Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

A bizarre question posed in the Age:

"Imagine if it was reversed. Why rugby must not brush racism allegation under carpet

Can white people experience racism? This is the daunting philosophical conundrum with which World Rugby will have to grapple if it decides to investigate Tom Curry’s allegation that he was called a “white c---” by Bongi Mbonambi during England’s narrow loss to South Africa."

Right up there with Whoopi Goldberg who tried to argue that the Holocaust was nothing to do with racism

"Imagine if it was reversed. Why rugby must not brush racism allegation under carpet

Can white people experience racism? This is the daunting philosophical conundrum with which World Rugby will have to grapple if it decides to investigate Tom Curry’s allegation that he was called a “white c---” by Bongi Mbonambi during England’s narrow loss to South Africa."

Right up there with Whoopi Goldberg who tried to argue that the Holocaust was nothing to do with racism
I think a lot of people would instinctively associate racism with some perceived superiority of one race over another. So "black *" is a racist insult, whereas "white *" is an insult, but not a racist insult.

Which is fine and understandable as far as it goes, and that's probably the historical definition, but IMO it needs to be put in to context. In the field of sport, where the thing is "no racism in sport", and everyone is supposed to be in harmony or whatever, IMO it should be about "no insults or abuse directed at someone on the basis of their race / skin colour"; you shouldn't have to show that the insult came from a position of perceived racial superiority for it to be taken seriously.

I think a lot of people would instinctively associate racism with some perceived superiority of one race over another. So "black *" is a racist insult, whereas "white *" is an insult, but not a racist insult.

Which is fine and understandable as far as it goes, and that's probably the historical definition, but IMO it needs to be put in to context. In the field of sport, where the thing is "no racism in sport", and everyone is supposed to be in harmony or whatever, IMO it should be about "no insults or abuse directed at someone on the basis of their race / skin colour"; you shouldn't have to show that the insult came from a position of perceived racial superiority for it to be taken seriously.
I normally agree wholeheartedly with your posts, but I can't agree with your conclusion here.
In particular, while I agree with your first sentence, I think your conclusion in the second is a non-sequitur.

To me, the "black c" and "white c" are exactly the same, both racist insults. That's how they were intended, and how they will be received. In fact, it's probably inherently "racist" to assume that blacks couldn't possibly consider themselves superior to whites and therefore conceive a racist insult! ;)

I normally agree wholeheartedly with your posts, but I can't agree with your conclusion here.
In particular, while I agree with your first sentence, I think your conclusion in the second is a non-sequitur.

To me, the "black c" and "white c" are exactly the same, both racist insults. That's how they were intended, and how they will be received. In fact, it's probably inherently "racist" to assume that blacks couldn't possibly consider themselves superior to whites and therefore conceive a racist insult! ;)
I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't talking about how I think, I was talking about how - IMO - some / a lot of people think. I absolutely agree that racism goes both ways - just that some people struggle with that concept.

The Age reports that Jacinta Allan slams ‘sexualised’ cartoon of her in the nude. Note that the cartoon includes the pixelation. I guess she has a different understanding of "sexualisation" to mine?

49d453c49538d10413415fa7ec03d66af9821660

All this does is highlight that the victimisation of racism exacerbates the effect on the psyche. White people told to laugh about it and move on. Black people told to hold the biggest grudge, they are being oppressed, and are victims of white supremacy and the person who said it should be cancelled. Yet its the same insult 'b.... c....' or 'w.... c....' with the exact same outcome on the receivers lives. Its the person who says it where the difference lies.

Never underestimate the power of being told to be a victim.

"gas the Jews" and then this. WTF is going in Australia. The antisemitism in this country over the last 2 weeks is hard to believe. The lack of outrage is deafening. We've lost our soul.

View attachment 1839789
We need more middle eastern migrants to come here. There will be a seamless assimilation here into our society and they will accept our laws and values, I'm sure.:think:

And what do with the antisemitism from the Left?
Some there need to really have a hard look at themselves. The Greens appear to show the most hate. Some of our press and world press also needs to have a hard look at itself.

