Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Common sense from Waleed Aly:

"...We might, for instance, become very preoccupied with the fact that the campaigning on social media was awash with all sorts of scurrilous claims and misinformation. No doubt, this is a serious development in democracy, and there are certainly examples of people whose vote was swayed by it. But it’s almost inconceivable that 60 per cent of the country was.

Similarly, many Yes voters might wish to draw a direct line between Peter Dutton’s somewhat bludgeoning opposition, and No voters themselves. But that fails to explain why so many Labor voters – who presumably aren’t Dutton fans – voted No, and why for all his efforts, Dutton’s approval ratings haven’t exactly taken off. And the idea that Australians are simply so hostile to Indigenous people that they rejected the Voice out of some thoughtless, prejudicial reflex is difficult to square with its initial support in the polls, which was around 65 per cent.

...The Voice was always trying to thread this impossible needle. It had to present itself as modest, yet meaningful; to show it had no formal power, but would nonetheless make a practical difference. And it had to convince an electorate that it would achieve greater equality by treating citizens differently. In the end, that proved too complicated a task, the No vote too varied to assail, the referendum process too formidable a beast.

According to the Age, Don Farrell ignores the candidate recommended by the recruitment panel to appoint a former labor mate that hadn't actually applied:

Don Farrell defends ex-colleague’s appointment to plum US post

By James Massola

The opposition has accused Trade Minister Don Farrell of hypocrisy after he appointed his political ally and former senate colleague, Chris Ketter, to an overseas diplomatic and trade post in the United States instead of the public servant nominated as the preferred candidate. Labor MPs closed ranks on Thursday to defend Farrell’s decision to appoint Ketter, but the opposition’s trade spokesman Kevin Hogan compared the appointment of “his mate to a plum US posting over a preferred candidate” to the controversial appointment of former NSW deputy premier John Barilaro as a state trade commissioner.

...His appointment was made over Austrade official Kirstyn Thomson, who had been named as the “preferred candidate” for the job by a three-person recruitment panel according to The Australian, even though the public servant was head of the Americas investment desk within Austrade. Ketter had reportedly not formally applied for the job.

Common sense from Waleed Aly:

"...We might, for instance, become very preoccupied with the fact that the campaigning on social media was awash with all sorts of scurrilous claims and misinformation. No doubt, this is a serious development in democracy, and there are certainly examples of people whose vote was swayed by it. But it’s almost inconceivable that 60 per cent of the country was.

Similarly, many Yes voters might wish to draw a direct line between Peter Dutton’s somewhat bludgeoning opposition, and No voters themselves. But that fails to explain why so many Labor voters – who presumably aren’t Dutton fans – voted No, and why for all his efforts, Dutton’s approval ratings haven’t exactly taken off. And the idea that Australians are simply so hostile to Indigenous people that they rejected the Voice out of some thoughtless, prejudicial reflex is difficult to square with its initial support in the polls, which was around 65 per cent.

...The Voice was always trying to thread this impossible needle. It had to present itself as modest, yet meaningful; to show it had no formal power, but would nonetheless make a practical difference. And it had to convince an electorate that it would achieve greater equality by treating citizens differently. In the end, that proved too complicated a task, the No vote too varied to assail, the referendum process too formidable a beast.

He summed it up perfectly.

I thought this has already been cancelled. The Yanks will be happy.

Australia decides against canceling Chinese company's lease of strategically important port​

The Australian government has decided against canceling a Chinese company’s 99-year lease on strategically important Darwin Port despite U.S. concerns that foreign control could be used to spy on its military

Australia decides against canceling Chinese company's lease of strategically important port

Last edited:

Australia decides against canceling Chinese company's lease of strategically important port​

The Australian government has decided against canceling a Chinese company’s 99-year lease on strategically important Darwin Port despite U.S. concerns that foreign control could be used to spy on its military

Australia decides against canceling Chinese company's lease of strategically important port
You might remember Albanese criticising the sale, rightly in my view. Now that he is in a position to do something about it, as usual, not much happens.

I'm a touch confused, why would we want a Royal Commission based on race/culture

Should it not just be on sexual abuse in Australia? We are all one people aren't we?

Glad you've come around.

You've spent the last 12 months arguing we are not all one people and that one group of Australians should be granted an advantage not afforded to other Australians.

So the answer is YES, we are are all Australians, doesn't matter what your heritage is, we should be treated the same.

Glad you've come around.

You've spent the last 12 months arguing we are not all one people and that one group of Australians should be granted an advantage not afforded to other Australians.

