Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

You asked for less than a 2nd rounder? They just ended up giving you more?

Ahh righto. Totally believable.

Esava was also dropped twice. Not because of his age though. That was because he’s shit. Clear difference between the two. Macrae misses because of team balance.

Cats played tough for a shit player, getting well overs.

Only a cats supporter missing brain cells would think that’s not far more unreasonable than what the dogs are wanting.

Speaking of, has anyone been down Geelongs main drag recently? Plenty of missing brain cells down there. Looked liked the audience lining up for a Jerry Springer taping.
Ah its a 2nd rounder now, you must be an ITK because last I heard it was a first rounder.

I'm not gonna address the rest of your post because you seem like you might be mentally unwell to get so viscerally upset over someone talking about a player at your footy club :tearsofjoy:

Sam Power's list management ability surprisingly mirrors his football skills

Sam Power's list management ability surprisingly mirrors his football skills

cover8.jpg

Ah its a 2nd rounder now, you must be an ITK because last I heard it was a first rounder.

I'm not gonna address the rest of your post because you seem like you might be mentally unwell to get so viscerally upset over someone talking about a player at your footy club :tearsofjoy:

Who told you we were requesting a 1st for Macrae? Your crack dealer?

Lay off the pipe chief. It’s been Saints 2nd rounder since the first sun rise.

Who told you we were requesting a 1st for Macrae? Your crack dealer?

Lay off the pipe chief. It’s been Saints 2nd rounder since the first sun rise.

And your trolling ability oddly parallels Israel Folau's AFL skills.
oh no someone said something I don't agree with on the internet so they're a trolling crack addict. Stick to the doggies board if you can't handle a little chat fellas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is irrelevant that the Dogs had the opportunity to. They didn't.

For the purposes of equalisation, the league aims to equalise the future on the basis of past achievement. Geelong was far closer to the flag this season, having made it further in finals, and thus was deemed by the AFL to be the better team. That is not only also factually correct, but more pertinent to the discussion at hand rather than treating all finals teams as equal or trying to determine the vague interpretation of which team was "talented".

But they are picking over the carcass of a team that didn't make the preliminary final the year before. It's irrelevant that the Dogs were vaguely a good team too last year, in terms of the official pronoucement of where each team ranked last year, Geelong ranked in the top 4, Dogs didn't. Dogs may be more likely to win next year's flag. Who cares. They certainly weren't more likely to win the 2024 flag between Week 1 and Week 3 of the finals series.

For the purposes of distributing talent on a year-by-year annual basis, such as handing out compensation picks and through the draft order, the AFL is only concerned with one year's results. A team could win 10 flags in a row, they could have 22 players tear ACLs, they would still get the first pick in the draft because the fact of the matter is that they finished last. The fact that they are likely to win the flag with 22 returning players doesn't stop them for getting the first pick. Indeed, the first pick in the draft it to help them and make them more likely to win the flag in the future, to equalise the fact that in the previous year, they couldn't win the flag because of the ACL's.

I can't believe I'm explaining the logic as to why the draft exists. Bloody hell.

And I'm willing to accept the fact that the Dogs may not ultimately be able to recruit them if they weren't free agents, or that we should have to pay appropriate other assets to do so.

Yes obviously because he wants to help his team win by maximising a combination of quality of playing list and draft assets that represent quality of future playing lists.

He's not acting entitled to obtain a player who is not a free agent, out of contract, and requests a trade to the team. Such as working with their management to suggest that the systems are such that they are that it's no guarantee they make the way to their team. Given Smith has already moved to the Geelong area, we can only assume Geelong have not done that with Smith and his team.

I'm more talking about the attitudes of fans, if you read the earlier posts.

Quote Mackie:
"We have had a couple of chats with Sam Power (Western Bulldogs), they have been held with good intent from both parties," Mackie said.

"It is great that Bailey does want to come and play for us, so that is exciting. Our intention is to trade him in and put him in the Hoops, so we will see where it gets to.

"It is day one of trade period, he is out of contract and had an injury throughout the year. It is interesting times, but hopefully it all lands well for both clubs."

It's lip service, but it's an appropriate way of discussing this in the public domain.

But Dogs fans will feel aggrieved because of inherent flaws in the rules of list management that allow certain clubs to exploit others, against the principles and creating inconsistencies as to why things like a draft and free agency compensation exist in our league at all.

Counter-intuitively, the Dogs are getting less compensation for having Smith serve only six years, not eight, where they would be getting Band 1 compensation, which is more than what Geelong are offering, even though the Dogs' compensation should be greater for having received only 75% of his years of service after drafting him.

Cats fans will feel aggrieved because they believe that they may not have exploited such flaws as well as they would have hoped.

That's the difference in feeling aggrieved.
You seem really upset by this trade.
Oddly you know how fans of either teams will feel.

My guy, you have posted on average 25 times a day ongoing for 12 years on bigfooty. Its time to leave the basement and let the sun touch your skin
Lots to talk about when you make finals every year.
I'm only here to keep the lickers on track. A week to go now.

You seem really upset by this trade.
Oddly you know how fans of either teams will feel.
Expressing emotion about a football team I have a membership stake in and support?

Gee that does seem odd. I must be the only one who does that.

So Geelong have offered a first right? In isolation this doesn’t sound terrible but when Rioli is fetching 6 and Noble is getting 13, yeah I’d be pretty pissed if I were the Dogs.

So Geelong have offered a first right? In isolation this doesn’t sound terrible but when Rioli is fetching 6 and Noble is getting 13, yeah I’d be pretty pissed if I were the Dogs.
A first could be pick 1 or it could be pick 20, big difference

We'll offer more than a first but the other trades mentioned are pretty wild outliers, with Noble being steak knives to a pick swap and Rioli being a trade woth Gold Coast. I still refuse to believe the rioli one goes through at pick 6 in isolation let alone more than.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back