Review Autopsy Thread: Round 1 Adelaide v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

It's Got me stuffed how people like this can justify the bs that we served up on sat night. To many accept mediocrity with the footy club. If u seriously think that we are heading for a top 4 finish then u might want to get some help. We threw the game away, looked lazy and dis interested.

It's about time for clarko to grow some balls and drop the likes of renouf (who is a spud) Bateman, Ladson, osbourne etc. I would rather see young blokes make mistakes than so called seasoned campaigners.

Have a go at me, I don't give a crap, because we were 5 goals up and threw threw the game away. Just pissed it down the drain. Gibbo is the only bloke that had a crack, the rest need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Our game plan is still the crap from the last 2 years, has not changed one bit. I don't care way u say about Adele, we were all over them and then just handed the game to them. And to make is worse we had an extra man from the first 5 min of the game. And why the he'll would u sub Sewell for whitecross? So pull ire heads in and stop living in la la land and get real, we e
Were woeful!

God help clarko and the players if we lose next week, cause if u think Jeff is out spoken now, then watch out.

And yes I was at the game could not believe way happened. Cause if that is way we do with a great preseason and a healthy list then ???

Sorry, but enough of the bs excuses.

As usual with this playing group, the majority of them consistently look to the others on the ground to do all the work. When Burgoyne, Mitchell, Sewell, Rioli, Franklin and Roughead weren't on top, the rest of them go to water. I cannot believe the positive comments on Ladson's game....please. He trotted around pretty happy with himself in the first half when others were doing the heavy lifting but when his time and space disappeared so did he. Therein lies the problem with our footy club. When things are going well and the Hodge is smashing into blokes, Mitchell is at the bottom of packs and Franklin is rampaging, guys like Ladson, Birchall, Bateman, Osborne get excited about being big time footballers and start to perk up and run around like they own the joint. Now, when the opposition curtails our "big names" and the pressure comes on, suddenly being a professional athlete loses its appeal and stepping up seems just a bit too hard for them. I'm not asking them to be as good as Hodge, Franklin etc but I do ask that they maintain the same amount of effort whether things are going well or badly. On another matter, some previous posters have suggested that it's un-Hawthorn like to be critical of the performance. I'd suggest that the turnaround of this footy club after years of adversity and failure was the absolute, uncompromising non-acceptance of it. That performance last night (giving up a 5 goal lead in the manner we did) was unacceptable and it should be criticised. To do otherwise meekly accepts our place in the competition is outside the top 4 and "ok" is good enough.

Clarkson excuses - take some accountability for once

Just read on hawthornfc.com.au of clarko again offering same lame excuses...

Lack of defensive pressure?? FFS clarkson.. your game plan is deplorable.

Just finish viewing the bombers v doggies game.. and i can tell you clarkson.. hirdy has transformed the bombers in less than 6 months.

the bombers gameplan looked outstanding... they seem to congest the middle of the ground... always had a spare man in defense and their forwards had alot of space.... if only we made the plan simpler..

our gameplan is embarrassing and the crows change their style and exposed us badly.. they only had to quick one contest out half back and they are off to the races.. kicking to a free man forward of play..

bloody hell.. am frustrated, angry at how deplorable our gameplan is..

dont think i am the first or the last to deem our playing list as one of the best in the comp... yet yet.. we are such a rabble..

last 2 years it was all defense.. this year its all offense and no man behind play.. F**ng ridiculous.. this is not soccer where you play the offside rule..

Clarko.. sit up and take some accountability.. play the full ground, swallow a pill and learn from others.. not bloody try to re-invent the wheel over and over again..

Would welcome your thoughts on the bombers game style... I thought it was outstanding.

Like a lot have said there were some real positives from the game which is why it was so frustrating to lose- posters, umpiring in the first half when we were dominating etc but there are a few things that mystify me that those in the know could you please answer for us-
1. How can an AFL standard player have such a terrible kicking action as Renouf, it is probably the worst l have ever seen- surely the club should have done something about this preseason, why would they send him forward?? when if he marks it he will turn it over from anymore than 10 metres out directly in front, a complete waste
2. For the last few years Osborne has been our best kick for goal, why would he try and pass from 40 metres with the wind in the last quarter?
3. Suckling- l know kicking out and kicking out of defence is critical but we all recognise he is not strong one on one and with defensive pressure, why isnt he being groomed to play attacking wing with an emphasis on being forward of the ball as an outlet to then pass to Buddy, Roughie , anyone. His passing is elite, would set up numerous goals like the pass over 40 meres to roughie in the last.

The above three things mystify me. Any answers???

Sooz is the man I reckon - he'd get slaughtered on the burst but the very dynamics of that rebound ensure the forward wont get a lace out pass, it's long bombs which he is very well equipped to handle.

