Ben Cousins is or is not a Tiger discussion [Merged Threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ben Cousins a Tiger

how did last years PSD picks go didnt we dilst them all? now that was time well spent much better to pick up players who you delist in a year after they dont come up to scratch then to enlist a player who would be your best midfielder from day one.

have you ever seen him play, hes a freak...

WAS a freak - past tense.

What he's capable of without playing under the influence of performance enhancing substance(s), in his early 30's, with a dodgy hamstring, is anyone's guess.

He may lack anywhere near the same concentration, intensity and endurance he once had when he was wired, and all that aside, his ongoing hamstring problems alone could mean that he contributes less to the club than Blumfield did (for the same reason).

I have no moral objections to us getting him, and now he's virtually free I have practically no financial/salary cap issues, however, I'd prefer a junior mainly for the simple reason that it's difficult to see Cousins ever being more than a shadow of his former self onfield.

Rather take a chance with a kid than with a struggling 30 year old with a chance of relapse ruining our image further.

Ok so he relapses, gets the flick, nothing lost really. At least we could say we have the guy a chance and proved that people do deserve a second chance. And if he happens to come in and rips it apart? How would you feel then?

Ok so he relapses, gets the flick, nothing lost really. At least we could say we have the guy a chance and proved that people do deserve a second chance. And if he happens to come in and rips it apart? How would you feel then?

If he relapses at our club it will be an utter embarrassment and also has the chance that some of our kids falls into the wrong crowd with him being at the club if he's not clean. It also influences the chance of decent sponsors, which we need, in a recession especially, as shown by the Kangas and the Lions sponsors telling them not to get Cousins.

Also as shown on his last return the break from footy had restricted his body and his hammy was torn apart. He then had another lapse.

The benefits do not outweigh the positives, which is that he might be able to play for 3-4 years if everything goes right, which I have no confidence in.

If he relapses at our club it will be an utter embarrassment and also has the chance that some of our kids falls into the wrong crowd with him being at the club if he's not clean. It also influences the chance of decent sponsors, which we need, in a recession especially, as shown by the Kangas and the Lions sponsors telling them not to get Cousins.

Also as shown on his last return the break from footy had restricted his body and his hammy was torn apart. He then had another lapse.

The benefits do not outweigh the positives, which is that he might be able to play for 3-4 years if everything goes right, which I have no confidence in.

Don't get me wrong phoenix, I fully realise it's a great risk. However, he has to conform to extreme testing conditions and Im sure the club will be all over him like a rash if he appears to be taking the wrong path, not only himself, but with the other youngsters.

I just don't think the PSD is worth a pinch of shit in terms of available talent under normal circumstances. Cousins is worth a punt and he comes for free!!!!

If he relapses at our club it will be an utter embarrassment and also has the chance that some of our kids falls into the wrong crowd with him being at the club if he's not clean.

If our kids are stupid enough to be influenced by Cousins to take drugs and associate with criminals, given all the media attention, they shouldn't be on our list.

It also influences the chance of decent sponsors, which we need, in a recession especially, as shown by the Kangas and the Lions sponsors telling them not to get Cousins.

Whilst this is a good point, i don't think its enough to stop us going for him. Sponsors are being overly paranoid about this and fail to realise that any publicity is good publicity. Imagine the amount of media attention cousins will generate... every media conference he is wearing a shirt with the dick smiths logo...it could easily double their exposure. Furthermore, the positive publicity that could be generated from backing a club that is willing to give someone a second chance is enormous. I could understand someone in the pharmaceutical/alcohol industry not wanting to be associated with our club but how is an electronics company going to be affected even if he does relapse?

Also as shown on his last return the break from footy had restricted his body and his hammy was torn apart. He then had another lapse

The hammys are the only thing truely worrying me.

Football is a risky game clubs draft on unproven teens with little chance of making it, collins, jon, meyer, yet a proven player is ignored. I think people on here have lowered there expectations of what the club can achieve. I dont think the club has the balls to draft him but maybe that is part of our problem.

Im guessing that by the end of next year when we are comfortably in the 8 people will be wishing we had cousins to take us to the next level and give us that extra run required inthe finals

Seriously enough talk of relapse. sure the guy came out and admitted he was a drug addict and had a tough time at first facing his problems but in the last 12 months he has taken every step required and is well on his way to a full recovery. I don't see what gives you the right to make statements about possible relapse... sure he lost everyones trust but do you seriously think he would be putting himself back out in a public position where he could be humiliated if he wasn't passed his problems?

I'm not saying this just because I would indeed like him at the club - i know this is unlikely. I'm saying it because I'm sick of uneducated statements about his health...give him a break...and there is no way the kids could possibly fall into that 'crowd' your talking about because there is no way he can be involved in an AFL football club environment and get away with it! The testing is the strictest in the world he will not get away with it.

If our kids are stupid enough to be influenced by Cousins to take drugs and associate with criminals, given all the media attention, they shouldn't be on our list.

Whilst this is a good point, i don't think its enough to stop us going for him. Sponsors are being overly paranoid about this and fail to realise that any publicity is good publicity. Imagine the amount of media attention cousins will generate... every media conference he is wearing a shirt with the dick smiths logo...it could easily double their exposure. Furthermore, the positive publicity that could be generated from backing a club that is willing to give someone a second chance is enormous. I could understand someone in the pharmaceutical/alcohol industry not wanting to be associated with our club but how is an electronic company going to be affected even if he does relapse?

