Aussies Abroad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read an interesting thread on Jess Van Strattan who is on loan at Juve. Supposably told his club Verona that he wanted to terminate his contract and move back to Australia which was done and he then signed with Juve. Once Verona found this out they took out legal action or something and got him back, and then loaned him out to Juve.

He is 3rd string there, he'd just be stoked to be training with those players though i'd suspect.

http://www.juventuz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22288

Weirdness.

Juve was actually his original club in Italy when he signed for them following his stellar 1999 U17 World Cup. He was then loaned out to Verona for years at a time before making the move permanent.

Now he's gone the other way.

According to TWG, Mile Sterjovski has signed with Genclerbirligi OFTAS. This is effectively the Genclerbirligi reserves, who were promoted to the top flight last season and recently beat the senior Genclerbirligi team (containing Nick Carle) 2-1! Weird.

Sydney Morning Herald said:
HERE

A CURSE has struck the Socceroos, with many of the Asian Cup squad either unwanted, injured or out of favour with their clubs.

As the transfer window slowly swings shut, Mark Bresciano is resigned to the collapse of his move to Premier League table-toppers Manchester City.

The deal, which would have resulted in Bresciano quitting Serie A in a $12 million move, fell through earlier this month after Palermo demanded immediate payment of the transfer fee. Attempts to revive the deal have been deflating.

Lucas Neill's season start was delayed by a knee injury picked up in training. He only came into contention for West Ham this weekend.

After missing almost all of last season following extensive surgery and rehabilitation, Harry Kewell has suffered further frustration, injuring his thigh in training.

Similarly, Tim Cahill reinjured his broken foot after falling awkwardly during a pre-season friendly between Everton and German side Werder Bremen and is unlikely to be back in full training before the end of September, according to sources at his club.

Josip Skoko is hoping Australia's upcoming friendly with Argentina in his hometown, Melbourne, on September 11 will be his international send-off, but he has yet to break into Wigan Athletic's first-team squad under new manager Chris Hutchings.

Skoko can at least claim the No.24 shirt at Wigan as his own, which is something aspiring Socceroo Ahmad Elrich is struggling to do.

Elrich is in the final year of his three-year deal at Premier League club Fulham, but has not been issued a squad number for this season.

He had high expectations after an excellent performance at the 2004 Olympics but has struggled since seriously injuring his knee in last September's ill-fated 2-0 Asian Cup qualifier loss to Kuwait - a now vivid premonition of what was to transpire over the following year.

Of further concern are the immediate club futures of World Cup stars John Aloisi and Mile Sterjovski.

Sterjovski was released by Swiss club Basel at the end of last season and has yet to find a new club.

Aloisi's World Cup qualifying penalty in 2005 may have made him a household name in Australia, but that was not enough for Sydney to agree terms after his contract expired with Spanish second division side Alaves.

A move to a Scandinavian club similarly fell through for Aloisi, but both players can take some hope that as free agents they're not affected by the August 31 deadline for transfers.

If, that is, they can find an employer.

The individual problems dogging much of the Germany 2006 squad demonstrate that the Asian Cup fiasco may not have been the fluke performance it was made out to be by some Football Federation Australia officials. Bresciano can count himself as one of the more fortunate players involved with the national team - he is fit and wanted by both a Serie A and English Premier League club.

But instead of playing a key role in Sven-Goran Eriksson's City revival, Bresciano is sweating out double training sessions under a 40-degree Sicilian sun.

"I'm finding it hard at the moment," Bresciano said. "I don't think Palermo is going to let me go. I'm now aiming for January but we have to wait and see. Mentally, I was already in Manchester. I was training with them and I was already looking for a new house. Then I had to suddenly go back to Sicily.

"Palermo are saying they will release me [when the transfer window reopens] in January but what if no one wants me then? They want me now. Things can happen in six months. I hope there's still interest."

The move is also frustrated by the shifting position of Palermo's bosses over the transfer. The club was initially reluctant to sanction Bresciano's move, then finally agreed, only to pull out of the deal. Even with Manchester City now agreeing to Palermo's payment demands, the club refuses to discuss the situation.

"The amount of money was agreed but there were difficulties over how it was going to be paid," Bresciano said. "Now they don't want to even talk about it. Manchester City said they would agree to whatever Palermo want to do but Palermo have said no."