IMHO I don't see the value of him pushing forward after the bounce - Hale & Rough can take the forward ruck contests.

This would be a terrible idea.

The whole strategy against our attacking 'flood' is to run and carry back through it and then kick it over the top to loose rebounding players streaming forward. They aren't just booting the ball out to a contest.

Renouf is too slow and would get absolutely punished defending against a counter attack.

FWIW I don't see the value of him playing anywhere, except congested grounds such as the SCG where he can just clog up the backline and take defensive marks in non-counter-attack scenarios.

This would be a terrible idea.

The whole strategy against our attacking 'flood' is to run and carry back through it and then kick it over the top to loose rebounding players streaming forward. They aren't just booting the ball out to a contest.

Renouf is too slow and would get absolutely punished defending against a counter attack.

FWIW I don't see the value of him playing anywhere, except congested grounds such as the SCG where he can just clog up the backline and take defensive marks in non-counter-attack scenarios.

Well, that's sort of what I said if you read both my posts.

Putting that big body in the goalsquare would be more value than him cluttering up our forwardline.

And his value would actually decrease on the smaller grounds imo.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

CRAP UMPIRING! SUCKLING AND WHITECROSS back to the VFL........ DISGRACEFUL. Suckling numerious kick ins out on the fool and White Cross does not make a good sub. He just couldnt get into the game and then turned the ball over numerious time when the game was up for the grabs..... Sewell SUB? DUMB ARSE MOVE!

Rubbish on Whitecross. You have not a clue.

Re: Clarkson excuses - take some accountability for once

I refuse to say good things about the Bombers(scums).

Hawthorn can finish last and I will still love them the same, but I agree Clarko needs to wake up and get this side back to it's cocky, arrogant, tough bullies style like they were when every side was scared of us.

Well, that's sort of what I said if you read both my posts.

Putting that big body in the goalsquare would be more value than him cluttering up our forwardline.

And his value would actually decrease on the smaller grounds imo.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

My mistake, for some reason I just totally skimmed over the part about getting slaughtered on the burst. My mind just jumped to seeing Renouf one out attempting to shut down a counter-attack :eek:. Sorry.

Anyway. I agree that currently his only redeeming quality is his ability to mark bombs coming into the back-line when we are already set up defensively. Hale and Roughead should be taking more of the contests forward of the centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the end of the world yet! Adelaide in Adelaide will be shown to be a very tough proposition this year (Tippet back will make it even harder) - emotion with past-players in the room celebrating 20 year anniversary was also a very big factor in this match. Hawthorn weren't disgraced and Buddy missed a few; Bullies supporters are the ones who should be worried.

i thought defensively we were pretty bad... but i liked the moving ball quickly into the forward line.

WE should of won that game... we will be ok... calm down guys

It's Got me stuffed how people like this can justify the bs that we served up on sat night. To many accept mediocrity with the footy club. If u seriously think that we are heading for a top 4 finish then u might want to get some help. We threw the game away, looked lazy and dis interested.

It's about time for clarko to grow some balls and drop the likes of renouf (who is a spud) Bateman, Ladson, osbourne etc. I would rather see young blokes make mistakes than so called seasoned campaigners.

Have a go at me, I don't give a crap, because we were 5 goals up and threw threw the game away. Just pissed it down the drain. Gibbo is the only bloke that had a crack, the rest need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Our game plan is still the crap from the last 2 years, has not changed one bit. I don't care way u say about Adele, we were all over them and then just handed the game to them. And to make is worse we had an extra man from the first 5 min of the game. And why the he'll would u sub Sewell for whitecross? So pull ire heads in and stop living in la la land and get real, we e
Were woeful!

God help clarko and the players if we lose next week, cause if u think Jeff is out spoken now, then watch out.

And yes I was at the game could not believe way happened. Cause if that is way we do with a great preseason and a healthy list then ???

Sorry, but enough of the bs excuses.
So you rate the following as excuses....
We played the crows over there.....
The 20th annv played a massive part to get them right up for this match..
We , like every other club , did'nt have the sub thing sorted.(Sewell sould have stayed on for mine )
We played a team who could possible be a top 6 side by years end ( you can't tell me they wont be cos its the first rd of the year for gods sake ).
We played a club who has been widely regarded as the fittest club for years at the start of season's.
That we had 6 shots that hit the post.
That the crowed was like a 19th man.....lifting there side and swaying 50/50 umpiring decisions.
Tell ya what.....u call them excuses , and ill call them reasons for the lose and at years end ill bump this thread to see where/how it all ended....:thumbsu: Guess it will tell us both wat we know about footy...:thumbsu:

Shattered last night boys...

There's one big positive to take out of it.

