Ask An Expert: Draftee Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are your thoughts on other chargers players being rookied? Mainly talls
Mascitti
Murphy
Forato

Mascitti should get rookied almost definitely: Smart HFF type, elite skills, needs conditioning, average athleticism.

Murphy is a probable/possible - good solid forward, reasonable mark, nothing special athletically. So he is a chance, has decent TAC form, GF etc, but not a definite in my book.

Forato unlikely IMO, yet possible due to lack of rucks. Unsure on his exact height, yet I would think tall enough. Looks to have a good leap and dominates hit outs through this, athletically he seems fine, looks to be agile enough. Quite thin, not overly strong so would struggle a bit in the AFL. Also does not find much of the ball around the ground, not really a presence outside of his ruckwork. His skills are pretty average, fumbles a bit. Needs to tackle more, and improve his actual ruckwork a little bit as it can be inconsistent. Also he is an overage player, don't think he would get rookied, needs to serve an apprenticeship in the VFL first, put some weight on, and develop other sides of his game.

Thanks Offsider,
just a couple more boys Im interested in that could possible get a rookie spot -
From Sandy
Fletcher Roberts
Jack Beech
Ben Darou
Sam Frost

Alot of talk about Frost, Roberts & Darou before the Draft.

Thanks Offsider,
just a couple more boys Im interested in that could possible get a rookie spot -
From Sandy
Fletcher Roberts
Jack Beech
Ben Darou
Sam Frost

Alot of talk about Frost, Roberts & Darou before the Draft.

Enough has been said on Sam Frost so there is no point repeating it. I would be surprised if he was not gone before Brisbane's pick 4.

Fletcher Roberts - he should go probably later rather than earlier, although I would not be surprised if he misses. Had a very good TAC GF, especially in the last quarter, kicked 5 goals and won Sandy the game. Too short for Ruck at AFL level, although could possibly be a back up the way the game is going. More of a KPF, might struggle against better defenders IMO. Solid mark, uses body well, good clean hands, and has nice enough skills. Kicks goals and gets in good spots. A bit inconsistent and will take some time. Athletically average, pace is probably average if not a bit under for AFL level. Nothing standout or special, yet does everything reasonably well. Is skinny so some improvement.

Jack Beech - Ruckman, tall enough for AFL (200cm), yet needs more time in the VFL IMO. Was not great this year, quite inconsistent, at his best he looks to be reasonable. Gets his hands on the ball well, racks up hit outs, yet direction and palm work are a bit average IMO. Needs to give his mids better use. Around the ground a bit poor, can get some big games where he finds it yet does not do it enough. Marking really needs improvement. Also struggles with physicallity, and needs to through himself around and impose himself on the contest. Skills though look quite good, and is a reasonable athlete, he moves quite well and is agile enough. There is potential there, will be a chance late or will work on his game at VFL level IMO. A long term prospect.

Ben Darrou - Looks to be a good chance to get rookied, a few teams showed interest late in him I heard. Probably mid range rookie IMO, no exceptional qualities, although does some things nicely. I like him as a solid medium defender, thin Nick Maxwell and that is how you would hope is career pans out. 190cm, probably struggles on the big dominant talls, yet should look to be third man up at the contest. Already a big unit which helps him a lot of TAC level, and may struggle a bit against bigger bodies. Heard he tested quite well, which is good, does not get caught out to often athletically, and reads the game well. A real footballer who I think could be a valuable addition to a team, although may take a while to adapt to a knew role as played a fair bit as a KPD at underage level. Also makes very good decisions coming out of defence and has a good skill set. Strong clean hands. A good prospect who's body is ready to go possibly, yet will need time to adapt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask An Expert: Draftee Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back