Aussies Abroad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on, some type of leg injury. There is a article on the 442 website regarding Milligan going overseas after this season. I can't access it at work but would someone mind posting it here?

Harry did some nice things, its probably as good a game as he's had since Uruguay in 05. He doesnt have the same sort of flair, trickery, or pace, but he's still got a bit of class when he's on the ball.

Beat a defender a couple of times, couple of great assists, looked fit, passing and workrate was good.

Dont think he's going to ever be the Leeds Harry Kewell again, but at his best he's still probably our best player.

Chris Herd joins Port Vale

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/index.php?pid=st&cid=103548

Port Vale manager Lee Sinnott has signed teenager Chris Herd on loan from Premier League side Aston Villa.

The Australian midfielder is out of contract at Villa Park at the end of the season and joins the Valiants hoping to gain experience in League football.

He told the club's official website: "I first heard about Vale's interest on Tuesday and jumped at the chance of coming to Vale Park."

Sinnott added: "Obviously I am delighted Chris has agreed to come to the club. He can play across the midfield, at right back and I am sure he will be able to do a job for us."

Hope he earns some valuable match time!:thumbsu:

and, Sterjovski perhaps heading to Derby?

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/index.php?pid=st&cid=103536

Mile Sterjovski appears set to become the latest Socceroo in the Premier League with a move to bottom side Derby County in the pipeline.

The 28-year-old Genclerbirligi OFTAS attacker's family has been unable to settle in Turkey - after he joined the club in a three-year deal from Swiss side FC Basel.

Sterjovski could be Pride Park's newest recruit as it attempts to stave off relegation.

Derby has been busy in the January transfer window signing Laurent Robert, Robbie Savage, Emanuel Villa and Danny Mills (on loan) while it is also in talks with Tottenham's Hossam Ghaly.

Sterjovski's exit from Turkey would follow hot on the heels of fellow Socceroo Nicky Carle's move to Championship highflyer Britol City from Genclerbirligi.

Good to see another one in the Premier League:thumbsu:

Hopefully Herd does get some regular game time at Pt Vale, he should I mean theyre bottom of League One. I hope he isnt another one of the young lads who is lost in the lower leagues of English football, still plenty of good years ahead of him though.

As for Sterjovski...... I hope he likes the idea of CCC football because thats where he'll be next season, swapping places with Nicky Carle perhaps ?? That said, he should get some good game time with the Rams which can only do his NT aspirations good and if his family are settled then perhaps he can concentrate more on his football.

As for Sterjovski...... I hope he likes the idea of CCC football because thats where he'll be next season, swapping places with Nicky Carle perhaps ?? That said, he should get some good game time with the Rams which can only do his NT aspirations good and if his family are settled then perhaps he can concentrate more on his football.

Even though the Rams will get relegated, if he happens to shine for them he will be putting his hand up to other Prem teams!

As I've said before, why why why do Aussies go to Turkey?

Carle and Sterjovski both with nightmare experiences and prior to that it was Con Blatsis - who needed FIFA to successfully intervene on his behalf to a) get months of outstanding pay cleared and b) his contract cancelled.

From memory only Skoko has managed to prosper there as well as a couple of lads with Turkish heritage - Ufuk Talay, Tansel Baser.

It's always a questionable move standard-wise and the cultural differences would be some of the widest in Europe.

Socceroos striker Josh Kennedy is leaving Nurnberg for Bundesliga rival Karlsruhe.

Kennedy signed for Nurnberg in 2006, but tore his Achilles tendon in training and sat out 14 months. He could not secure a place in the starting line-up after returning.

Nurnberg general manager Martin Bader said Kennedy had signed a two-and-a-half year contract with Karlsruhe.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/index.php?pid=st&cid=103726

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I've said before, why why why do Aussies go to Turkey?

Carle and Sterjovski both with nightmare experiences and prior to that it was Con Blatsis - who needed FIFA to successfully intervene on his behalf to a) get months of outstanding pay cleared and b) his contract cancelled.

From memory only Skoko has managed to prosper there as well as a couple of lads with Turkish heritage - Ufuk Talay, Tansel Baser.

It's always a questionable move standard-wise and the cultural differences would be some of the widest in Europe.
What about Michael Petkovic?

Socceroos striker Josh Kennedy is leaving Nurnberg for Bundesliga rival Karlsruhe.

Kennedy signed for Nurnberg in 2006, but tore his Achilles tendon in training and sat out 14 months. He could not secure a place in the starting line-up after returning.

Nurnberg general manager Martin Bader said Kennedy had signed a two-and-a-half year contract with Karlsruhe.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/index.php?pid=st&cid=103726
Always going to happen with Jan Kohler going there. Karlsruhe are currently 6th, so at least Kennedy knows they'll stay up. Might have to do a bit of work to break into the team though.

Let's hope so, he is a very good player.

James Troisi made the bench on the weekend against Bolton.

Lots of talk about him going off to Roda JC in this transfer window though on a six-month loan

I was praying for Keegan to give him a run.

