Beaten but certainly not disgraced.

Remove this Banner Ad

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very good effort by the boys tonight, considering the number of inexperienced players in the side and half the forward line missing. They fought it out right to the end. If only a couple of decisions or missed shots went the other way we might have won.

So much to like about the way Riggio, Hunter S. Thompson, Campbell & Thomas went about it today. The other young ones like Uquhart, McMahon & Lower also did okay, but the others really stood up.

All year I've wanted Laidley to leave Petrie at CHB, but then he goes forward and tonight, he was very impressive.

Yep, we were certainly not disgraced tonight, which is important given it was one of our very few 'blockbuster-ish' games in a good time slot on free to air tv.

Disappointing, but certainly not disgraceful.

If we don't make the 8 this year, we can rest assured that there will be teams above us that we are better than.

One final thought. Please JYD, just don’t play Brown again. Just don’t. It doesn’t many how many injuries we get, I would rather see a youngster add nothing to the team than Brown.

I'll just cut/paste my post into here since it seems like this is where all the cool kids are hanging out.

Sounds like a game we could have won with a bit more class.
Petrie kicks 4.2 rather than 2.4 and we're much closer
Pratt doesn't cough it up stupidly and we're much closer

Was the umpiring as bad in the last quarter as it sounded?

How do you let Mooney kick 7? We need a defender who can take a key tall forward so that we don't give players like Bradshaw, Brown and Mooney 5 goals before the siren's even been blown.

Obviously I only heard the radio broadcast, but it sounded like we play better with all the young kids in. Drop Brown, the game's passed him by.

Laidley should persist with the "take them on" gameplan. When we get a few games into these young guys like Urquart, Lower, Riggio, etc and we get Wellsy, JWS back that will win us games. Corey Jones will play better when the ball is coming in quicker too.

I'm disappointed with the loss, but I liked the sound of the game. Looking forward to downloading it and watching it. I'd like some feedback from people who saw the game.

I'll just cut/paste my post into here since it seems like this is where all the cool kids are hanging out.

How do you let Mooney kick 7? We need a defender who can take a key tall forward so that we don't give players like Bradshaw, Brown and Mooney 5 goals before the siren's even been blown.

Obviously I only heard the radio broadcast, but it sounded like we play better with all the young kids in. Drop Brown, the game's passed him by.

Laidley should persist with the "take them on" gameplan. When we get a few games into these young guys like Urquart, Lower, Riggio, etc and we get Wellsy, JWS back that will win us games. Corey Jones will play better when the ball is coming in quicker too.

I'm disappointed with the loss, but I liked the sound of the game. Looking forward to downloading it and watching it. I'd like some feedback from people who saw the game.

i'll do the same then...

watched it on tv from sydney. was very very furstrating. every time we got close they would get a cheap goal to give them back a buffer. they had that extra touch of class that we couldn't find.

our decision making lets us down and disposal was poor at times. it was clear though that we were instructed to attack through the middle and we looked great at times but kicked to dangerous contests and got punished at other times.

i don't like to blame umpires and a lot of the frees against us in the last quarter for holding the ball were there. the problem was every time they dragged it in or sat on it there was no decision our way. we also got pinged for chopping the arms where they seemed to get away with a few.

all in all more positives than negatives but it still hurts like hell losing to them like that. seeing steve johnson try dinky little passes and shots at goal made me yearn for the 90's when we would have had 5 defenders lining up to put his head into the turf.

on mooney, he got a lot of cheap adrian mcadam like goals but did make the most of his opportunitues.

drew and harro were outstanding. brown was rubbish.

that's all i have for now.

Don't start me on the umpiring. :mad: Unbleedingbelievable. :mad:

Terrific effort from your boys.

Weren't helped at all by the umpires but they didn't let it get to them and ploughed on regardless, were very unlucky to pull up short in the end.

Rest assured, you'll be there or thereabouts again in '08.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great effort from the lads. I know in many cases it is hard to be excited about a loss, but the young kids tonight we fantastic. riggio, uquhart, s.thompson and lower were great and drew was brilliant!