The hammys are the only thing truely worrying me.

dude, the facts are that Sponsors dont want a bar of any of this publicity. Be it for paranoid reasons or whatever, it is what is. What you dont realise is that thats the nature of the beast and you cant change it, the suits who make the calls on where they put their money have many avenues that they can channel it into. They dont need us, we need them.
I mean by what you are suggesting we get Ben, and then tell the sponsors, hey dudes, look we have ben and if he ****s up the publicity you will get will be good for you. Hello???? earth to Rancid.
Sponsor X gets a call from the tankers and Judd and then gets a call from us and Ben....who do you think gets the cashola? ;)

if terry can weave his magic and get him on the rookie list i dont see wat the problem is. we will be giving him a go and if he stuffs up nothing lost and we will be seen as giving him a last chance but him failing to take it.
But if it works we could have another gun on our hands. anyone that knows anything about football knows that ben cousins is a gun. and dont say this shit about dodgy hamstrings and too old. if it doesnt work out then there is nothing lost.
and those people saying he wud be taking up a young star's spot, we have one kane johnson in our midfield now that is too slow in every aspect of the game. i know who id rather have in there

so take cousins on the rookie list if the afl can bend the rules because they seem desperate to get him on an afl list to help his rehab, if it works we have a star, if not nothing lost.

if terry can weave his magic and get him on the rookie list i dont see wat the problem is. we will be giving him a go and if he stuffs up nothing lost and we will be seen as giving him a last chance but him failing to take it.
But if it works we could have another gun on our hands. anyone that knows anything about football knows that ben cousins is a gun. and dont say this shit about dodgy hamstrings and too old. if it doesnt work out then there is nothing lost.
and those people saying he wud be taking up a young star's spot, we have one kane johnson in our midfield now that is too slow in every aspect of the game. i know who id rather have in there

so take cousins on the rookie list if the afl can bend the rules because they seem desperate to get him on an afl list to help his rehab, if it works we have a star, if not nothing lost.

Spot on:thumbsu: lol kane johnson:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

three recycled midfielders in one pre season?

me thinks we are doing the good old

bandaid.jpg

Trick

Good ol richmond - prematurely cum their pants once again:rolleyes:

Whoever goes on as a rookie there has to be a long term injury. So does that mean with Polak still a slight chance of not playing.Whoever we get as a rookie will strait away be elavated.

It sounds harsh but also there remains an unanswered question, i.e. how good a player is Ben Cousins off the juice? I doubt anyone can answer that with confidence as he obviously played a considerable period, if not the majority of his AFL career using substances, many of which are clearly performance enhancing. I was always of the opinion that he was bloody lucky not to be stripped of his Brownlow and premiership medals a la Marion Jones, Ben Johnson Tour de France et al. When the Saints and Lions actually go observe and investigate him then ignore him in the draft, that was the nearest I ever got to an answer.

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/hislop-settling-in-61554

"Meanwhile, Tigers football manager Craig Cameron slammed the door shut on recruiting fallen star Ben Cousins, saying 'we won't be taking him in the pre-season draft' on December 16" ;)

We can dust that off then.

Mature-age rookie still open but I'm not sure how ethical that is (only other exemption went to Rama).

In any case, we know where the club stands - all good and well.

We can dust that off then.

Mature-age rookie still open but I'm not sure how ethical that is (only other exemption went to Rama).

dude Cousins wanted to try the Rama thing with the eagles and they said on ya bike...they dont want a bar of him. ;)

I hope Richmond goes nowhere near the bloke and that the same is said for every other AFL team. Everyone keeps going on about Cousins getting a second chance, he is on about his tenth. For years he and a few of his brood down at the Eagles had their smug attitude and thought themselves untouchable.

The late night car ditch and swim incident did nothing and then when it all eventually became public and he gave that sorry speech in the worst white shirt ever made you could tell it was all bull shit. Yet flash forward and it's all the same.

The writing was on the wall for Cousins for years and he didn't care, he chose a drug addiction, the lowest form of a supposed disease over the life of a footballer. Once an addict always a dead shit.

It sounds harsh but also there remains an unanswered question, i.e. how good a player is Ben Cousins off the juice? I doubt anyone can answer that with confidence as he obviously played a considerable period, if not the majority of his AFL career using substances, many of which are clearly performance enhancing. I was always of the opinion that he was bloody lucky not to be stripped of his Brownlow and premiership medals a la Marion Jones, Ben Johnson Tour de France et al. When the Saints and Lions actually go observe and investigate him then ignore him in the draft, that was the nearest I ever got to an answer.

Fair point...
However he wasn't a drug addict when first recruited, and he won the rising star award. I certainly can't say i know for a fact but I don't think it was until the latter part of his time at West Coast that he became relient on drugs. Your comment about him being stripped of his Brownlow though is one of the most stupid things I've read on here in a long long time though....On what basis do you believe he should have been stripped of it?
Never tested positive mate...enough said!

dude Cousins wanted to try the Rama thing with the eagles and they said on ya bike...they dont want a bar of him. ;)

AFL?

Well they're copping it from everywhere for their handling of the issue as it is. That's the only reason why the AFL would have a look.

I'm in no position to judge their opinion of Cousins and therefore, I won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back