So the answer is YES, we are are all Australians, doesn't matter what your heritage is, we should be treated the same.
You missed the irony of who called for the Royal Commission

Infuriating.

I'm a touch confused, why would we want a Royal Commission based on race/culture

Should it not just be on sexual abuse in Australia? We are all one people aren't we?

I think her view is that the most urgent attention should go where the problem is worst. The government's own reporting is that indigenous children "are more likely to be victims of child abuse, neglect and sexual assault":
  • Indigenous children aged 0–17 were nearly 8 times as likely as non-Indigenous children to be the subject of substantiated child abuse or neglect
  • Rates of sexual assault reported to police among Indigenous children aged 0–9 in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia and the Northern Territory were 2 to 4 times higher than rates among non-Indigenous children in these jurisdictions.
  • Hospital admission rates of 13-17 year olds for conditions “indicative” of physical abuse have been reported as 13.5 times greater for Aboriginal than non-Aboriginal girls

Well I agree to an extent. However, I dont see anything wrong with a specific focus. The catholic church had a focused royal commision. They didnt focus on pedo's in every corner of society. Im not sure what the statistics say either on this subject as to its worth as a single issue. But would it do any harm?

To me it just seems strange. Had a referendum which focused on not listening enough so it had to be in the constitution, but the very first test to listen even though it lost the referendum, we didn't do it. To me its just bizarre politics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I agree to an extent. However, I dont see anything wrong with a specific focus. The catholic church had a focused royal commision. They didnt focus on pedo's in every corner of society. Im not sure what the statistics say either on this subject as to its worth as a single issue. But would it do any harm?

To me it just seems strange. Had a referendum which focused on not listening enough so it had to be in the constitution, but the very first test to listen even though it lost the referendum, we didn't do it. To me its just bizarre politics.
Dutton isnt calling for a RC because he cares. This is just a dog whistle

I think the last RC on the topic was on institutional response to sexual abuse, mind you agree, it did end up feeling like a Catholic investigation.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last paragraph though. Are you talking about Dutton and Prices voice or the voice of who Pocock spoke to ?

Dutton isnt calling for a RC because he cares. This is just a dog whistle

I think the last RC on the topic was on institutional response to sexual abuse, mind you agree, it did end up feeling like a Catholic investigation.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last paragraph though. Are you talking about Dutton and Prices voice or the voice of who Pocock spoke to ?

Im just saying its bizarre. The voice was all about putting it into the constitution to achieve greater listening and improvement for indigenous peoples lives. We voted it down, not because we dont want improvement, we just didnt deem it necessary for the constitution. So where did the voice come from then if at these hurdles the government still fails to do anything indigenous people need or want.

Im just saying its bizarre. The voice was all about putting it into the constitution to achieve greater listening and improvement for indigenous peoples lives. We voted it down, not because we dont want improvement, we just didnt deem it necessary for the constitution. So where did the voice come from then if at these hurdles the government still fails to do anything indigenous people need or want.
Understand cheers 👍

Im not frustrated or angry by the governments decision. Its merely confusion mixed with amusement as its not a great look for a government that just tried to put the voice into the constitution.
It feels politicking all round.

Albo will be sucking up to Xi soon so there's that.

More kowtowing to China so he better take Penny, the expert at kowtowing, if he wants better results.
belt_457975969_1000.jpg
360_F_43478384_ldgEhe1lK2CpACBsCyQ1PU5nSAWAaTzB.jpg
back on the menu maybe? If so, Dan Andrews would be happy

t they wish this would go away.

Cancelling the Games might become one of the greatest political miscalculations in recent history​

The disastrous decision-making involved in the Games’ planning raises the question: does this stubborn, proceed at all costs approach operate throughout the rest of government?

The Victorian Auditor General will launch its own investigation.
And if the event goes ahead, with officials hopeful it can remain in Australia, it will virtually coincide with the next state election.
Which means in the immediate lead-up to the vote, Victorians will be reminded of the government’s mismanagement of the failed event.

Weird how it's okay to be anti-China now. A decade ago if you criticized anything to do with China and its impact on residential property prices or buying up farming land you were called a racist. Even a few years ago if you mentioned Covid originated in a Chinese lab you were called a racist. What changed?

Weird how it's okay to be anti-China now. A decade ago if you criticized anything to do with China and its impact on residential property prices or buying up farming land you were called a racist. Even a few years ago if you mentioned Covid originated in a Chinese lab you were called a racist. What changed?
Oh I dunno, maybe just a huge dose of reality served up to the snowflakes.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back