Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously no brains 30 cameras around the ground all high def.

What do they do?

Hey lets take some yellow sand paper and scruff the ball up.

Even the kids I coach wouldn't be that stupid.

Yorkshireman are more prone to this than anybody. I remember my uncle visiting us in 1990 and we were talking about the 1989 Ashes. I was saying how good Mark Taylor had been. My uncle said and was serious, "Wouldn't get a game for Yorkshire, he's over rated" :)
F.S. Trueman said the only time he saw his father cry was when he was capped by Yorkshire and he buried him with the cap.

Warner's head obviously in a bad place to have instigated such a thing.

One thing's for sure.... Warner and his lovely family have been savagely disrespected throughout this series. Some of the South African spectators are beyond disrespectful campaigners!
If Warner wasn't such a campaigner nobody in SA would have known he had a family. He picked the fight. Warner is not a victim in any of this.

Would’ve been happy if both Warner and Lehmann were tossed out, two yobbo dickheads who have dragged Aussie crickets name through mud for a while now.

Don’t think what Smith did was any worse than what Atherton and Faf did, more naive and being guilty of poor leadership.

I can't see Warner playing for Australia again, and Lehmann is leaving after next years Ashes series.

The story that this is a completely isolated incident by players and no one else should bear any responsibility for the conditions which led to such actions.
as poor a leader as Steve Smith is i find it impossible to believe that he would allow Warner to walk all over him like that.
its also hard to believe that Bancroft would risk his reputation and career on the say so of Warner, who apparently has little to no respect in the dressing room.

it just doesnt add up.

Don’t know if it has already been said or discussed as I haven’t read every post yet but I think someone is taking a bullet for Lehmann.

Why does anyone need take a bullet for him?

The combination of grooming Langer, Ponting and a bad team culture apparently is enough to hang him. It is clearly possibel he was blindisided as much as a fe wothers.

Why arent peoiple calling for the entire teams heads considering they were much closer than Lehmann.

FYI, cant stand the bloke

It is so terrifying that people who support these suspensions are allowed to vote.

Every time you transgress the rules you have "cheated". And most of the time you have done it with some level of pre-meditation.

Every sport in the world has different levels of how bad a form of cheating a particular action is.

Drug cheats are - rightly or wrongly - considered the worst along with match fixers.

Divers tend to be considered much lesser cheats. And there are a whole pile of transgressions in every sport that are - rightly or wrongly - considered better or worse than each other. Head high tacklers, trippers, head duckers, time wasters, players who run over the mark in AFL , etc etc.

In cricket, ball tampering is considered moderately serious. It might get you a ban for a game but it certainly doesn't get you 4 years like drug cheating. If you don't think that is a fair punishment then you should lobby to have the rule/punishment changed for *all* people not just Australians in this instance.

People who say "but they deliberately did it" are of course completely ignorant. If you change the condition of the ball by pure accident then you won't get punished for it *at all*. If you did it deliberately then you will. The 4 demerit points doesn't magically become 100 demerit points because you did it deliberately. If it was accidental then it would be zero demerit points not the other way around. The fact that more than one person is at fault means that it is right that more than one person gets the 4 demerit points but it doesn't for a second mean that everybody should get 100 demerit points. And I have no idea why the sandpaper has anything to do with anything. The players were trying to get the ball changed rather than to make it swing, so what they were trying to use to wreck the ball enough to do that is irrelevant. If they had taken a jackhammer to it, nothing would change.

This situation has set a precedent that the CA can, at a whim, slap a 12 month penalty on any player if a bunch of social media misfits get hysterical about them transgressing any law at all.

All intelligent people will know that the next time one of our players doesn't walk when the other team has run out of reviews, then the media will be asking why he didn't get slapped with a one year ban for cheating the way Smith and Warner have.

All intelligent people will know that this sets a horrible precedent for players to never front any press conference without a team of lawyers on standby.

And all intelligent people will know that no captain will *ever* support their players ever again - they will just throw them under the bus knowing that if they take any sort of responsibility they will get everything the other player gets and more - much more in fact because social media misfits will say there was collusion stemming from the Pope on down.
Wow
Nice rant

....All intelligent people will know that the next time one of our players doesn't walk when the other team has run out of reviews, then the media will be asking why he didn't get slapped with a one year ban for cheating the way Smith and Warner have...

As a self proclaimed intelligent person that's a bit of a reach and poor correlation to make to the current situation.

Also a captain will continue to support his players, he just probably shouldn't be complicit in the act, lie about it and act as though other tampering incidents are the same as this one with the same contextual issues surrounding it.

I agree with some of your other sentiments and that CA has lost a lot of its integrity by pandering to public opinion which is always fraught with danger.

At the end of the day though, if you play the right way there's no possible way that anything can be interpreted in a way that's unfair or unjust and that's the lesson for the players.

Does he actually play though, given that Handscomb is already over there.
It may seem he's behind Handscomb

But Handscomb is so terribly out of touch, without confidence, I would play Maxwell.

Anyway Maxwell has a great chance over the next year without Smith in there.

I can't see Warner playing for Australia again, and Lehmann is leaving after next years Ashes series.

