Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely its tampering to modify the contract terms. The AFL should force clubs to take on the contract as is.

Otherwise there will be an end to any trades for out of contract players. They all go to the ND or even the PSD with ludicrous requirements and 1 day later re-write them.
I don't know if it does or doesn't but it's been done.

Cats had always been reasonable in trade dealings
Have a fair bit of time for the Cats as an organization, Andrew Mackie is a little tough to take and he's more than happy to piss away goodwill and compromise future dealings, by the looks.
But looks like Cats have the upper hand here,.so
you'd assume he'll come out on top.

It's allowed under the rules. The afl should make this tampering but they don't and won't as we have seen previously.
Agree with this, why would they arbitrarily draw a line in the sand on one deal when sides have been pulling these shenanigans unpunished for years?

Agree with this, why would they arbitrarily draw a line in the sand on one deal when sides have been pulling these shenanigans unpunished for years?

Who was the last uncontracted person who went to the draft with a set of year and $ requirements and then it was rewritten the next day when their club of choice picked them up?

I cant think of any.

Why didnt WCE just do this with Baker and Owies ?
They could have kept pick 3 !!

Cats had always been reasonable in trade dealings
Have a fair bit of time for the Cats as an organization, Andrew Mackie is a little tough to take and he's more than happy to piss away goodwill and compromise future dealings, by the looks.
But looks like Cats have the upper hand here,.so
you'd assume he'll come out on top.

What?
They reamed WCE with an out of contract Kelly.

Correct. If they haven't done it recently they won't do it now (right or wrong).

Cats offering what is universally considered unders for Smith shows their true form. No doubt players would second guess any decision to nominate to the Cats moving forward if they do not offer fair market value at a bare minimum to get them in. Quite disrespectful of the Cats to Smith to be honest.

Cats offering what is universally considered unders for Smith shows their true form. No doubt players would second guess any decision to nominate to the Cats moving forward if they do not offer fair market value at a bare minimum to get them in. Quite disrespectful of the Cats to Smith to be honest.
the overly dramatic takes in this thread give me life

Who was the last uncontracted person who went to the draft with a set of year and $ requirements and then it was rewritten the next day when their club of choice picked them up?

I cant think of any.

Why didnt WCE just do this with Baker and Owies ?
They could have kept pick 3 !!
Jack martin but that was 5 years ago now

Usually when clubs are super far apart and a deal looks like falling apart, aren't they both making strong statements in the media, talk of mediation etc?
This one seems pretty quiet, almost like the clubs are going to get it done with no major fuss but held until the deadline because fox footy paid for the rights

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You will accept 17 and not like it. Geelong always get their man and the trade requests never stop coming. Now behold Mackies TRUE FORM, to your simple eyes it looks like he's doing nothing at all but in reality he's moving at the speed of light.

136ffdcef5e6608f5f8c8126c962fd56.gif

Usually when clubs are super far apart and a deal looks like falling apart, aren't they both usually making strong statements in the media, talk of mediation etc?
This one seems pretty quiet, almost like the clubs are going to get it done with no major fuss but held until the deadline because fox footy paid for the rights
this is almost always the way, us plebs have to beg for scraps of news from people like Sam Manure and Tom Morris who probably know about the same amount we do.

Reality is its probably quite amicable behind closed doors

Swans were banned from rewriting Buddy's contract.

The AFL do whatever they want, whenever they want.
And also now that I think of it they were trying to keep the same terms but write him down for less money total. IIRC contract law doesn't work like that because revisions need consideration, which means there needs to be something in it for Buddy which there wasn't. Eg; Bowes extending to flatten money was fine because overall he got a bigger contract with more total money in it.

And also now that I think of it they were trying to keep the same terms but write him down for less money total. IIRC contract law doesn't work like that because revisions need consideration, which means there needs to be something in it for Buddy which there wasn't. Eg; Bowes extending to flatten money was fine because overall he got a bigger contract with more total money in it.

Bowes had a contract and was traded.

Im not sure we have any examples of an out of contract player rewriting it after drafting.

Maybe mid season draftees, but not delisted/out of contract.

Bowes had a contract and was traded.

Im not sure we have any examples of an out of contract player rewriting it after drafting.

Maybe mid season draftees, but not delisted/out of contract.
Wel my previous example then of Jack Martin. Pretty sure you can only go to the draft on a 2 year contract but he came out the other end with tge 5 year contract blues originally offered him.

I'm not sure how they can stop a drafted player negotiating an extension. There's no functional difference between Smith extending after his first year and Sheezel extending after his first year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back