While Palermo executives appear keen to keep the Australian in Sicily, Bresciano is unsure of what plans new coach Stefano Colantuono has for him.

The 27-year-old scored after coming on as an 11th-minute substitute in a friendly last week, but later admitted he did not think he would play any part in the game.

"Mentally, I'm turned off," he said of the upcoming season. "I'm still pushing as hard as I can [for a move] but it's a very delicate situation."

Can't believe johnny can't get a gig with Alaves he has led their scoring for a couple of seasons, but his profile no longer exists on their website :(

Josip Skoko made his first appearance of the season starting for Wigan in their shock 0-1 Carling Cup loss to Hull City. Looking at match reports it seems as though he didn't offer much. Richard Garcia didn't feature for Hull.

Lucas Neill provided an assist in West Hams 2-1 win over Bristol City.

McDonald played a full game (benched in ET) and scored for Celtic v Moscow in the ECL. Missed another very good chance as well.

He offers more then Vennegoor of Hesselin imo. However his first touch lets him down at times, and needs to work on this.

Would have thought the A-League would make it rarer for players to be playing in ordinary European leagues, if you're not in the top 5 or 6 leagues or so, you may as well be playing A-League, or so people are saying (Mark Schwarzer said something like that IIRC). If this is true, why is there such a large number playing in 2nd rate leagues in Europe and would this number have reduced much since the A-League has started?

Would have thought the A-League would make it rarer for players to be playing in ordinary European leagues, if you're not in the top 5 or 6 leagues or so, you may as well be playing A-League, or so people are saying (Mark Schwarzer said something like that IIRC). If this is true, why is there such a large number playing in 2nd rate leagues in Europe and would this number have reduced much since the A-League has started?

You've still got to be good enough to offered an A-League contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've still got to be good enough to offered an A-League contract.

Yep. That and they're chasing the dream.

Scott McDonald is the obvious example of how you can claw your way back despite constant rejections - canned by your lot, then dumped by Wimbledon/MK Dons, up north to Motherwell and a big move to Celtic.

On the flipside, the door is open for guys to do a David Carney, provided they're actually good enough.

From rejection by a poor Everton to clogging around with Hamilton Accies to coming home with Sydney FC to Socceroo duty and a big move to Sheffield United.

Yep. That and they're chasing the dream.

Scott McDonald is the obvious example of how you can claw your way back despite constant rejections - canned by your lot, then dumped by Wimbledon/MK Dons, up north to Motherwell and a big move to Celtic.

On the flipside, the door is open for guys to do a David Carney, provided they're actually good enough.

From rejection by a poor Everton to clogging around with Hamilton Accies to coming home with Sydney FC to Socceroo duty and a big move to Sheffield United.

Don't remind me about Scott McDonald. :(

According to some of our supporters he had a bad attitude and thought he was better than he really was. The interesting thing about him being at Celtic now was that there were stories that he and Strachan just didn't get on. It's a testament to how hard he has worked for Strachan to bring him to Celtic.

Weekend Roundup

Holland 1st division

Eddy Bosnar was substituted in the 79th minute as SC Heracles Almelo lost 0-1 to Ajax Amsterdam.

Brett Holman had 2 shots saved and played a full game as NEC Nijmegen lost 0-1 to NAC Breda.

Jason Culina didn't get a gig, even on the pine as PSV won 1-0 to Vitesse Arnhem.

Luke Wilkshire was taken off after 5 minutes (injured??) as Twente beat Willem II 3-1.

Other leagues to come when i get the chance

Turkey

Nicky Carle started and was taken off in the 50th minute as Genclerbirligi lost 0-2 to Manisaspor.

Mile Sterjovski started on the pine and was brought on in the 46th minute as Genclerbirligi OFTAS lost 0-1 to Sivasspor, whom Michael Petkovic kept a clean sheet for.

Italy

Battle of the best friends as Marco Bresciano's Palermo played Vince Grella's Torino. The match ended as a 1-1 draw with Bresciano and Grella coming off the bench in the 27th and 43rd minutes respectively.

Zeljko Kalac spent the entire game on the bench as AC Milan drew 1-1 with Siena.

Denmark

Nathan Coe kept a clean sheet as FC Copenhagen beat AC Horsens 1-0. Good to see we have an up and coming keeper playing first team at a big club. Does anyone know if they made the group stages of the CL?

David Williams didn't make the Brondby squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies Abroad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back