Some there need to really have a hard look at themselves. The Greens appear to show the most hate. Some of our press and world press also needs to have a hard look at itself.
It's crazy. Even if you are the most passionate Palestinian supporter surely you show some grace and common sense in the week(2) immediately after we saw the Hamas barbarians hunt down, rape and murder innocent civilians. Unless of course you have been completely radicalized and/or you have some form of mental illness (Greens supporters).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need more middle eastern migrants to come here. There will be a seamless assimilation here into our society and they will accept our laws and values, I'm sure.:think:
Can you elaborate on what you mean our laws and values ? (I'm assuming you don't mean just things like don't speed, I'm also assuming you think it okay to protest)

Perhaps we need to articulate them so people understand?

What do you mean by assimilate? Just worth understanding what we are expecting here.

Edit -
Also, just not to scare anyone away with question of assimilation in Australian ways, as it's an interesting topic.

I believe we should be encouraging any migrant who moves here to have a good proficiency in English, that's not to suggest we get rid of all the things we provide in different languages, but it will help with inclusion and getting the support they need from the services they will also need.

Here is one to consider, Australia only has 1 national language being English.

If we were to have a 2nd (which I think we should) what should it be?

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on what you mean our laws and values ?
I think "not supporting, or advocating for, mass r*pe and murder for fanatical religious reasons" would be a start.
What do you mean by assimilate? Just worth understanding what we are expecting here.
"Assimilate" doesn't mean "drop your culture, change your clothes, change your eating habits" etc. "Learn at least some English" is probably a reasonable ask.

If "assimilate" means "leave your violent, fanatical religious hatreds behind" then yes, I'm an assimilationist.

This must truly be the Lucky and Generous country. Throw in over a $1/4 of a billion the Voice referendum cost. I agree we help Ukraine but let's help our own people first.

‘Utterly crazy’: PM announces more funding to Ukraine​

Liz Storer says Australia’s increasing funding to Ukraine in their fight against Russia is “utterly crazy”
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has announced that Australia’s aid to Ukraine will come up to $910 million.
“Let’s remember this is NATO’s war,” Ms Storer said.
Liz Storer says Australia’s increasing funding to Ukraine in their fight against Russia is “utterly crazy”.

Last edited:
I think "not supporting, or advocating for, mass r*pe and murder for fanatical religious reasons" would be a start.
That's not the norm for middle Eastern people though is it.

"Assimilate" doesn't mean "drop your culture, change your clothes, change your eating habits" etc. "Learn at least some English" is probably a reasonable ask.
That's my point, what is it.

So try to learn English, I agree good start.
If "assimilate" means "leave your violent, fanatical religious hatreds behind" then yes, I'm an assimilationist.
Thats true too, but again these things aren't normal, it doesn't seem to apply to any single country or culture that we can look at and at say quit being violent, fanatics and assimilate!

I think we have the problem here as well, how we address it is anyone's guess. My first point of call would be better education and opportunities for employment

This must truly be the Lucky and Generous country. Throw in over a $1/4 of a billion the Voice referendum cost. I agree we help Ukraine but let's help our own people first.

‘Utterly crazy’: PM announces more funding to Ukraine​

Liz Storer says Australia’s increasing funding to Ukraine in their fight against Russia is “utterly crazy”
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has announced that Australia’s aid to Ukraine will come up to $910 million.
“Let’s remember this is NATO’s war,” Ms Storer said.
Liz Storer says Australia’s increasing funding to Ukraine in their fight against Russia is “utterly crazy”.

Ugh, more reasons to dislike Sky News.

Now pushing Kremlin propaganda.

Edit - and typical RWNJ

Standing with Ukraine is also standing with democracy. What a piece of work

Last edited:
So, you're saying Australia is not spending that much money on it.:eek: its only propaganda. Its not fact.
No, I'm not saying that.

I'm saying it's worth it and people telling you it's not worth it (edit - in the context that person is) are just spreading Kremlin propaganda because the Kremlin want us to stop.

Last edited:
No, it's the whinging about spending money in the defence of democracy which we find bizarre and reprehensible.
No. He literally said Sky News is pushing Kremlin propaganda

"Ugh, more reasons to dislike Sky News.

Now pushing Kremlin propaganda."

Cap modified his post after I posted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back