Assistant Coaches - wanted

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly Hawthorn don't have one.
Luke Ball left alone at a stoppage 30 metres from goal, despite having extra numbers back. :( Could cost a grand final spot that sort of thing.

Ball was left alone because from the 3rd Qtr on in recent weeks, The Hawks have used a 3rd man up tactic, Ball exploited it beautifully.

Ball was left alone because from the 3rd Qtr on in recent weeks, The Hawks have used a 3rd man up tactic, Ball exploited it beautifully.
I watched a few replays of that goal last night. What you say is absolutely correct. However, the space should have been blocked regardless of the ruck tactic. In that position, it is indefensible that a player could run into that much space. It was incredibly clever of Ball to find the space and he is a master at it. But at that stage of the game, there is no reason why there are not one or two players to ensure that there is no clean possession in that spot. I'd be pretty confident that Geelong or Collingwood won't allow that sort of space at a forward 50 stoppage unless there is some really clever tactical blocking.

What role though? Is he qualified for a director of coaching role?

Dean Warren is doing a fine job as our footy manager.

Would have thought so.. He put the present structure of the football department in place at Carlton before taking on the roll as Football manager... Just a chat would unveil a wealth of knowledge and experience...inside knowledge of what the Blues would be chasing in the draft & trade...;)

I watched a few replays of that goal last night. What you say is absolutely correct. However, the space should have been blocked regardless of the ruck tactic. In that position, it is indefensible that a player could run into that much space. It was incredibly clever of Ball to find the space and he is a master at it. But at that stage of the game, there is no reason why there are not one or two players to ensure that there is no clean possession in that spot. I'd be pretty confident that Geelong or Collingwood won't allow that sort of space at a forward 50 stoppage unless there is some really clever tactical blocking.

Spot on & the worse bit was once he took possession he was able come inward & not be forced boundary side, opening up the goals. Just a terrible set-up at the stoppage at any stage, let alone considering the stage of the game. Got what they deserved.

Search continues...

As I said in another thread...GET EADE!
Slightly off topic but gee the club is more proactive in terms of responding to issues. Last year, missing out on someone like Craig would have been met with stony silence from the club, with the only reaction coming if Hammo got stuck in. Members' concerns would have been left to fester. Now, within about 24 hours, the club puts out this statement which tries to quells any sort of supporter concern, giving comfort that the club is on the case.

On Eade, I rate him really highly. But Eade as an assistant coach at our club where the coach's position is tenuous makes me feel uneasy.

On Eade, I rate him really highly. But Eade as an assistant coach at our club where the coach's position is tenuous makes me feel uneasy.

This is true but conversely, if Voss doesn't meet his performance expectations and is given the ass, wouldn't we want someone who could step straight into the role as an interim or even our next coach?

This is true but conversely, if Voss doesn't meet his performance expectations and is given the ass, wouldn't we want someone who could step straight into the role as an interim or even our next coach?
:thumbsdown:
Not sure that is the best way to support Vossy and demonstrate a commitment to his success...seems more like a way to white-ant him. It would appear as if we are on track and have good chemistry at all levels at the Club at the moment...why undermine that with an Eade type appointment.

I wouldn't want to set up a support staff which is based on an assumption of failure. If it came to that, I reckon Woewodin is senior coach material.

This is true but conversely, if Voss doesn't meet his performance expectations and is given the ass
donkey-ass-1.jpg
:confused:

:thumbsdown:
Not sure that is the best way to support Vossy and demonstrate a commitment to his success...seems more like a way to white-ant him. It would appear as if we are on track and have good chemistry at all levels at the Club at the moment...why undermine that with an Eade type appointment.

I wouldn't want to set up a support staff which is based on an assumption of failure. If it came to that, I reckon Woewodin is senior coach material.

Whoa whoa, think my post has been mis-interpreted.

What I mean is, Eade would be a massive asset to Voss in a tactical sense, and would make a great senior assistant IMO. I wasn't implying that we would be hiring Eade as a coach in waiting or anything like that. Trust me, there is nobody who wants Voss to succeed more than me.

Not sure about Woey just yet though POBT, what makes you think he would be ready after one year in the system?

Not sure about Woey just yet though POBT, what makes you think he would be ready after one year in the system?

Highly regarded from all reports. Was very good at WAFL level. Has taken control of our midfield group which is where I believe we saw the greatest development and tactical improvement over the year. Next year, he'll have had 2 years as an assistant and 2 years as a head coach at state level. Not the longest apprenticeship but he's done enough to start putting his hat into the ring for senior appointments from 2013 onwards.

What I mean is, Eade would be a massive asset to Voss in a tactical sense, and would make a great senior assistant IMO. I wasn't implying that we would be hiring Eade as a coach in waiting or anything like that. Trust me, there is nobody who wants Voss to succeed more than me.

I think the problem is Lionheart is that Eade cast a big shadow. Let's say Voss goes 0-6 at the start of next year. The vultures will be circling and, with Eade ready to take over, it makes the job of punting Voss even easier.

I agree with everything you have said about Eade. He would be an asset in many ways. But he's a senior coach through and through. While he still has strong senior coaching aspirations, I don't think he fits as a senior assistant at a club where the senior coach has got 12-24 months only to prove himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ayres, either as an assistant or coaching director. Need some experiance and he has plenty of it especially being fairly successful as a coach himself at the highest level

Gary Ayres, either as an assistant or coaching director. Need some experiance and he has plenty of it especially being fairly successful as a coach himself at the highest level
Pretty polarising figure on here. I am supportive but others aren't.

I think there's a lot of negativity that he left two clubs at the bottom of the development cycle. There is a perception that he rode on the back of Blight's work at Geelong and didn't reinvigorate the list at Adelaide. His time at Essendon was hardly auspicious too.

From memory Ayres was fairly critical of the initial appointment of Voss as coach and said the club would be better served by someone like himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Assistant Coaches - wanted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back