Last year when every interstate game we failed to turn up ready to play, and would be 20 points down in the first quarter.

Think Port, Sydney, the Freo final...

If we take that effort and intensity on the road this year, we'll win 3 or 4 of our 5 matches and that's what we need.

I'm confident for each of our next 5 matches: Dees, Tigers, Eagles, Cats and Port in Adelaide.

We must win at least 4 of these next 5 games.

Not one member of this board wasn't MH.

Unfortunately some posters do think the only way to express that is by throwing their toys out of the cot and spraying their spittle on all and sundry.

All i can say is i can't wait for round two

I'm pretty disappointed, just like almost everyone else here. I've skimmed over a few posts; it's generally the same reaction across the board with various scapegoats. I thought that there were definitely positives to be found within the game, and certain defining factors that cost us the game.

First off, apart from Mitchell who I thought was pretty good (disposal wasn't always top-notch), Burgers had me salivating. His level-headedness and disposal was fantastic. We asked how he'd go with a proper pre-season, and we got the answer.

Rioli showed that he's constantly improving. I lost count of how many goals he was involved in producing. I'm very excited at his prospects for this year.

Nice contributions from Savage and Suckling. I'd like to see more from both. Savage has some nice speed and relatively reliable disposal while Suckling's kicking was Hodge-like. Hopefully they're kept in the team for a bit more as a chance to prove themselves.

As for some of the factors, it was more in regards to the atmosphere surround the match, apart from being outrun by a fitter Crows side (a team renowned for their fitness), Adelaide were always a chance in this. The fact that it was their 20th anniversary would have been enough to get them over the line. The crowd was up, the fans were hungry to celebrate and it's possible that the umpires were given an undisclosed sum to give them the edge. I'm just being a biased prick on that last bit, but they were pretty awful. There were a few from Buddy and Renouf that were no doubt free kicks, but otherwise there were a few contentious calls that just the home side's way. Crowds have a stronger impact than some of us might think.

Overall, I'm still of the opinion that we probably should have won this one, but the tide was strongly against us. A few iffy turnovers from Bruce and Renouf didn't help the cause and they simply outplayed us in the last quarter. Looking forward to a ripper against Melbourne next week.

Gibson, Stratton, Savage, Suckling, Mitchell and Sewell were the big positives.

Maybe Johnny Barker deserves a bit of an apology too? Fact is, the twin tower forward line does not work with this game plan of the "60 metre" rule. All it does is flood our own forward line and negate our biggest weapon. Either fix it, or move Rough to full back, dump Gilham all together, plonk Bud at CHF, Hale at FF with Changa and Lisle in the pockets.

Max Bailey, time to test that knee son. Renouf's tank cost us 12 points last year and its cost us 4 already. Not his fault. But like his kicking, what's being done about it?

Maybe we should bring Mr Barker back as a defensive coach...

Last year, he was very effective on preventing any goals being scored in our forward half...

This year, it seems we need somebody to prevent any goals being scored in our defensive half :D

It's oly week ONE guys.... CHILLAX!!!

Pelchen and our list management starts to come into question for mine.

I'd drop Renouf on last night's game, but there is no-one ready to replace him, so he'll get another charity ride series of games, when he should be learning how to play footy at BH.

And before the excuses come out - we all knew Bailey was unlikely to get much game time this year and that Lowden and Grimley weren't ready.

Has there ever been another club that has struggled as much as Hawthorn to develop our own decent ruck department??????

Lets have a look at a few of our own

Loats Crawshay Renouf Taylor Lowden Grimley Bailey are 7 from the top of my head that we have drafted :eek:

Everitt, Salmon, Rehn and Skipper are a some that have arrived from other clubs in the past 15 years.

Renouf requires 2 full seasons of development at Box Hill. He needs to learn
the art of tap work
the art of timing your jump
the art of kicking
the art of marking
the art of handballing

Once Suzie is competent in the above areas and learns the rules regarding ruck contests then he should be playing for Hawthorn.

I have been saying this for 3 years but no one will listen to me.

Not one member of this board wasn't MH.

Unfortunately some posters do think the only way to express that is by throwing their toys out of the cot and spraying their spittle on all and sundry.
But are you surprised TAITA?

On the basis of the first half we would all be slapping ourselves on the back & talking about multiple flags - and on the back of the second we get rid of half the coaching & admin staff & delist 5-10 premiership players.

Chicken Little & Henny Penny say "hello" !

Despite a terrible free kick count, a one-sided neanderthal Adelaide crowd and not taking our chances when we had them, we really should have had that game.We'll get a lot out of that game.

Everything fell Adelaide's way.

Despite the dipsticks calling for new coaches and "game plans", we're on the right track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Autopsy Thread: Round 1 Adelaide v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back