Confirmed Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to WCE, #14 to Rich, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing short of abysmal.

If Baker were in contract it would still be a bad trade, but an unwanted Owies and uncontracted Baker?

Clearly they want to get an immediate on field improvement, but those guys won’t move the needle enough to justify it.

Horrible.

Could have gotten far better value out of pick 3. Even if the draft is seen as even, it is still better to have pick your preferred player than whoever is left.

Eagles getting Baker, Owies and pick 12 for pick 3 is a huge overpay, however given the Eagles current list and relative ladder position, and the fact that Baker and Owies will both be best 22 filling roles of need for the Eagles, it isn't the worst ever trade
I actually think the complete opposite. 3 for 12 and 14, and then 14 for baker aren't themselves terrible deals. But given where the eagles list is at (in dire need of elite youth), I have no idea why they would trade a first rounder for baker. Should be getting youth in the same age bracket as Reid

The Weagles should be a better on field team in 2025. Paid a fair price for that though. It'll be interesting to look back on in 7 or so years. Although I'm sure I won't even remember the trade by then. ... Unless of course pick 14 = some super star who is the difference in the Tigers winning their 3rd in a row premierships.
There's definitely a lot of risk involved. But clubs that sit perennially at the bottom loading up on draft picks don't seem to do the best, you need some winning culture as well, so with two ready made players + natural improvement, another preseason into Harley, a new coach etc they'll be hoping to jump up the ladder a bit and give their fans something.

When you have a pick as early as 3, you can either
1. Trade it for a star who moves the needle
2. Take a top line kid who can move the needle in the future

The Eagles have done neither. Reminds me of Collingwood’s infamous 2020 future pick swap.

The Eagles have won what? 11 games in three seasons and will have used only one top 7 pick (Reid) in those drafts. When you are in a rebuild, you must use those early picks when you have the chance. Look at St Kilda and Essendon - constantly middling and crying to get a top, top draftee most years but aren’t finishing low enough to get one. Eagles are risking doing the same.

It’s great value most years for Carlton, but I am of the belief they’d be better off using teens picks to fill holes in a couple of positions, rather than going all out for a highly ranked midfielder. We’ll see what they can do.

Richmond wouldn’t get that much for a contracted Baker. They’ve made out like bandits

No, the Eagles aren't risking that. They already have the superstar talent in Harley Reid, who is likely a top 5 player in the league at his peak. That's something teams that get stuck in rebuilds can't find, the guy who can be built around. It's now about building a supporting cast for him, as you only need one superstar midfielder to push the needle. Equally, it's not like they're in great need of a key forward in the near future with Oscar Allen already putting up one 50-goal season (and was on a similar pace in 2024).

The risk for West Coast is they end up like Carlton in the back end of the 2010s, where they had Cripps and not much else, but really, they've already crossed the biggest hurdle a rebuilding team faces and have the face of the club for the next decade. However, this trade doesn't help their chances as it lowers the percentage of finding that supporting midfielder for Reid and Gimbley, all for two ok small forwards.

Carlton are the big winners seeing they're one piece away from pushing a premiership and pick 3 is able to get them a top tier small forward in this draft (and small forwards are the thing that supercharge good lists, and by god do they need a good small forward due to trading out their only competent one).

Last edited:
I think this is awful for WCE and Carlton and Richmond make out like bandits.

Breaking it down, Carlton have traded 2 x 1st round picks and 1 x 2nd round pick and Matthew Owies for pick 3.

All that for one unproven player.

Yet 2 x 1st round picks was too much for 2x AA Dan Houston?

I don't get it, man.
Take your Port Adelaide glasses off and you might get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see the logic in it.

Yes they might seem to get 'flogged' in trade week, but they'll hopefully have a much better season onfield.
It improves the bottom end of our best 22, which is better than people give us credit for. It's also a sign that the club feels we have the pieces in place. The problem I see is that we're still going to need someone to replace Yeo and McGovern eventually and instead of getting two good picks in, we've got one. We should also be better than 17th next year, diminishing the value of next year's first.

No, the Eagles aren't risking that. They already have the superstar talent in Harley Reid, who is likely a top 5 player in the league at his peak. That's something teams that get stuck in rebuilds can't find, the guy who can be built around, the rest. It's now about building a supporting cast for him, as you only need one superstar midfielder to push the needle. Equally, it's not like they're in great need of a key forward in the near future with Oscar Allen already putting up one 50-goal season (and was on a similar pace in 2024).

The risk for West Coast is they end up like Carlton in the back end of the 2010s, where they had Cripps and not much else, but really, they've already crossed the biggest hurdle a rebuilding team faces and have the face of the club for the next decade. Though, this trade doesn't help their chances as it lowers the percentage of finding that supporting midfielder for Reid and Gimbley, all for two ok small forwards.

Carlton are the big winners seeing they're one piece away from pushing a premiership and pick 3 is able to get them a top tier small forward in this draft (and small forwards are the thing that supercharge good lists, and by god do they need a good small forward due to trading out their only competent one).
If the Blues have traded up to 3, it won’t be to take a small forward.

The Eagles have blown up a chance to get at worst the third highest rated player of the draft to pair with Reid. They might only cop a player they rate 8th to 10th now, in exchange for two middle aged role players. They needed to take best available at 3.

Feel free to explain it!
Carlton and everyone else apart from Port Adelaide don't think giving up 2 x 1st rounders plus a fair chunk of salary cap is worth it for Houston.

Which is why we are a day out from trade week closing and no deal has been done for him.

Carlton have their eye on highly rated top player and did something about it instead of sitting back twiddling our thumbs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to WCE, #14 to Rich, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back