I don’t think Lehmann deserves to be HC for both the World Cup and Ashes series.

as poor a leader as Steve Smith is i find it impossible to believe that he would allow Warner to walk all over him like that.
its also hard to believe that Bancroft would risk his reputation and career on the say so of Warner, who apparently has little to no respect in the dressing room.

it just doesnt add up.
I think none of them foresaw that this would explode in their faces, probably saw it as a very minor thing to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The punishment that they have received is way over the top and CA has just bowed to the ridiculous over-reaction of the media. It's a total knee jerk reaction to appease this bloodlust some people seem to have.

6 month bans were appropriate at the most.

This will have no effect on teams from the rest of the world. If anything it will just vindicate in their minds that our players are the biggest cheats of them all.

I'm feeling for Smith and Bancroft in particular. I think the public humiliation is the worst punishment of all. I hope that they are mentally ok.

Well they shouldn't of have tampered with the ball then. Simple really. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing either; it was premeditated.

I don't feel anything for them. They knew that cricket is ingrained into our culture. What did they expect was gonna happen? A slap on the wrist? Nah. The response was exactly what it should have been from both CA and the public. They have disgraced a great cricketing nation.

Now they get to ponder what a stupid mistake it was.

I doubt smith will ever be forgiven. The fabric of cricket in Australia has been stained forever.

It is so terrifying that people who support these suspensions are allowed to vote.

Every time you transgress the rules you have "cheated". And most of the time you have done it with some level of pre-meditation.

Every sport in the world has different levels of how bad a form of cheating a particular action is.

Drug cheats are - rightly or wrongly - considered the worst along with match fixers.

Divers tend to be considered much lesser cheats. And there are a whole pile of transgressions in every sport that are - rightly or wrongly - considered better or worse than each other. Head high tacklers, trippers, head duckers, time wasters, players who run over the mark in AFL , etc etc.

In cricket, ball tampering is considered moderately serious. It might get you a ban for a game but it certainly doesn't get you 4 years like drug cheating. If you don't think that is a fair punishment then you should lobby to have the rule/punishment changed for *all* people not just Australians in this instance.

People who say "but they deliberately did it" are of course completely ignorant. If you change the condition of the ball by pure accident then you won't get punished for it *at all*. If you did it deliberately then you will. The 4 demerit points doesn't magically become 100 demerit points because you did it deliberately. If it was accidental then it would be zero demerit points not the other way around. The fact that more than one person is at fault means that it is right that more than one person gets the 4 demerit points but it doesn't for a second mean that everybody should get 100 demerit points. And I have no idea why the sandpaper has anything to do with anything. The players were trying to get the ball changed rather than to make it swing, so what they were trying to use to wreck the ball enough to do that is irrelevant. If they had taken a jackhammer to it, nothing would change.

This situation has set a precedent that the CA can, at a whim, slap a 12 month penalty on any player if a bunch of social media misfits get hysterical about them transgressing any law at all.

All intelligent people will know that the next time one of our players doesn't walk when the other team has run out of reviews, then the media will be asking why he didn't get slapped with a one year ban for cheating the way Smith and Warner have.

All intelligent people will know that this sets a horrible precedent for players to never front any press conference without a team of lawyers on standby.

And all intelligent people will know that no captain will *ever* support their players ever again - they will just throw them under the bus knowing that if they take any sort of responsibility they will get everything the other player gets and more - much more in fact because social media misfits will say there was collusion stemming from the Pope on down.

^ Liberal Party voter

it just doesnt add up.

I think it was more a vitriolic reaction to the stuff that's been happening in SA. Being angry, resentful and feeling victimised can lead to poor decision making.

Well they shouldn't of have tampered with the ball then. Simple really. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing either; it was premeditated.

I don't feel anything for them. They knew that cricket is ingrained into our culture. What did they expect was gonna happen? A slap on the wrist? Nah. The response was exactly what it should have been from both CA and the public. They have disgraced a great cricketing nation.

Now they get to ponder what a stupid mistake it was.

I doubt smith will ever be forgiven. The fabric of cricket in Australia has been stained forever.
I would say without any doubt in the world that they did not in any shape or form believe for one milli-second that this thing would have gotten this reaction. It's most likely that they, in the heat of the moment out of desperation and pressure, made the decision with no thought of the repercussions at all!

Even if they did, which I doubt, they probably only expected similar punishment to those handed down to others in the past i.e. bugger all!

I think none of them foresaw that this would explode in their faces, probably saw it as a very minor thing to do.
i dont think they foresaw the repercussion but that doesnt account for it.
its clearly a considered plan sanctioned by a greater authority than Dave Warner.

From Lehmann...

I need to change," Lehmann said.

"We need to change how we play and within the boundaries we play. Obviously previously we've butted heads on the line but that's not the way to go about us playing cricket moving forward.”

Best change he could make is to leave.

Warner chucking his mates under a bus when he was the instigator.

I do hope he never plays a game for the baggy green. Sure talented but his professionalism and morals are at the same level as a neanderthal.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair chance he'll never play for Australia again, even for the fact he won't be welcome in the dressing rooms.

i dont think they foresaw the repercussion but that doesnt account for it.
its clearly a considered plan sanctioned by a greater authority than Dave Warner.
Too stupid to be considered, right on Warner's level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back