Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn still have a first round pick…
And if you reply that that is reportedly going to be used on Barrass then Collingwood will reportedly have a first from GC as well

We were originally keen on him before it became obvious only Geelong had what he wanted.

But he would be a good deal for 5 years with pick 14.

Better for us than paying 2 x 1sts for Barrass.

Yet he was “worth a first rounder” and Bailey Smith is worth pick 20. Make it make sense.
I enjoy your style of posting, just make up fake quotes and hope for the best. Hope it works out for ya

I'm just responding to the, fairly incredulous, idea that the dogs trade to redraft him and then let him walk as a free agent when OOC.

File under: things that aren't happening for a variety of reasons

AFLPA would file an injunction under Fair Work Act and "restraint of trade" which opens up a can of worms.

People seem to not understand that the "nuclear option" would cause nightmarish issues for Doggies and Sam Power...BigFooty "experts" think this is like NBA2k and you can just do whatever the hell you want with zero consequences.

This is someone's real life job, a bunch of people's real life careers on the line every single day. You can't do just do things with zero repercussion in Australia. We have strong work laws in place for this reason.

AFLPA would file an injunction under Fair Work Act and "restraint of trade" which opens up a can of worms.

People seem to not understand that the "nuclear option" would cause nightmarish issues for Doggies and Sam Power...BigFooty "experts" think this is like NBA2k and you can just do whatever the hell you want with zero consequences.

This is someone's real life job, a bunch of people's real life careers on the line every single day. You can't do just do things with zero repercussion in Australia. We have strong work laws in place for this reason.
WTF are you on about? If he signs himself up for either draft he has to go wherever he is selected or else he can decide not to play

I can’t tackle anyone in my workplace and I bet neither can you the afl isn’t a regular workplace do trying to pretend it is is laughable

WTF are you on about? If he signs himself up for either draft he has to go wherever he is selected or else he can decide not to play

I can’t tackle anyone in my workplace and I bet neither can you the afl isn’t a regular workplace do trying to pretend it is is laughable

TF i'm on about is very real and very important in how contracts/movement are addressed going forward?

They have a Players union for a reason? All trades, Drafting and player movement falls under scrutiny in regards to the Fair Work agreement.
Just because you don't understand basic Australian Work Laws doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

You've legit lost the plot, nothing forces the Bulldogs to trade him and accept anything that Geelong offer. The AFL will only step in if needed to try to broker a deal. But if neither club blinks he is welcome to nominate for the ND or PSD and put some conditions in place like a 5 year deal at $800k and hope he gets where he wants to. It's exactly the same as the Jack Martin situation when he went to Carlton. Smith has not reached free agency, he hasn't done the required years to deal with whomever he wants.

TF i'm on about is very real and very important in how contracts/movement are addressed going forward?

They have a Players union for a reason? All trades, Drafting and player movement falls under scrutiny in regards to the Fair Work agreement.
Just because you don't understand basic Australian Work Laws doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
If that was the case there would be no point in drafts not trades again to enter the league you sign up for what goes with it

You've legit lost the plot, nothing forces the Bulldogs to trade him and accept anything that Geelong offer. The AFL will only step in if needed to try to broker a deal. But if neither club blinks he is welcome to nominate for the ND or PSD and put some conditions in place like a 5 year deal at $800k and hope he gets where he wants to. It's exactly the same as the Jack Martin situation when he went to Carlton. Smith has not reached free agency, he hasn't done the required years to deal with whomever he wants.

I'm not talking about Geelong? I'm talking about a BigFooty member saying the Bulldogs should "intentionally" trying to mess with Smith on purpose in terms of "redrafting him"

AFL and AFLPA would step in. Sure, he lets a lot of his rights go if it gets to that point of ND or PSD i'm not disputing that and never said that was the case? That's a massive assumption on your part.
My point was about how the AFL is ever increasing to "Player empowerment" and teams/list managers are not going to be petty to one bloke for wanting to leave the club.

I have no doubt in my mind the AFL will be watching this move very very closely, a deal will get done.
It's a bunch of blowup for nothing.

😂😂😂

The supporter of a club that’s using dodgy marketing contracts to lure a player from an opposition club is crying about potential wrong doings by the Dogs?

The f**kin irony 😂😂😂

If the Cats were any sort of decent club, they’d give what Smith is worth rather than **** around, offering unders, whilst having already told Smith he’ll be wearing a Cats jumper come 2025.

If this deal goes pear shaped, Cats only have themselves to blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that was the case there would be no point in drafts not trades again to enter the league you sign up for what goes with it

AFL already walks a really fine line with Drafts and Contracts. We don't have the same lax work laws and lack of protections the US does. People usually conflate American sports with Australian sports in terms of player movement when they are very far apart.

That's why the AFL steps in on deals when required.

😂😂😂

The supporter of a club that’s using dodgy marketing contracts to lure a player from an opposition club is crying about potential wrong doings by the Dogs?

The f**kin irony 😂😂😂

If the Cats were any sort of decent club, they’d give what Smith is worth rather than **** around, offering unders, whilst having already told Smith he’ll be wearing a Cats jumper come 2025.