Few things that need to be changed IMO:
1. We desperately need a key defender - can't keep relying on "small" defenders like spud, josh. pratty and s.thompson - they should be giving us run from defence, not having to worry about manning an opposition key forward.
2. PLEASE GET RID OF LEIGH BROWN - surely we have SOMEONE on the list that could at least stand in the forward line and compete - I mean anyone! give goldstein a go, I don't care - just ANYONE...please!!! :)

Apart from that, a very pleasing, solid effort :)

Sorry to intrude, but Leigh Brown didn't do you guys any favours tonight.

When will Hanson get a gig?

God i hope bloody soon.

Seriously i know Brown gets knocked alot, but seriously who can stand up for him after tonight.

I dont want to see him running around in the seniors ever again, bloody liability. im hurting after tonight and drunk, but ive never been so annoyed by a player.
dead set liability.

Apart from Brown and a few stray shots from Drew, i was bloody proud of the boys tonight. keep showing that fight and running like that and our tough run home wont seem so bad.

Nice time to stand up by Hale, top effort.

Still hurts though..dammit!

Agree on Hale, he pantsed McIntosh in terms of effectiveness all night. Some determined attempts to bulldoze into packs on the ground and attack the ball in flight. Very impressed, I was starting to wonder if he had it in him (I knew he had the talent).

Certainly seemed to be a huge margin between Geelongs quick hands around stoppages and classy foot skills compared to ours, but our tackling, harrassing and determination to run and carry the ball (for a change) and get the ball in the forward line quickly were good to see. Guys like Riggio & Harding took the game on by foot, which takes some courage (of a different kind) against a hard tackling team like Geelong.

Can't defend Brown, which I have done most of the year, unless (at a huuge stretch) his job was to run Harley away from the ball to keep him from being third man up at contests.......

What a fantastic effort tonight against all odds. I yelled my voice hoarse and so proud how so many of the young blokes had a crack. Riggo was superb and he is a find, Hale was sensational and he now needs to go on with it and keep playing like that. Apart from his 4 goals (I think) his ruck work and second efforts was brilliant.

Now I know a few people have already mentioned how bad Brown was, and although he wasn't the cause of our loss, I have to say once again he was useless. Turned it over and his efforts were pathetic and I really think he has now done his dash. There is no way Laidley will play him again this year after what he has seen with the kids.

Finally to Laidley, I have been one of you harshest critics and only Teflon has been more critical but tonight you were superb. Coached very well, show dare and threw the team around. Keep that up and I will very very happy. Yes it was a loss but losing like that to a gun side with the kids in was very pleasing.

GO ROOS

Sensational effort by the Roos tonight, you should be extremely proud :thumbsu:

Struck down by injuries, it would have been one of the clubs finest wins had they prevailed.

I know a loss is a loss & apparently, there is no such thing as an honourable loss, but geez, they were gutsy tonight.

Hold your head's up high Roo fans, keep up that commitment & you will be right there at the business end of the season!

Brownie was dead set sh"thouse.... He was a liability and cost us every time we went forward.... But I think Laidley has awoken and seen the future with the kids...
Gee, people.... They were bloody awesome, the kids!!!!
we have a bright future and if we make finals we will win at least 1 one!!!
We will be an awesome team when fully fit not like those handbags tonight.... Geelong are still mentally soft.... Like they have always been... They win one flag in 40 years and suddenly they are unbeatable... phew...
there hometown of Geelong will always be there strength, but also there greatest weakeness!!!

They are mentally weak.... They will never be the greatest team ever like they were parading last near...... But, you have to admire their positivity...they believie... they win 1 grand final and they are world champions.... what a joke............ Our 98-99 team would pull your pants down.....

Not normally one to be happy when the words honourable loss is mentioned but tonight was a bit different. Our second tiers led by Drew and Hale played great games and our new batch too were very good ,in the end imo it came down to Geelong having more polish and better skills . The first quarter again was annoying centre bounces we played off our direct opponents and Ablett starred . We played one on one most of the time after that but i reckon the damage had been done and we were never able to bridge that gap.
Was proud tonight even though we lost , but we must improve so we can knock these teams off and i reckon we are doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Beaten but certainly not disgraced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back