Free Agency Ben McKay [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

North should match it if 19.

Thats why the Hawks became a power house. They didn’t care about draft picks if they could improve their list. You have a massive hole. You can fill it - or stay mediocre.

think you are over exaggerating the "massive hole". it's an issue for us but not that big of an issue that we need to piss away a first-round pick on McKay.......Would be ludicrous if we did that.

the guy has played 50 odd games in like 6 years. He can be a solid defender but he is no way near worth what's being floated in this thread.

hard pass for me.

think you are over exaggerating the "massive hole". it's an issue for us but not that big of an issue that we need to piss away a first-round pick on McKay.......Would be ludicrous if we did that.

the guy has played 50 odd games in like 6 years. He can be a solid defender but he is no way near worth what's being floated in this thread.

hard pass for me.
Tom Hawkins likes this post.

33 marks in his last 4 games and a 18 and 19 disp game in there aswell

I think people who say he isnt worth 800k must not think hes worth 650k to stay at North (Have to offer more for him to turn his head) and also the salary in the next 5 years will rise plenty and the bombers have a truckload of cap room next year. Its hard to see him moving clubs for 700k or less

4 mill/5 years

Year 1: 1.5 mill
Years 2: 1 mill
(2026) Year 3: 500k (Be avg AFL salary)
(2027) Year 3: 500k (Be avg AFL salary)
(2028) Year 3: 500k (Be avg AFL salary)

500k doesnt impede what we can do those years at all and neither does 1.5 mill next year

Honestly get Mckay and ease out Zerk or Reid if you can get a mid 2nd in return (Doubt Reid gets that). Both Adelaide teams would love Zerk right now

33 marks in his last 4 games and a 18 and 19 disp game in there aswell

I think people who say he isnt worth 800k must not think hes worth 650k to stay at North (Have to offer more for him to turn his head) and also the salary in the next 5 years will rise plenty and the bombers have a truckload of cap room next year. Its hard to see him moving clubs for 700k or less

4 mill/5 years

Year 1: 1.5 mill
Years 2: 1 mill
(2026) Year 3: 500k (Be avg AFL salary)
(2027) Year 3: 500k (Be avg AFL salary)
(2028) Year 3: 500k (Be avg AFL salary)

500k doesnt impede what we can do those years at all and neither does 1.5 mill next year

Honestly get Mckay and ease out Zerk or Reid if you can get a mid 2nd in return (Doubt Reid gets that). Both Adelaide teams would love Zerk right now
Good. They can have him.

I think people who say he isnt worth 800k must not think hes worth 650k to stay at North (Have to offer more for him to turn his head)

I don’t think it’s that far out of the realms of possibilities that a club won’t have to offer him much more than what he’s currently on for him to want to leave the powerhouse that is North.

Maybe he wants to leave without much more incentive than simply wanting to win more than a handful of games before his careers over.

Play for North for 650 or go somewhere with upside of finals and perhaps success for the same?

I don’t think it’s that far out of the realms of possibilities that a club won’t have to offer him much more than what he’s currently on for him to want to leave the powerhouse that is North.

Maybe he wants to leave without much more incentive than simply wanting to win more than a handful of games before his careers over.

Play for North for 650 or go somewhere with upside of finals and perhaps success for the same?
I think North match unless band 1

I think theyd already have a 700k contract over 5 in front of him

I think North match unless band 1

I think theyd already have a 700k contract over 5 in front of him
Don’t think we have offered anything yet. On Ben’s request, we are waiting till seasons end.

Ralph and McGowen are the main two to trust on North related trade stuff. Particularly the latter.

Don’t think we have offered anything yet. On Ben’s request, we are waiting till seasons end.

Ralph and McGowen are the main two to trust on North related trade stuff. Particularly the latter.
Id be staggered if it hasnt been mentioned to his management about the salary cap number there looking at if he was to stay

I thinn you get offered something from current employer (may not be officially in writint yet, but as good as) then see what the market offers

I dont know, just see how id see it working

Maybe North say, we arent giving you a figure yet! And then mckays management go to other employers and see what they would offer (example 800k/5 years)

Then go back to North and say this is what hes been offered are you willing to match ect

But id assume North could take him off FA market and all this drama of they offered something potentially. Would depend of Ben liked it. Unless money has nothing to do with it, which i doubt is the case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id be staggered if it hasnt been mentioned to his management about the salary cap number there looking at if he was to stay

I thinn you get offered something from current employer (may not be officially in writint yet, but as good as) then see what the market offers

I dont know, just see how id see it working

Maybe North say, we arent giving you a figure yet! And then mckays management go to other employers and see what they would offer (example 800k/5 years)

Then go back to North and say this is what hes been offered are you willing to match ect

But id assume North could take him off FA market and all this drama of they offered something potentially. Would depend of Ben liked it. Unless money has nothing to do with it, which i doubt is the case
Any noise is coming from his management testing the waters. I expect it to ramp over the next month or so. Don’t think our team form will improve or further encourage him in any case.

If McKay leaves, North will get handed a first round pick straight after there current pick.
The AFL will assist them - must have a strong Clarkson lead team, right?
If they were to assist, it'll be because we've finished in the bottom two for 4 years straight.

2020 - 17th.
2021 - 18th.
2022 - 18th.
2023 - 17th*

So its not about $$ at all then?

So maybe a team can get him for less cap then if the case
I only have educated/informed guesses for you, but being as poor as North have for a long time takes a toll on some players.

I only have educated/informed guesses for you, but being as poor as North have for a long time takes a toll on some players.
Certain players no doubt

There are also many players that dont really care about winning as such and all about the $$ as much as said otherwise and we as fans like to believe that to be the case

Not saying this is Mckay

Id think his manager right now knows he can only improve his worth with 8 weeks to go anyway and only major injury would have the opposing effect

Put it this way. Dylan Williams plays his 14th game on the weekend. Ben McKay plays his 64th. If we win and North lose, Williams will have played in twice as many career wins as McKay.

Put it this way. Dylan Williams plays his 14th game on the weekend. Ben McKay plays his 64th. If we win and North lose, Williams will have played in twice as many career wins as McKay.
Thats downhill skier logic, my friend.

But then again, if Ben wants to experience immediate success, perhaps we’ll see him joining Josh Carr at Richmond next year?

Thats downhill skier logic, my friend.

But then again, if Ben wants to experience immediate success, perhaps we’ll see him joining Josh Carr at Richmond next year?
If Ben McKay joins the team that was 15th on the ladder at the end of last round for 'immediate success' then that would be almost as poor a decision as every contract extension he signed at North.

700k/5 wont imo

Brad Crouch be close to bwing on that and was known he wasnt getting band 1 before it happened

Couple of points

* crouch contract was $600-$650k, but apparently it had a large component that was performance related, which doesn’t count

* crouch was 26, McKay 25, which makes a difference in terms of loading

* crouch was compared to 26 year olds as a reference point, McKay 25 year olds. Might make a difference.

I think $750k would be the mark he needs plus loading to get band 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Ben McKay [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Back