If this deal goes pear shaped, Cats only have themselves to blame.

Ummm he was already signed to Cotton On while with the Bulldogs?
If anything dodgy has occurred it would be on the Dogs not the Cats since no deal has been signed yet and he's still technically a Bulldogs player?

Congratulations, you played yourself?....

If this is how you react to a guy walking out on your club you need to go and touch grass. Your own list manager isn't this emotional, he's already discussing a trade.

Ummm he was already signed to Cotton On while with the Bulldogs?
If anything dodgy has occurred it would be on the Dogs not the Cats since no deal has been signed yet and he's still technically a Bulldogs player?

Congratulations, you played yourself?....
You made the same misinterpretation in here a week ago and were questioned on it. Are you being deliberately disingenuous?

You made the same misinterpretation in here a week ago and were questioned on it. Are you being deliberately disingenuous?

What? What are you talking about? I'm not making outrageous claims that shoddy deals are being done outside the salary cap in which the AFL are already super strict on since Judd and Visy fiasco.

People in here genuine sound like Cookers with Covid conspiracies.

No, the League is not consipring to help Geelong and no they are not conspiring against the Bulldogs.
That's just ****ing clown level commentary, we are all dumber for even entertaining it.

I'm not talking about Geelong? I'm talking about a BigFooty member saying the Bulldogs should "intentionally" trying to mess with Smith on purpose in terms of "redrafting him"

AFL and AFLPA would step in. Sure, he lets a lot of his rights go if it gets to that point of ND or PSD i'm not disputing that and never said that was the case? That's a massive assumption on your part.
My point was about how the AFL is ever increasing to "Player empowerment" and teams/list managers are not going to be petty to one bloke for wanting to leave the club.

I have no doubt in my mind the AFL will be watching this move very very closely, a deal will get done.
It's a bunch of blowup for nothing.
This whole line of posting is so embarrassing for you. There’s time to delete it before more people see it FYI

What? What are you talking about? I'm not making outrageous claims that shoddy deals are being done outside the salary cap in which the AFL are already super strict on since Judd and Visy fiasco.
You've fundamentally misinterpreted the assertions and speculation surrounding Cotton On, to think the following is some sort of gotcha rebuttal:
"Ummm he was already signed to Cotton On while with the Bulldogs?
If anything dodgy has occurred it would be on the Dogs not the Cats since no deal has been signed yet and he's still technically a Bulldogs player?"

Cotton On is a Geelong sponsor, not a Bulldogs sponsor.

People in here genuine sound like Cookers with Covid conspiracies.

No, the League is not consipring to help Geelong and no they are not conspiring against the Bulldogs.
That's just ****ing clown level commentary, we are all dumber for even entertaining it.
Now you're just being too, err,
level headed for your own good...

This whole line of posting is so embarrassing for you. There’s time to delete it before more people see it FYI

No it's not, it's laughable to see how emotionally charged people are getting over a guy who doesn't want to play football for a team anymore. Some of the suggestions in here are verging on conspiracy level stuff. It's unhinged.

When players enter the draft they go where they are drafted. That’s the system.

When they reach free agency (ie have done their agreed time to choose their future path) they can go where ever the hell they like.

The cotton on model is not a free agent. If Geelong want him they need to draft him or come to terms with the Dogs via negociation.

If they choose to risk the draft, Bailey must go to the club that selects him, albeit he can nominate some financial terms in advance that the drafting club must agree to if they select him.

School went back on Monday. I’m concerned you didn’t hear the 8:45am bell. I can drop you off with our kids tomorrow if you want….

No it's not, it's laughable to see how emotionally charged people are getting over a guy who doesn't want to play football for a team anymore. Some of the suggestions in here are verging on conspiracy level stuff. It's unhinged.
Brother the most unhinged shit said in this thread so far is you trying to claim a fair work breach for redrafting an open market player. It’s a draft. You agree to open market terms when you enter the draft. What are you smoking tonight.

Brother the most unhinged shit said in this thread so far is you trying to claim a fair work breach for redrafting an open market player. It’s a draft. You agree to open market terms when you enter the draft. What are you smoking tonight.

Hang on? I didn't say that it wasn't possible? I even mentioned it here.

"AFL and AFLPA would step in. Sure, he lets a lot of his rights go if it gets to that point of ND or PSD i'm not disputing that and never said that was the case?"

My point was disputing a Dogs fan saying the Dogs should intentionally screw Smith by "redrafting him"
1. List managers are not that petty, especially Sam Power who knows he will have to deal with Geelong and Connors down the line.
2. AFL and AFLPA would absolutely step in and push for mediation, the work laws are already a tightrope to walk and it behooves them to make sure deals and movement are getting done so that injunctions are not filed against the League, there's a reason "Send him to the Draft" has basically become a meme at this point.
3. Connors as an agent would be furious with the Dogs for messing with his client intentionally, he has multiple players currently on the Dogs list. You think they want to damage that relationship?

How is any of that "unhinged"

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith [reportedly headed to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back