Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney's Rock n Roll Wrestling have announced a show the Friday night of the AEW show at the Caxton. Good on them for finding a venue over the road from the stadium, and for apparently seeking to put on an event that will work around AEW events.

Tickets for PWL/Renegades aren't exactly flying off the shelves, but the Caxton might attract a different, more casual audience.

7 seats left for Renegades today. So get on down

Did anything happen?

Social media would suggest it was either the dullest event ever, or everyone who went is on a social media lockdown. First show of theirs that I've missed this year.

Renegades was a solid show, a few debuts and a lot of it felt more like story building. I guess the analogy that best describes the show was it felt like the old Fresh/Mikey MCW where they would have Essendon events to build guys up between the big Thornbury shows. MOTN was Aysha vs Caity, silly finish aside. Also Jarvis vs Waterman was very solid and the debuts of Mitch Connors (Isiah from Mayhem Pro) and Matty Romano (a Carlo Cannon trainee who has wrestled in Malaysia) were impressive.

I agree with the assessment of the women’s match - Aysha has always been a good character, but she has improved significantly in the ring over the past 12-18 months.

I was broadly unfamiliar with Famous B beforehand, but I thought the main event title match was good too.

They are like a nugget that just won't flush,

I was literally about to post the same thing.

I really enjoyed their first couple of years when they were ambitious and they were carving out a niche (that included a lot of non-death matches.)

But after the last couple of years I can't even imagine what would have to happen for me to give them another chance. And I suspect that's the case for a lot of people. I'm not sure who they're promoting to any more - even the 40-50 people going to the Mat Earth shows at Preston aren't really supporting DMDU. It's just a free event/free wrestling at a decent brewpub with a good beer selection. And a couple of the Mat Earth shows earlier this year were promoted locally as that - "Mat Earth Society" with no mention of DMDU.

Those same people aren't going down to Seaford or out to Derrimut or wherever the **** their last show was.

Even if they were defrauded by the marky ECW idea why did it take so long for them to pay everyone back? Why was DMDU able to continue to run shows? How was Joel able to go overseas 3-4 times before everyone was paid? How were internationals/interstaters brought out? IF Joel has paid everyone back it was only because people constantly hounded him for it and he became blacklisted over it, I fully believe that his first intention was not to pay anyone back and hope it blew over.

Even away from that situation the stories on him are that he doesn't pay wrestlers unless they are "big names", he lets wrestlers do deathmatches whilst still in their infancy as wrestlers, he doesn't draw, he books for the most part shit talent, the list is endless.

Hope he draws 20 people and goes out of business again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back