Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't be a fool. He clearly found white pants with a zip on them for that exact reason and it was the second time he was sanctioned about it.
/facetiousness

What of the distinction between the du Plessis case (where the captain did not admit to assembled media a conspiracy with the vice-captain and du Plessis to tamper with the ball and the relatively light sanction was imposed by the ICC) and the present case (where the captain admitted to assembled media a conspiracy with the vice-captain and Bancroft to tamper with the ball and the relatively heavy sanction was imposed by the offending nation's cricket board)?

Lehmann is scrambling to keep his job. Apparently now he believes that New Zealand play in the right spirit and are examples of how we should now play.

He has been so instrumental in implementing this culture and openly arrogant about how its the 'Australian' way we play cricket. He is the big reason that we are in the position we are currently in. Time for him to step away graciously and someone new needs to come in. Can't see our culture changing for the better while Lehmann is still at the helm. He has created too much damage

/facetiousness

What of the distinction between the du Plessis case (where the captain did not admit to assembled media a conspiracy with the vice-captain and du Plessis to tamper with the ball and the relatively light sanction was imposed by the ICC) and the present case (where the captain admitted to assembled media a conspiracy with the vice-captain and Bancroft to tamper with the ball and the relatively heavy sanction was imposed by the offending nation's cricket board)?

The only difference appears to be of one side wanting to do some carpet sweeping and another taking responsibility

I've been doing more thinking.

While this annoys me greatly, if you absolutely have to take the whims of commercial sponsors and a largely ignorant public over actual legal precedent (not to mention fitting the punishment to the actual crime), I would have 6 months for Bancroft and 8 months for Smith. These are reasonable bans without risking the side's ability to compete against a very competent Indian side and thus squander ratings/crowd attendances/revenue.

Moreover, that sort of ban is still far beyond anything that has occurred for ball tampering and would therefore satisfy many of the side's sponsors and critics.

I haven't mentioned Warner because he's irrelevant. He's not playing Tests again. Probably not international cricket either.

5 million dollar fine for Smith + Warner, 2 million for Bancroft.. plus a ban from all international cricket until our next test series would've been a far better punishment, 12 month bans will completely ruin the team for a long time.
In what world does Bancroft have anywhere near 2 million dollars? Players would sooner retire than pay that fine.

Every other cricket nation would deny deny deny..
Then they would call in the lawyers to fight the ICC's 1 game ban

In australia we ban our captains for 12 months each

save us from your laughable moral grandstanding thanks

Try and think about if this exact situation happened to Kohli and the Indian cricket team. No way in hell you'd get the same emphatic response. There would be a lot of rug sweeping and denial.

It's nice as an Aussie to know we do not tolerate this. We'll cop it from other teams in the future, but the bottom line is we had the guts to draw a line that no other nation did for incidents of cheating.

It's amazing how disliked Warner is. Also love the perception these guys will walk back into the test side once ban is served, that ain't happening. Sutherland didn't issue the penalties the board did
Given the reaction of the major sponsors, it hardly seems unreasonable that they came down hard.

I'm shocked by the length, but I'm also pretty indifferent to the penatly imposed.

Don't follow the cricket but man is this blown way out of porption or what? it's a bit of tape with some sand on it big **** like it was going to do anything to the ball anyway.
I'd say you're missing the point. It isn't the act per se but the way it was carried out, with great malice of forethought. In Warner's case, luring a junior teammate into deliberate cheating should also be condemned.

They've fallen well short of the standards expected of people who represent our country.

Alright, less for Bancroft. Point still stands though, i think smashing them in their wallets is a better move than smashing their ability to play the game.
You can't just fine a player for millions of dollars in life savings, mate. That suggestion is built purely on emotion. Ludicrous.

Anyway, they've lost all of their endorsements, sponsorships and contracts. What more do you want, a literal public stoning?

Atherton was guilty of ball tampering in 94'—fined.
Trescothick used mints in 05 (it's called ball tampering)—wasn't caught, still dines out on it.
Fap du Flessis is twice guilty of ball tampering—fined.

Smith, Bancroft, and Warner are guilty of ball tampering—12 month ban.

That's clearly disproportionate.

