Remove this Banner Ad

the_fresh

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
dowdenphotography.com
He's played 9 games, I've seen most of his 9 games live and from what I've seen the guy is not up to AFL standards.

He's been played forward, he's shown that he has no idea up there what so ever. That kicking style was laughed at by many, he was touched up yesterday by a sub par player in the backline.

He can't kick, can't mark, can't run and can't tackle at AFL standards.

I still think Nathan Brown did more at an AFL level to warrant selection than he has, but I'm not privy to everything that goes on at the club so I don't know why he's beeing neglected. His brother is doing pretty awesomely at WCE.

Um if you don't care for our views why the thread?

I am hardly reids biggest fan, personally he is a tall flanker to me but the entire defence was touched up

Saving my judgement for next week when he plays on someone who is more of a threat. He did not get toweled up and played better than Heater, toovey and at some times Maxwell. Didn't get much of the ball but that is actually good considering he is a shut down defender who has taken prestis role. I admit i was the first one calling for his head when he played up forward a few years ago but i saw nothing yesterday saying he should be dropped. He was even better when you consider he played in a backline that was absolutley hammered. Based on your logic we get rid of Shaw, Toovey and all of the forwards.

lets just completely ignore the fact that he is a 20 year old key position player.

Personally I keep forgetting that he's only 20, for some reason I have it in my head that he's 22+. No idea why.

That being said, have thought all summer, and still think N.Brown would be ahead of him for selection regardless.

He's played 9 games, I've seen most of his 9 games live and from what I've seen the guy is not up to AFL standards.

He's been played forward, he's shown that he has no idea up there what so ever. That kicking style was laughed at by many, he was touched up yesterday by a sub par player in the backline.

Your judgement is a little harsh. He certainly lacks football ability IMO, but he does have athletic ability and there are are a lot of sub par footballers/good athletes playing the game at AFL level.

What concerns me most is that after the 2006 draft, Hine shot his mouth off by saying we had just recruited a spine for the next 10 years. Well 4 years down the track and Brown, Reid and Dawes, IMO, are all long shots to be good AFL players let alone being the basis for building a side around them as the spine. To me, they all have athletic abilty but lack football ability.

Personally I keep forgetting that he's only 20, for some reason I have it in my head that he's 22+. No idea why.

That being said, have thought all summer, and still think N.Brown would be ahead of him for selection regardless.
probably - but for development reasons we need to start getting games into reid - and we can't play them both at the same time.
we should hope to play reid for about 10 games this year

I still think Nathan Brown did more at an AFL level to warrant selection than he has, but I'm not privy to everything that goes on at the club so I don't know why he's beeing neglected. His brother is doing pretty awesomely at WCE.

I think that its pretty hard to be judging VFL players performances so far on this season alone... and going by how Reid has developed and spent most of last year in the VFL with ongoing improvement I think he deserved a go after Presti was injured.

For me I was not a Reid fan but after going to quite a few VFL games last year I changed my view.

I think he deserves another go if Presti is still out

Man you are a player.....here is a young guy who gives his best and you sitting in the stands with the silver bullet . Well done...

An extended run in the team is needed before anybody has the right to write the kid off.

I've been a critic of him in the past but he could just need a bit of time to find his feet at the top level.

He needs all the senior exposure he can get, as he could become a very crucial player when Presti hangs up the boots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought his composure and kicking, at least early in the game, was the best its been at this level. Plenty of improvement needed, but he's only young.

What concerns me most is that after the 1996 draft, Hine shot his mouth off by saying we had just recruited a spine for the next 10 years.
Unlikely. 2006 perhaps.

Furthermore, lets review this mythical "touching up" of Ben Reid.

Michael Newton: 3 kicks, 1 handball, 2 marks, 2 FF, 1 tackle, 1 goal.
Ben Reid: 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 1 FA, 3 tackles.

Wow, I don't know how Benny can walk down the street without first donning a paper bag with eyeholes.

Saving my judgement for next week when he plays on someone who is more of a threat. He did not get toweled up and played better than Heater, toovey and at some times Maxwell. Didn't get much of the ball but that is actually good considering he is a shut down defender who has taken prestis role. I admit i was the first one calling for his head when he played up forward a few years ago but i saw nothing yesterday saying he should be dropped. He was even better when you consider he played in a backline that was absolutley hammered. Based on your logic we get rid of Shaw, Toovey and all of the forwards.
Shaws had a few bad ones in his career buy his best and his worst are much better than Reids best & worst.
Toovey is our only run with player, let him do that 100% of the time, don't change his role - simple.

Reid has done nothing in his 9 games to show the supporters that he's worth keeping on the list. He's a great VFL player, but not up to the fast paced game style that the AFL is.

reid was not bad yesterday. i thought he showed something. and he was not beaten by his opponent.

i dont know how much clearer i can be.

Exactly right, hes played 9 games!!!!! What was Presti after 9 games????? a dud forward who looked no bloody hope of making it, Shane Wakelin looked useless in his first 20 games.
The Kid was outstanding at times last year at VFL level is only 20 and is a new convert to the backline, i watched the game and honestly didnt think he was as horrible as some others in the side so ease up a bit and find some patience, "just a little patience yeah yeah".

I think that its pretty hard to be judging VFL players performances so far on this season alone... and going by how Reid has developed and spent most of last year in the VFL with ongoing improvement I think he deserved a go after Presti was injured.

For me I was not a Reid fan but after going to quite a few VFL games last year I changed my view.

I think he deserves another go if Presti is still out

I don't disagree that he needs to be played, but I'm a strong believer of putting your best side on the park as well, so it's a pretty massive conflict. After seeing how Nathan's twin has kicked for goal for the Eagles, I wouldn't mind seeing him having a crack at either end in the VFL and see how he goes.

Unlikely. 2006 perhaps.

Furthermore, lets review this mythical "touching up" of Ben Reid.

Michael Newton: 3 kicks, 1 handball, 2 marks, 2 FF, 1 tackle, 1 goal.
Ben Reid: 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 1 FA, 3 tackles.

Wow, I don't know how Benny can walk down the street without first donning a paper bag with eyeholes.

Nowhere did I mention a 'touching up' of Ben Reid in yesterday's game, although maybe your comments are directed elsewhere.

I stand by what I said, he is an athlete rather than a footballer and that in itself will get him lots of games, but I doubt he will ever be a player you can build a side around as part of the 'spine', as Hine declared.

I remember his very first game, played full forward, looked good.

Why doesnt mick put him back there, maybe he's being played out of position.

Nowhere did I mention a 'touching up' of Ben Reid in yesterday's game, although maybe your comments are directed elsewhere.
Everything but the first line was directed at the OP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Reid - I don't care what you say, he's a dud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back