Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns pick 13 would be dead on value for both clubs. Blues 14 (was Hawks) would probably do it too.

It’s no secret Dogs have bombers pick 9 in their sights. There are a ton of trade possibilities it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

13 will go elsewhere and if essendon trade 9 (I still think they shouldn't as I don't think kako is bid by 8) it won't be to us.

I think it’s inevitable a third club gets involved, but the deal will get done. Could see us trade our F2 + F3 for a pick somewhere in the late 20s, then offer our 17 + that for Bailey. In the end, it’s the best offer the Dogs will get and I think it’s a fair offer considering the strength and depth of this draft.

This is getting real academic. Almost zero chance anything plays out at all until deadline. Cats won't seek to improve their hand because they don't feel they have to.

If a third club is willing to help (like Ollie Henry deal) then we will do it but if none is available we will add say a future 2nd and make that and 17 our final offer because you are correct in that we don't need to do a lot more than that.

17 and 58 ain’t getting the deal done. That’s your third round pick.

The points in your post clash. On one hand you admit Power is stubborn, is the best in the business with Mackie, the reports are that he’s clearly asking for something higher than 17, then you go on to say you think pick 58 will finalise it.
Makes no sense.

17 + 58 might be the initial offer.
17 + 38 is probably what it ends up as.

I think we can all agree the trade will eventually go though on the last day. Will probably end up been Bailey Smith and pick 48 for pick 17 and 38

Bit like dunkley the clubs spent 4 days arguing over late late pick swaps.

I think it’s inevitable a third club gets involved, but the deal will get done. Could see us trade our F2 + F3 for a pick somewhere in the late 20s, then offer our 17 + that for Bailey. In the end, it’s the best offer the Dogs will get and I think it’s a fair offer considering the strength and depth of this draft.
Depending where bids are projected you could probably get 31 from Brisbane or 32 from Essendon. 17 + 31 gets it done I reckon.

Depending where bids are projected you could probably get 31 from Brisbane or 32 from Essendon. 17 + 31 gets it done I reckon.

We are not going to trade multiple future picks when we will have half a dozen retirements next year.

We won't pay the premium required to upgrade picks. You can forget about that happening.

17 and some pick swaps is the furthest we will go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recon there’s a way for you to get Smith approach North for pick 2 offer North a De Konning a Key Backman plus either Mires or Dempsey both small forwards and North hand over a future 2nd pick
Well laugh but you don’t have a Top 10 pick and unless you off load a player or 2 to get Smith and remember the Bulldogs won’t take shit players also you might need something for Oliver remember you can only get 1 not 2 players.

The constant statements by Geelong fans "we're not breaking any rules, we're just trying to trade for an out of contract player" is not entirely correct either.

If Smith was avaliable at the draft, had not nominated and was equally as motivated to play for every club - at least in theory that being available in the draft pool suggests - where would he be drafted?

It may not be a top 10 pick, but It would be a lot earlier than the pick 22 or whatever the Cats' pick ends up being.

By virtue of the very fact that every single one of the 10 or 12 picks before Geelong is discouraged to select Smith effectively amounts to rule-breaking tampering.

Yes, I'm aware that Luke Ball did it too. Didn't make it right either then. At at least it was better serving the purposes of equalisation (moving to a team that finished lower the previous season) than Smith trying to move to a team that finished higher.

Everyone can sit here saying that he is worth more than pick 17, and that might be true, but the cats only have pick 17. They wont be offering 17 and F1 as that's too much, so they can't magically generate a top 10 pick for him. The Bulldogs issue is that Smith chose a club that got to a preliminary.final.ot sucks for them, but it is what it is.
If Smith goes into the draft, no one is taking him prior to the Cats pick.

Everyone can sit here saying that he is worth more than pick 17, and that might be true, but the cats only have pick 17. They wont be offering 17 and F1 as that's too much, so they can't magically generate a top 10 pick for him. .

Why can’t they try trade up to pick 13? the last I checked, clubs could trade up.

Everyone can sit here saying that he is worth more than pick 17, and that might be true, but the cats only have pick 17. They wont be offering 17 and F1 as that's too much, so they can't magically generate a top 10 pick for him. The Bulldogs issue is that Smith chose a club that got to a preliminary.final.ot sucks for them, but it is what it is.
If Smith goes into the draft, no one is taking him prior to the Cats pick.
The irony is if they traded him when we first asked last year they'd have got pick 8 (became 10 - Nate Caddy, though I think they'd have selected Wilson)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back