List Mgmt. Bailey Smith officially nominates Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 5 pick?? I want whatever you are smoking.
If you think he not worth more than what your offering, then why isn’t the deal done ? Cats know the dogs are caught between a rock and a hard place. Good luck to you. Ask on other sites what people think he’s worth. I guarantee it’s more than cats are offering.

If you think he not worth more than what your offering, then why isn’t the deal done ? Cats know the dogs are caught between a rock and a hard place. Good luck to you. Ask on other sites what people think he’s worth. I guarantee it’s more than cats are offering.
Well a top 5 pick and more than we are offering are two different things.

I would say yes, many people would say he is worth more 17. I don't think many people would say he is worth a top 5 pick.

I honestly think Geelong is being a little tight about Smith.

Remember how much we demanded for Tim Kelly?

I think Geelong should throw in a future 2nd or 3rd. I think he is worth that.

Pick 20 or so by itself seems unders for a gun like Smith and is short changing the Dogs a bit I think.

Typical Mackie Behaviour. Wells would not have been this tight.

Pick 20 or so by itself seems unders for a gun like Smith and is short changing the Dogs a bit I think.

Coming off an ACL + "attitude/off field/behaviour" issues is the reason we are not throwing in an extra pick. Pick 17 is more than fair in this case.

Because the Bulldogs need to put on a brave face in front of their supporters when in reality they hold near minimal negotatiating powers and could end up with nothing if they choose to bite their nose off to spite their face.

Tim Kelly finished top 5 in the Brownlow, Smith is coming off an ACL, we offered Tim Kelly a 5 year deal, WB offered Smith a 2 year deal.

If anything we're overpaying for Smith

Tim Kelly finished top 5 in the Brownlow, Smith is coming off an ACL, we offered Tim Kelly a 5 year deal, WB offered Smith a 2 year deal.

If anything we're overpaying for Smith
How many picks did we receive for Kelly?

What you say is true, but at the end of the day, Smith is still a better player than what Kelly was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh you might know plenty.

I question your knowledge regarding Kelly V Smith though.
Whilst they are obviously different players, I would still say that overall, Smith is the superior player when comparing them both at their best.

Whilst Kelly was a gun at Geelong, he was surrounded by champions and did not have to be the main guy. Whilst he has by no means been terrible, his limitations as a player at West Coast have been plain for all to see. He is half the player he was at Geelong.

Smith on the other hand is an extremely versatile/dynamic player who was one of the most exciting players in the comp circa 2021/22 and has all the traits to be an absolute game breaker/match winner for many years to come.

I think he is far less reliant on those around him to make an impact (compared to Kelly), and despite his injuries and off field issues etc., his upside is still absolutely enormous.

Whilst they are obviously different players, I would still say that overall, Smith is the superior player when comparing them both at their best.

Whilst Kelly was a gun at Geelong, he was surrounded by champions and did not have to be the main guy. Whilst he has by no means been terrible, his limitations as a player at West Coast have been plain for all to see. He is half the player he was at Geelong.

Smith on the other hand is an extremely versatile/dynamic player who was one of the most exciting players in the comp circa 2021/22 and has all the traits to be an absolute game breaker/match winner for many years to come.

I think he is far less reliant on those around him to make an impact (compared to Kelly), and despite his injuries and off field issues etc., his upside is still absolutely enormous.
You said “Smith is still a better player than what Kelly was”.

So the evaluation of Kelly needs to be made when he left Geelong, not the player he is now.

Geelong Kelly was a far better player than what Smith ever had been + Smith has hardly played a good game of footy for two years.

You said “Smith is still a better player than what Kelly was”.

So the evaluation of Kelly needs to be made when he left Geelong, not the player he is now.

Geelong Kelly was a far better player than what Smith ever had been + Smith has hardly played a good game of footy for two years.
He was a very good player in the Geelong system when surrounded by absolute champions, who was shown up to be no where near good as people expected as soon as he left.

He was a very good player in the Geelong system when surrounded by absolute champions, who was shown up to be no where near good as people expected as soon as he left.
That makes literally zero difference because you questioned how many picks we got for Kelly… so you need to be comparing Geelong Kelly to Smith… not the Kelly of now.

The reality is, Geelong Kelly was a far superior player to Smith.

Smith has never finished higher than 7th in a bnf.

Kelly was AA and just about won the Brownlow for us.

The difference is enormous.

Bailey smith is worth a top 5 pick and you know it, however, you have the dogs by the balls and good luck in squeezing them.

worth is a mental construct …. I don't even know what a top 5 pick is worth….

In a capitalistic type protocol it's what two entities agree upon. If you ask Geelong what a pick 5 is worth and what Gold Coast you will get a different assertion.

What Richmond are getting this year for a couple of flankers blows all reasonable concept of worth ..but as you say ..squeeze away ..as long as we are not the one who are talking with a high pitch...

What Geelong got for Kelly is a little irrelevant … different clubs …different drafts...but I think all out of contract players should be free agents so … id say west coast should have paid zero… and we should have paid zero for Danger and Cameron …and would be paying zero for Smith..

but as ..thats not the system.. what we pay is what we have to pay.

If Haw had kept their pick ..it might have been tricker. but this year most clubs are bleeding to get R1 picks ..to get into this draft.. as good as he is Bailey Smith is still to some degree a barn find .. and clubs want the shinny new virgin kids this year.. Pretty good chance he would get thru to us

Grays 4_21 XA GT coupe Barn Find 02.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Bailey Smith officially nominates Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back