I could care less about Warner—he's a douche. I'd also like to see 'Boof' go. It says a lot that he gave the vice captaincy to Warner. Why give a leadership role to a guy who blows his fuse so easily.

Obviously, Smith's leadership was crap in this instance and he shouldn't captain again. I think 3 months would be fair, and even that would be the biggest ban given for ball tampering. But 12 months is over the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atherton was guilty of ball tampering in 94'—fined.
Trescothick used mints in 05 (it's called ball tampering)—wasn't caught, still dines out on it.
Fap du Flessis is twice guilty of ball tampering—fined.

Smith, Bancroft, and Warner are guilty of ball tampering—12 month ban.

You have to distinguish though between the ICC sanctions (which in most of the well known ball tampering cases have been pretty consistent) and the relevant national board sanctions (which to date have not).

Still thinking about this. If smith had scratched it on his zip, thrown it to warner who picked the seam and given it Bancroft who rubbed mints on it there would have been no bans and no one would have cared about it.

If Bancroft had said he had some tape is his pocket and he thought **** it I'll try gain something here there would have been no punishments. This has all come back to smith trying to do the honorable thing

You can't just fine a player for millions of dollars in life savings, mate. That suggestion is built purely on emotion. Ludicrous.

Anyway, they've lost all of their endorsements, sponsorships and contracts. What more do you want, a literal public stoning?

Smith and Warner make that in a year, it's not life savings.

Both of them have 6-7 luxury properties each.

Still thinking about this. If smith had scratched it on his zip, thrown it to warner who picked the seam and given it Bancroft who rubbed mints on it there would have been no bans and no one would have cared about it.

If Bancroft had said he had some tape is his pocket and he thought **** it I'll try gain something here there would have been no punishments. This has all come back to smith trying to do the honorable thing

I don't think Smith has done the honourable thing. He's the captain of the team, so he shouldn't have entertained the idea, shouldn't have let a young player do it, and shouldn't have lied about it in the presser (it was sandpaper, not tape). He's really ****ed up.

But even so, a 12 month ban is excessive IMO.

5 million dollar fine for Smith + Warner, 2 million for Bancroft.. plus a ban from all international cricket until our next test series would've been a far better punishment, 12 month bans will completely ruin the team for a long time.

5 million? 2 million? You are a peanut. If smith doesn't get picked in the IPL again you would leave him bankrupt. Same with Warner and don't even get me started on Bancroft. They get $14k per test match. Bancroft will literally never make the money back. Don't comment if you have no understanding

I don't think Smith has done the honourable thing. He's the captain of the team, so he shouldn't have entertained the idea, shouldn't have let a young player do it, and shouldn't have lied about it in the presser (it was sandpaper, not tape). He's really ****** up.

But even so, a 12 month ban is excessive IMO.

I'm talking post getting caught mate. No other countries cricketers would have fronted up that's a fact. The south African captain not only denied it but reoffended a second time

5 million? 2 million? You are a peanut. If smith doesn't get picked in the IPL again you would leave him bankrupt. Same with Warner and don't even get me started on Bancroft. They get $14k per test match. Bancroft will literally never make the money back. Don't comment if you have no understanding

Smith made over 4 million just from CA contract + IPL in 2017... that's not including huge endorsement deals plus other revenue streams.

To suggest he can't afford to pay 5 million dollars in fines is extremely stupid.

Smith made over 4 million just from CA contract + IPL in 2017... that's not including huge endorsement deals plus other revenue streams.

To suggest he can't afford to pay 5 million dollars in fines is extremely stupid.

They estimate his total net worth at 14m. You wanna take over 33% of his entire networth and you can bloody guarantee he will never earn anywhere near that kinda money again now. 5 million. You are a dickhead

Du Plessis was charged with ball tampering and pleaded not guilty. He was fined his match fee so any were between $5k-15k and was given NO punishment from his board

So you want smith's punishment to be 1000 times more heavy for the same crime.

You couldn't be any more wrong with you terrible suggestion.

Du Plessis was charged with ball tampering and pleaded not guilty. He was fined his match fee so any were between $5k-15k and was given NO punishment from his board.
So what? Should we base our punishments on how other countries handle similar incidents? Not at all.

I’m proud harsh penalties have been dished out for completely unacceptable behaviour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back