Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's fine.

Clubs losing OOC players will nearly always get unders. The threat of sending to the draft is a game of chicken only one club can lose on. The club with the OOC player. Everyone else is either no worse off or gets the player.

Players in the system don't have to choose the PSD. They can choose the ND, and their manager can stop any other club talking to them. What club would pick Smith in the draft without the due diligence on his knee or mental health?
Unless your West Coast Eagles

Then according to Jay Clark you gotta give Richmond Pick 3 for Liam Baker in order to satisfy Richmond (a literal comment he made)

Unless your West Coast Eagles

Then according to Jay Clark you gotta give Richmond Pick 3 for Liam Baker in order to satisfy Richmond (a literal comment he made)
He wouldn't be worth pick 3 even if he was contracted.
Rioli isn't worth pick 6 either.

Tigers making out like bandits

Both lose not just the club withe the OoC player. Actually the manager loses most of all because he's the one with his job on the line to get him to the club of choice. Also what stops the dogs from giving the info their manager wont.
How so?

My club a month ago was playing finals without Smith. If he went to the draft and someone else picked him we go into 2025 still without him.

That's no worse off than we were.
WB are worse off though.

By that logic we are no worse off either because he did nothing for us all year
For 2024 sure.
For the top 10 pick you invested with no recoupment of value you would be.

It won't come to that, a trade will be agreed on, and dictated by the AFL to be one of the ones held back for the finale to reach a climactic end to trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong fans still haven't answered the question

"Why is it agreed that a player is a free agent after eight years after being drafted, and not being six"
I don't know, wasn't it agreed upon when Free Agency was brought in? I presume the AFLPA negotiated it with the AFL. Geelong like all clubs would have offered their perspective.
All 18 teams opinions were collated then the AFL and AFLPA agreed to whatever suited the players best.

I don't know, wasn't it agreed upon when Free Agency was brought in? I presume the AFLPA negotiated it with the AFL. Geelong like all clubs would have offered their perspective.
All 18 teams opinions were collated then the AFL and AFLPA agreed to whatever suited the players best.
But naturally complete freedom of movement with complete free agency when a player is out of contract, including when a player enters the league (ie no national draft) is what the AFLPA would ideally want, and what would suit the the players best.

Why do you think that the AFL would have been against free agency being this expansive, though?

How so?

My club a month ago was playing finals without Smith. If he went to the draft and someone else picked him we go into 2025 still without him.

That's no worse off than we were.
WB are worse off though.
If Smith falls over your list is certainly no weaker, that's obvious.

But it's pretty clear that you are targetting burst mids with game impacting abilities.

Identifying 2 highly capable and high profile targets with motivated sellers to nominate you as a preferred home (Smith and Oliver) is good business.

Having both fall over in the same trade period because you were too cheap to pay a reasonable price is horrible business.

There is a reputational price for Geelong and Mackie if this falls over, bad business long term.

Both parties want a deal done, they are both worse off otherwise.

Why is every trade Geelong in end up being an absolute shit fight
Because Geelong is super greedy. It's a big reason they haven't gone down the ladder. Bulldogs should send Smith to PSD if he won't go anywhere else then I hope he's selected by a team outside Victoria

If Smith falls over your list is certainly no weaker, that's obvious.

But it's pretty clear that you are targetting burst mids with game impacting abilities.

Identifying 2 highly capable and high profile targets with motivated sellers to nominate you as a preferred home (Smith and Oliver) is good business.

Having both fall over in the same trade period because you were too cheap to pay a reasonable price is horrible business.

There is a reputational price for Geelong and Mackie if this falls over, bad business long term.

Both parties want a deal done, they are both worse off otherwise.
It's all moot as a trade will eventuate.
As for reputational damage. I think we'd be fine.

Because Geelong is super greedy. It's a big reason they haven't gone down the ladder. Bulldogs should send Smith to PSD if he won't go anywhere else then I hope he's selected by a team outside Victoria
There it is!

season 5 richard GIF

#VICBIAS

Still unsure of the appeal Geelong has for someone like Sniff. He’s a rockstar wannabe who thrives on social media likes.

How does he stroke the ego in a country town type setting??
Pay Day Money GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back