Free Agency Ben McKay [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

6th in June!! Look out.

The under sized - under talented back line has been and will continue to be exposed in 2023.

If you go into 2024 with the same defenders - wash rinse and repeat.

we have leaked less points than premiership fancies Geelong, Fremantle, Brisbane

Not just that but we have some developing players at VFL level that if they get on the park will supersede Laverde &/or Zerk who are doing an admirable job thus far. McKay isn't a huge upgrade anyways so no point overpaying for the same player we have on the list already.

Mckay is better than Zerk Thacter
Reid injury prone and a long way back
Hayes another who's years away

It's a no brainer to get Mckay he will fill the viod for 5-6 years till the likes of Reid and Hayes are ready

Zerk and Laverde now.
Baldwin as depth who has played games this year as a 21 year old and looks set to play more games by years end.
Reid is perennially injured so could be the one in doubt but Hayes essentially replaces him as the young, developing long term KPD option.

If anything, McKay may be a slight upgrade on Zerk whom becomes depth, meaning Baldwin possibly becomes redundant despite playing games this year and looking increasingly likely to play more in the back half of 2023. Stewart will be paid out or just retire.

The actual necessity for McKay isn't as great as people make out. Sure, the cost is nothing (but salary) but why not continue to develop what we have in an overstocked area of the ground?

Zerk and Laverde now.
Baldwin as depth who has played games this year as a 21 year old and looks set to play more games by years end.
Reid is perennially injured so could be the one in doubt but Hayes essentially replaces him as the young, developing long term KPD option.

If anything, McKay may be a slight upgrade on Zerk whom becomes depth, meaning Baldwin possibly becomes redundant despite playing games this year and looking increasingly likely to play more in the back half of 2023. Stewart will be paid out or just retire.

The actual necessity for McKay isn't as great as people make out. Sure, the cost is nothing (but salary) but why not continue to develop what we have in an overstocked area of the ground?
Nah mate. Whenever we get two actual key forwards we get shit on. Zerk desperately needs a partner.

Amon wasn't/isn't that good. Probably the same as Brandon Ellis, who needed a similar compo pick for Richmond when he joined Gold Coast

I just don't really like the compo system at all.

I am not really going to take a Carlton Supporter's view on player quality seriously. He was one of the best wingers in the comp for the last 4 years he was with us.

Amon would be best 22 for all 18 teams. He got Band 3. We got pick 27 (I.e a speculative pick at best) for a dead certainty over the next 4-5 years. It's relevant when people on here are arguing some guy who played 50 games by the age of 25, has played only 1 good season, and has been poo for most of this season should be band 1. Dreaming.

I am not really going to take a Carlton Supporter's view on player quality seriously. He was one of the best wingers in the comp for the last 4 years he was with us.

Amon would be best 22 for all 18 teams. He got Band 3. We got pick 27 (I.e a speculative pick at best) for a dead certainty over the next 4-5 years. It's relevant when people on here are arguing some guy who played 50 games by the age of 25, has played only 1 good season, and has been poo for most of this season should be band 1. Dreaming.
So certain team supporters can’t have a view on quality of players? What a bizarre comment.

Key position players are worth more than wingers. What made him one of the best? His all Australians or best and fairest?

So certain team supporters can’t have a view on quality of players? What a bizarre comment.

Key position players are worth more than wingers. What made him one of the best? His all Australians or best and fairest?
In 2021 he made the AA squad and finished top 4 in the B&F of a team that made a prelim. Both significantly higher achievements than anything Ben McKay has ever done.

In 2021 he made the AA squad and finished top 4 in the B&F of a team that made a prelim. Both significantly higher achievements than anything Ben McKay has ever done.
Right so 1 good year.

A team isn’t trying to get Ben for what he has done - they will try and get him for what he can potentially do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben will trigger end of round 1 compensation IMO. No chance anyone will pay enough to trigger band 1 compo. North will have to decide if they want to match it or not, I get the impression there will be a bunch of chest beating (much like the North fans in this thread cough Wild Bill cough) but they will take the pick and run.

The truth is based on output, games played and age Ben would realistically only attract a second round pick in a trade scenario so anything over that would be a win for North. Some of the North delusion on this thread is laugable.

Ben will trigger end of round 1 compensation IMO. No chance anyone will pay enough to trigger band 1 compo. North will have to decide if they want to match it or not, I get the impression there will be a bunch of chest beating (much like the North fans in this thread cough Wild Bill cough) but they will take the pick and run.

The truth is based on output, games played and age Ben would realistically only attract a second round pick in a trade scenario so anything over that would be a win for North. Some of the North delusion on this thread is laugable.
If they match, imo then we will need to give up a 1st round pick whether this year or Future 1st in a deal

If they match, imo then we will need to give up a 1st round pick whether this year or Future 1st in a deal
I don't think where the club is at right now in terms of youth and development that we would be trading a first round pick for Ben Mckay in all seriousness. I honestly think we would call Norths bluff because they won't want to keep a player that has exercised their free agency options and he hasn't done enough (in terms of team importance) as a player for North to play hardball on him. I would be pretty furious at the club for trading this seasons first or a future first for Ben, he's plain and simply not worth it and I think most neutrals would agree on that.

I don't think where the club is at right now in terms of youth and development that we would be trading a first round pick for Ben Mckay in all seriousness. I honestly think we would call Norths bluff because they won't want to keep a player that has exercised their free agency options and he hasn't done enough (in terms of team importance) as a player for North to play hardball on him. I would be pretty furious at the club for trading this seasons first or a future first for Ben, he's plain and simply not worth it and I think most neutrals would agree on that.
Oh id much prefer to walk away if they matched

Its just hard imo to see them accepting 2×2nds, especially when ours is likely to be around 28+ for both picks

Honestly dont think Mckay care too much if it came to with staying at North as they wouldve matched a big pay deal which is ultimately what hes after id imagine

Lol yes clubs do. Where have you been?

1 million a year - after 9 games averaging 6 disposals.

Lol of course find the one outlier which still isn’t relevant to the McKay discussion. They paid that because he was expected to be a generational forward and the pick 1 from 12 months ago. Not an injury prone 25 year old who’s been in the system 6/7 years and still hasn’t broken out as a top line player due to a mixture of form and injury.

Look how that played out for them though. So actually doesn’t support your argument at all and if anything, is even more reason why clubs shouldn’t and likely won’t be paying $800k+ contracts based on just potential.

Who else has been offered that kind of contract purely on potential as you are asking for…

So will ess match parish or Redman if ess don’t get band 1? Or will they take the pick and run?

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Ben McKay [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Back