Wouldnt be a bad move for James as long as he got some decent first team football which he hasnt been getting. The guy has the talent to make a big impression in the EPL but he needs time.

Nice or Sterjovski. He was the biggest omission from the 39 man squad imo. Viduka and Chipperfield have been airy fairy bout committing to the national team, while Sterjovski at 28 is still a lot better than the likes of Thwaite/Holman/J.Burns.

Fringe Socceroos defender Michael Thwaite has completed a switch from Polish hotshots Wisla Krakow to Norwegian champions Brann Bergen - a move he hopes will give his international prospects a turbo-boost.

After failing to nail down a regular starting slot in a Wisla side sprinkled with Polish internationals, the kid from Cairns arrives in Australia Thursday buoyed by a new beginning at a club that has been chasing him since his memorable Soccceroos debut in the 5-0 rout of Jamaica back in 2005.

Coach Mons Ivor Mjelde has captured Thwaite on a two-and-half-year deal with the clubs agreeing a transfer fee believed to be $500,000.

With just five caps since his maiden Socceroos appearance - most recently against Uruguay and Singapore last year - Thwaite is relishing his switch to the land of the Vikings - and the chance to impress Australian coach Pim Verbeek, starting with two Socceroos training sessions as soon as he hops off the plane in Melbourne.

“I want to be a part of Asutralia’s World Cup qualification campaign and if you’re not playing regular first team football for your club, then it’s difficult,” explained Thwaite, who was a part of Guus Hiddink’s squad for the two epic qualification duels with Uruguay back in November 2005.

“In fairness to Wisla, they didn’t want me to go and were happy for me to complete the remaining three-and-a half years of my five-year contract but I was becoming a little frustrated and this was a chance to good to turn down.”

Brann, who broke a 44-year title hoodoo last season, are Norway’s best supported club with average gates hovering at 18,000 in their boutique stadium.

“They have a population of 250,000 there, a bit like my home town of Cairns and they are really passionate about their football,” Thwaite added.

The elegant centre-back’s career stalled for over a year prior to his move to Poland after Romanian outfit National Bucharest refused to let him leave - or play, or even train, with the first team squad - after he refused to sign a new contract.

“Those days were unpleasant but that’s the past and now I can see only good things,’’ added Thwaite, whose involvement in Australia’s Asian Cup squad robbed him of game time at Wisla where he only started 11 games this season.

But the pendulum has swung quickly with the vagaries of the UEFA Cup round of 32 draw pitting Thwaite’s Brann against Tim Cahill’s Everton on February 11, with the return at Goodison Park seven days later.

“It’s a big chance to play on a great football stage and facing Tim will be an added bonus,’’ Thwaite enthused.

“Stopping him scoring will be a big challenge in itself. He’s been magic this season and Everton are on the verge of qualifying for the Champions League.”

The Norwegian league starts on March 30, running through until November and Thwaite also has a UEFA Champions League qualification bid to look forward to.

“I'm not getting ahead of myself. My main priority is to train well in the build up to the Qatar game and hopefully show Pim Verbeek what I am capable of. Then I will concentrate on what lies ahead at club level,” he insisted.

“I think under Verbeek every player is on a level playing field, so it’s up to me to make the most of it and prove to him I can do a good job.”

Thwaite is convinced he might be the first of many Australians heading to Europe’s freezing far north.

“Our coach is very interested in Australian talent and our football culture – I think he’s looking to bring more Aussies in. Hopefully I’ll do well and he won’t change his mind!”

Adelaide Star Burns Leaves For Norway Trial

Adelaide United FC and Qantas Under 23’s striker Nathan Burns has been invited for a 10 day trial with Norwegian Champions SK BRANN. Burns flew out of Adelaide late this afternoon bound for Norway looking to impress the Norwegian club.

Burns will return in 10 days to join the AUFC squad for training, with Match Day 1 in the AFC Champions League match against Korean Champions Pohang Steelers on March 12 in Korea.

Regardless of the outcome overseas, Burns will be a part of Adelaide United for the AFC Champions League which concludes on the 21st May against Chinese Champions Changchun Yatai in China.

If Burns is able to secure a contract overseas that he is happy with then the club will not stand in his way.

Burns stormed onto the scene in his debut Hyundai A-League season after signing for United as an 18 year old prior to the 2006/07 season, finishing as United’s equal top goal scorer and becoming one of the league’s leading strikers.

Would prefer if Burns stayed in the A-League to get the attention of the big 4-5 European leagues, rather than Norway, but best of luck to him.

I thought that at first too but Brann are a good side and they will play Champions League next year so its a way for him to put himself in the shop window. Of course if he has a good ACL and Olympics then bigger clubs could come calling. Good luck to the guy anyway, he isnt long for our shores and he will be a big loss for AUFC and the A League in general.

From memory Burns doesn't have the option of obtaining an EU passport (Parents and all four G-parents are Aussie), so somewhere like Holland would be the go unless he is prepared to try his luck with a UK work permit tribunal - or do a Foxey and marry a French broad.

It really is ridiculous the whole EU thing.

We have less employment rights in the UK than Germans do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies Abroad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back