "best in the business" working for us, so everthing should be ok and you won't have to worry.

But, what do you suggest we do tomorrow, considering our current predicament?

Mate you are out of control, but we will get a coherrent answer out of you!

Ok, moving forward we will not recruit duds, and we won't have the "best in the business" working for us, so everthing should be ok and you won't have to worry.

But, what do you suggest we do tomorrow, considering our current predicament?

My recomendation is to not get ourself into the decade long position of having too many of the same player player type by

a) Recuiting to fill a strategic gaps and not always just pickng what is perceived to be the best available this is a flawed approached and our problems are testimony to this.

b) be prepared to trade picks in week drafts eg Ray pick 4 walsh pick 4 - Power 11 for established talent to fill our gaps

C) Pick larger tougher bodied players not Power and Mc mahon etc

D) Be ruthless when it is obvious that champs are past the time when they will bring a flag and move them on for picks.

My recomendation is to not get ourself into the decade long position of having too many of the same player player type by

a) Recuiting to fill a strategic gaps and not always just pickng what is perceived to be the best available this is a flawed approached and our problems are testimony to this.

b) be prepared to trade picks in week drafts eg Ray pick 4 walsh pick 4 - Power 11 for established talent to fill our gaps

D) Be ruthless when it is obvious that champs are past the time when they will bring a flag and move them on for picks.

All very reasonable Tempo, but what do you suppose we do with our CURRENT situation.

While I don't agree with all of your points, some of them have merrit like drafting from time to time players that will fill strategic gaps on our list, a little bit like what we did last year with Grant and Bouman perhaps?

Trading away early draft picks like the Walsh and Ray is an idea, but can you tell me which good KPP were up for trade at that time? Can you tell me the club didn't try to do this? And before you use the Griffen and Franklin issue as an example of this don't bother, there's an argument to suggest our recruiting staff would have been negligent to pick up Franklin at all let alone at number three, and where would we have found another gun midfielder to replace Griffen?

Agree that mistakes were made by drafting Power and Macmahon, it did result in our list being too thin, and too uniformed in the type of players we had at our disposal.

The last point you made confuses me a little. Are you suggesting we should have palmed off Johnson, West, Grant and Darcy over recent years? If so, could you possibly be overestimating the value these guys had at the trade table, or underestimating the impact they have week in and week out for our team?

But, all of this is irrelevant Tempo. The question asked of you was what would you do in regards to our CURRENT trade week situation. Can you provide an answer to that question? Or are you going to provide one half witted attempt at humour after another to get your own self indulgent sense of self gratification?

All very reasonable Tempo, but what do you suppose we do with our CURRENT situation.

While I don't agree with all of your points, some of them have merrit like drafting from time to time players that will fill strategic gaps on our list, a little bit like what we did last year with Grant and Bouman perhaps?

Trading away early draft picks like the Walsh and Ray is an idea, but can you tell me which good KPP were up for trade at that time? Can you tell me the club didn't try to do this? And before you use the Griffen and Franklin issue as an example of this don't bother, there's an argument to suggest our recruiting staff would have been negligent to pick up Franklin at all let alone at number three, and where would we have found another gun midfielder to replace Griffen?

If we picked Franklin we would have got Griff at 6 read my other post on this matter

Agree that mistakes were made by drafting Power and Macmahon, it did result in our list being too thin, and too uniformed in the type of players we had at our disposal.

The last point you made confuses me a little. Are you suggesting we should have palmed off Johnson, West, Grant and Darcy over recent years? If so, could you possibly be overestimating the value these guys had at the trade table, or underestimating the impact they have week in and week out for our team?

YES when it was obvious they were not going to bring a flag.

But, all of this is irrelevant Tempo. The question asked of you was what would you do in regards to our CURRENT trade week situation. Can you provide an answer to that question?

More attention and less waffle sport I say that with the greatest respect to you all the wafflers all over the world -

Dont get into the position we are in in the firts instance we are now in the 10 - 12th instance.

D) Be ruthless when it is obvious that champs are past the time when they will bring a flag and move them on for picks

self indulgent sense of self gratification?

I have already read my one handed mag this evening thankyou.... or at least the pages that werent stuck together

Football isn't that black and white unfortunately.

I thought 'b)' was interesting. It makes sense in theory, except you can't always be confident how good the draft/player is going to be. I'm pretty sure West Coast didn't think McDougall was going to be a dud when they took him at pick 5 and they have a sublime track record in the draft. Same goes for Kepler Bradley at pick 6.

Point d) is also worth discussing. I agree with the idea, but once again it's not that black and white. If a player is past his used by date then nobody is going to use picks on him. It simply should be if they aren't in your best 22 OR you have a young kid who's likely to step up or even surpass that season.

As for recruiting the best available. Well last year I said I'd be livid if Palmer was still left when it came to our pick and we took a tall because we needed one. I don't know how good Grant will be and Clayton swears he's the 5th best player in the draft but it will be interesting how this change in philosophy will work out.

As for picking 'tougher players'. Well that's just bollocks. You have to make assumptions on how they will fill out. C.Grant = Filled out great, A.Everitt = Great filling out potential, R.Murphy = still weedy but classy enough.

You can't draw lines in the sand like that about weight and height when drafting. You have to keep a complete open mind you don't know what kid is going to be the next Libba(over looked because of his size), Leigh Matthews or Kepler Bradley.

Football isn't that black and white unfortunately.

I thought 'b)' was interesting. It makes sense in theory, except you can't always be confident how good the draft/player is going to be. I'm pretty sure West Coast didn't think McDougall was going to be a dud when they took him at pick 5 and they have a sublime track record in the draft. Same goes for Kepler Bradley at pick 6.

