Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong are not serious
That’s factually incorrect. Just take a look back at the last few years trade periods. If a club has needed a higher pick, it has traded to get it.
This whole “but we only have 17” is embarrassing nonsense.
Not saying that Geelong will, but clubs do and have done so.
Maybe Geelong are in fact trying to trade up a few spots. Time will tell.

With Smith being out of contract there is no incentive for Geelong to move up the draft. I think we are going to start seeing clubs offer crazy unders for out of contract players moving forward as there is no reason to offer fair value.

But you were trying to imply that it was unfair that Geelong had to pay up for Cameron & Dangerfield and no other club has had to. You were just ‘unlucky’ that the former clubs matched your offers. You weren’t being victimised. There was nothing unfair about it.

With Bailey Smith though, it seems Geelong supporters think the Bulldogs should just accept the Cats offer and like it. If you went into a store and saw a coat or a pair of shoes you liked and the price tag said $500, how do you think the salesperson would react if you said ‘Well I only have $300 so you should just take that’?
Not well I suspect.

Let’s hope something reasonable for everybody can be worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

-insert joke about the coat being treated poorly or having a rip on the sleeve-

But you were trying to imply that it was unfair that Geelong had to pay up for Cameron & Dangerfield and no other club has had to. You were just ‘unlucky’ that the former clubs matched your offers. You weren’t being victimised. There was nothing unfair about it.

With Bailey Smith though, it seems Geelong supporters think the Bulldogs should just accept the Cats offer and like it. If you went into a store and saw a coat or a pair of shoes you liked and the price tag said $500, how do you think the salesperson would react if you said ‘Well I only have $300 so you should just take that’?
Not well I suspect.

Let’s hope something reasonable for everybody can be worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No i wasn't? Lol I said "SHOULD" Cats fans throw up their arms about perceived "inequalities" because they're the only club who has had to pay up for Free Agents? WHy has no one else had to do it?.....

I'm saying NO! that's just the system and how it works. The problems that people complain about are the AFL's issues, not Geelong's and that's why i was laughing at the situation that good Old Paddlocks was trying to imply...that Geelong were using the "inequalities" of the competition in their favour, when my point was that everyone should be pointing their fingers at the AFL, not one single team. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Is the system broken?
You tell me? The Premiers are about to get the best player in the Draft using picks which aren't worth the paper they are printed on. As a Tigers fan, you should be annoyed at that as it directly affects your Draft pool.

How could you possibly misinterpret what i said?

Pretty sure 99% of Cats fans here have said 1st and 2nd will get it done for Baz. Don't think that has changed at any point.

Last edited:

I don't quite understand this, the player is out of contract.
So really if we wanted too “theoretically” we could go after daicos when he’s out of contract get him to nominate us and then tell Collingwood take our late first rounder and beat it . Or we are just gonna take him in the draft and you will get nothing . How is that a good system ?

It is but when have you ever seen the afl threaten to sanction a high profile player for it? They look the other way because they are scared of the AFLPA who they have allowed to get the whip hand.
Not even a high profile player. Smith basically told interstate clubs he didn't want to leave Vic as a draftee and nothing was done.

Dogs are asking for a top 10 pick (which is too much), cats asking for 17 to get it done (which is too little), by definition 13/14 is the middle.
Yeah but the dogs asking for a top 10 pick is like us asking for a first rounder for Sav. It's not a request meant to be taken seriously. A serious starting point is more like the suns pick 13 in and of itself.

Out of curioisity (Dogs fans), what are Smith’s six b&f finishes to date?
Out of curiosity (Cats fans), how good do you think a player is likely to be when they have 8 games of 8+ coaches votes among their first 70 in their career?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of curiosity (Cats fans), how good do you think a player is likely to be when they have 8 games of 8+ coaches votes among their first 70 in their career?
If you don’t know the answer that’s ok, I’ll look it up.

2019- no top 10 / best first year player
2020- 7th
2021 - 7th
2022 - no top 10 (16 games)
2023- no top 10
Ta, wasn’t a loaded question, just wanted to know.

Tough team to finish too high in the b&f when Bont, Libba, Macrae, etc have had a mortgage on the b&f for a while now.

Ta, wasn’t a loaded question, just wanted to know.

Tough team to finish too high in the b&f when Bont, Libba, Macrae, etc have had a mortgage on the b&f for a while now.

I think back to back 7ths in your second and third season is a pretty bloody good effort. 2023 obviously not a good season for him.

I think back to back 7ths in your second and third season is a pretty bloody good effort. 2023 obviously not a good season for him.
I’m not a huge fan of his kicking nor his decision making, but the rest is elite (or close to). After season three Dogs fans would have rightly thought they had a star on their hands…we would have.

Yeah but the dogs asking for a top 10 pick is like us asking for a first rounder for Sav. It's not a request meant to be taken seriously. A serious starting point is more like the suns pick 13 in and of itself.

I’d argue dogs asking for a top 10 pick is like cats asking for pick 20 to be enough

So really if we wanted too “theoretically” we could go after daicos when he’s out of contract get him to nominate us and then tell Collingwood take our late first rounder and beat it . Or we are just gonna take him in the draft and you will get nothing . How is that a good system ?

Well yes since he would be out of contract. It is up to clubs to keep their players happy. In contract I understand a premium is required.

Yep. Neither of those are the trade outcome.

Suns pick 13 would be dead on value for both clubs. Blues 14 (was Hawks) would probably do it too.

It’s no secret Dogs have bombers pick 9 in their sights. There are a ton of trade possibilities it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Suns pick 13 would be dead on value for both clubs. Blues 14 (was Hawks) would probably do it too.

It’s no secret Dogs have bombers pick 9 in their sights. There are a ton of trade possibilities it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
This is getting real academic. Almost zero chance anything plays out at all until deadline. Cats won't seek to improve their hand because they don't feel they have to.

BAILEY SMITH​

There have been talks between Geelong and the Western Bulldogs on how this deal gets done but there is still a gap between the parties with three days to run in the trade period. The Cats have tabled their first-round pick this year – No.17 – but the Bulldogs are keen for more to add to it or the pick to be shifted up the board. If an impasse can't be broken, given Smith's out of contract status, he could have to wait until the national or pre-season draft to get to the Cats. That is still seen as a long-shot, though, with all parties preferring to get a deal done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back