Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Other than a 23 year old gun now potentially at a finals competitor.
Didn't have him so can't lose him.
Only 1 club loses out of it went to the draft, and it isn't Geelong.

Moot as it will end in an amicable trade.

What has Mackie done during trade period?
He's had 9 days to improve pick 17.
Picks 3, 9, 12 and 14 have all moved but Mackie has done NOTHING.

Why give up something we don't have to? There's no need to upgrade 17 we're not West Coast. Mackie's goal is to meet Geelong's objectives, not give the Bulldogs anything they want.

Why wouldn’t Richmond take him in the draft? They’ve got a need for quality, he could be their gun midfielder with a mountain of social media fans, get paid buckets and they have the cap space to make it happen. I’m sure they could sweeten the deal with a tonne of money over what the cats can offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Why wouldn’t Richmond take him in the draft? They’ve got a need for quality, he could be their gun midfielder with a mountain of social media fans, get paid buckets and they have the cap space to make it happen. I’m sure they could sweeten the deal with a tonne of money over what the cats can offer.

They would definitely take him at 14, but even the official AFL website has an article saying that won’t happen because Connors would cry and the other 16 clubs would get so very angry.

Yze is yet to establish himself and he's about to start recruitment of his teenage playing group. He's not bringing a potentially disgruntled voice with some off field issues into that group even at pick 70.

There are clubs I would think consider it. Richmond is not one of them.

What has Mackie done during trade period?
He's had 9 days to improve pick 17.
Picks 3, 9, 12 and 14 have all moved but Mackie has done NOTHING.

He doesn't need to.

There are clubs I would think consider it. Richmond is not one of them.

The Saints would be the team that might do it via the draft. Top 10 pick would be a lot to pay for someone that doesn't want to be there but they have offered cash to every last man and their dog and got turned down, Smith via the draft couldn't turn them down. It would be Ross' call 100% if it came to it.

The Saints would be the team that might do it via the draft. Top 10 pick would be a lot to pay for someone that doesn't want to be there but they have offered cash to every last man and their dog and got turned down, Smith via the draft couldn't turn them down. It would be Ross' call 100% if it came to it.

Probably comes down to whether Smith nominates 2 years x $1m to scare away clubs, or he nominates the contract which Geelong would be paying. 5 or 6 x $900k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That one is a 50/50 for me. I think their picks are probably too early and trading back is a risk.

Could happen though. Ross might want revenge on the system after Ball. Reckon they want to add to the kids though

Probably comes down to whether Smith nominates 2 years x $1m to scare away clubs, or he nominates the contract which Geelong would be paying. 5 or 6 x $900k.
If he was offered 5 years at 900k by Geelong they he could probably go in at 2x years at 2.2m per year couldn't he? The destination club would want to be pretty sure he'd extend that contract

If he was offered 5 years at 900k by Geelong they he could probably go in at 2x years at 2.2m per year couldn't he? The destination club would want to be pretty sure he'd extend that contract

Surely its tampering to modify the contract terms. The AFL should force clubs to take on the contract as is.

Otherwise there will be an end to any trades for out of contract players. They all go to the ND or even the PSD with ludicrous requirements and 1 day later re-write them.

ok so you dont get it, basically his management shut up shop to other team approaches, no medicals, no interviews, etc.

hes not the first and wont be the last, is just what the environement AFL created.
But you do get it as the team you follow are aware of his medical condition (I'd assume) and are therefore OK to go ahead and offer him a long term deal.

Surely its tampering to modify the contract terms. The AFL should force clubs to take on the contract as is.

Otherwise there will be an end to any trades for out of contract players. They all go to the ND or even the PSD with ludicrous requirements and 1 day later re-write them.

Yes but this is Geelong we are talking about. The AFL will tick it off, applaud their shrewdness even.

But you do get it as the team you follow are aware of his medical condition (I'd assume) and are therefore OK to go ahead and offer him a long term deal.

thats call a medical. which every team do with potential recruits to confirm the player is physically able to play to the team standards.

geelong have probably done a medical with the player and are satisfied. of course there nothing stopping other teams assuming the geelong medical team know what they doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back