Point d) is also worth discussing. I agree with the idea, but once again it's not that black and white. If a player is past his used by date then nobody is going to use picks on him. It simply should be if they aren't in your best 22 OR you have a young kid who's likely to step up or even surpass that season.

As for recruiting the best available. Well last year I said I'd be livid if Palmer was still left when it came to our pick and we took a tall because we needed one. I don't know how good Grant will be and Clayton swears he's the 5th best player in the draft but it will be interesting how this change in philosophy will work out.

As for picking 'tougher players'. Well that's just bollocks. You have to make assumptions on how they will fill out. C.Grant = Filled out great, A.Everitt = Great filling out potential, R.Murphy = still weedy but classy enough.

You can't draw lines in the sand like that about weight and height when drafting. You have to keep a complete open mind you don't know what kid is going to be the next Libba(over looked because of his size), Leigh Matthews or Kepler Bradley.

Just wanted to let you know I couldnt be bothered reading all that .. thanks for the efforts it is admirable.

I read your post in the other thread about Griffen and Franklin. Pretty sure if Griff was still available after we took Franklin the Tigers would have jumped all over him, not even they would have been stupid enough to take Tambling over him, but if you want to believe everything the great Hawthorn insider Dermott Brereton says with four years of retrospect behind him then good for you. But have you read the numerous posts regarding Franklins attitude towards the Bulldogs, Tigers and other clubs during draft week?

All good and well to say that we could have off loaded West, Johnson, Grant and Darcy to other clubs for good KPP or draft picks, but I think you are severely overrating the value they would have provided at the trade table, and underrating the value the first two have provided us over the last few years. Just dumping club stallwarts has more effects on a club than providing it with early draft picks chief, remember that.

Now, back to the original question, apart from fixing the mistakes made in the past by the most "overrated" recruiter in the univers, how can we use this trade period to improve our list for next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's illegal about it?

When nominating a price for the draft, i think the average goes toward the TPPs, to avoid this manouvre being used.

So your 900k total deal would mean 300k per year, not 600k then 150k for the next two.

Interesting post Tempo, and whilst I don't completely agree with you there are some valid points made. I would also like to point out that since the arrival of Rodney Eade we have been leaning towards these steps.

a) Recruiting to fill a strategic gaps and not always just picking what is perceived to be the best available this is a flawed approached and our problems are testimony to this.

I think this varies, but last year we did this to a degree. Jarryd Grant was going to be our first pick regardless of who was available I feel (bar Kreuzer). We also tend to allocate certain players we are targetting with certain picks.

If you look through the draft day articles that outline our recruiting process, we often have identified certain players we will target with a pick. eg. Last year we targeted Callan Ward with pick 19, the year prior we aimed for Brennan Stack with pick 45. And we also try and make sure we have the right balance of players, so essentially we are merging the best available technique with picking for positions.

As a long time Bulldogs fan (I can only assume) you would remember both of these players were picked up before the whole Rodney Eade era. All our picks underneath Rodney Eade have been in much stronger drafts than the 2002 and 2004 drafts, which were both pretty shocking. Expect us to be a bit more adventurous with our picks in next years trade week assuming there is quality available.

Well if you look at our picks since Eade has joined the club we have added the following players who were or had/have the potential to reach this body size:

Big Bodied/Tougher Players (Real units): Griffen (For a midfielder he's big), Tommygun, Addison, O'Shea, Reid, Boumann, Mulligan

Strong bodied players (Average size; think a Gia or Callan): Wells, McCormack, Tiller, Higgins, Montgomery, West, Akermanis, McDougall, Everitt, Stack, Hudson, Callan, Grant, Ward, Wood, O'Keefe, Welsh, Shaw

Smaller sized bodies (The Robert Murphy's of this world, usually have another atrribute to compensate): Baird (good hands), Hill (Leap, endurance), Lynch (Pace), Harbrow (pace), White (pace?)

So since Eade has arrived just 5 players fit into the body size category you don't want, out of over 25 players, with all having other attributes to benefit them. Also take note that none of them were picked before pick 46 in the ND, meaning we aren't using our high picks on these slimmer bodied players such as Power, who has no attribute to compensate for his size. You will also notice almost all the players mentioned have the guts to back into marking contests and have a go. Something that Power and McMahon at times weren't so good at.

Scott West ring a bell? He was moved on this year because the club don't see him bringing us a flag. That in my opinion was pretty ruthless.

The problem with trading these players though is that generally if you notice they're on the decline other clubs will too. And think of the affect this would place on the team.

These players would generally be older blokes who have been at the club for at the very least 5 plus years. Imagine if the club turned around today and put Brad Johnson on the table for trade. There would be outrage from Bulldogs members, media, players, board members and any single person who had a mild interest in footy, not to mention it would make us an unimpressive destination for any player over 25 looking for a club, I know Ryan O'Keefe wouldn't join us, and neither would have Aker. The fact of the matter is the best offer we would get would be a pick in the 3rd/4th round, and would that really offset the damage it would do? I think not.

So really since Eade has arrived we've started doing these things as much as possible without being stupid. We've recruited to fill gaps without compromising the quality of player acquired, we've been prepared to trade picks for needs (Hudson) and haven't overpaid, we've picked larger bodied, tougher and hard at it players and we've moved our stars on when the time has come.

So there's a long reply to the first semi-constructive post in a while from you instead of your usual trolling stuff, I hope you bothered to take the time to read it (and you should also check out Butane's, he raises some good points).

Well you should have. You would have learnt something about how a professional sports team can and can't operate.

Thats better nice and concise I can handle this... well done that dodgy degree is paying off:D

Me I certainly have had a lot of exposure on how a club shouldnt operate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashley Hansen Plan B for Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back