Ben Reid - I don't care what you say, he's a dud

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember his very first game, played full forward, looked good.

Why doesnt mick put him back there, maybe he's being played out of position.

I think he proved where he is most suited by his performances in the backline in the VFL last year.

Having the ability to play forward should in my opinion only be looked upon as an asset now.

Unless we snag the flag this year I'm going to say that holding on to Presti for these last few years at the expense of having Reid play may hurt. We need Reid playing AFL level as much as is reasonable. He is our most likely player for taking down the hard running tall forward. Nat Brown has shown he won't be that player.

i would like to hear "the fresh" reply to the counter argument presented against his assertion that Reid was "touched up".
Might not have been touched up, but was beaten like most of our side.

IMO he is yet to beat his player at all at AFL level.

Just about our only defender who actually won his position.

Fresh, what do you think of Harry Taylor of Geelong?

He was drafted as a 20/21 year old after playing in the WAFL? for a year or 2.

Ben Reid is 21 at the end of the month, and a helluva lot more conditioned to an AFL environment, then Taylor at the same age.

I'm still laughing at the 9 games call. Make up you mind on a player after 9 games of which 1 1/2 were as a backman.:rolleyes:

Think the reality is anyone trying to determine the future of a Collingwood player should just forget yesterday happened. If you go on that game alone then Ricky Pettard becomes one of the most dangerous and elusive forwards in the competition.

Anyone agree that he is!!

Don't listen to what anyone here says, go and get yourself a copy of a few older Collingwood games, and look at how Mal Michael was when he was with us. If that doesn't do it for you, have a look at some early Presti, or some early Jason McCartney. If your tired of Collingwoods bad examples, watch some Jason Blake, or some Scott Stevens or maybe even some Lewis Roberts Thompson. There is heaps of key defenders that don't do well at the start. If you stick with them, they get the hang of it, if you don't, they turn out to be nothing players.

When your tired of seeing defenders, watch some early Rocca, that surely would be enough to teach you that Key Position players take a while to come on. Ben Reid will be a top defender, thats my prediction. He did well against Melbourne, but don't listen to me.

Your judgement is a little harsh. He certainly lacks football ability IMO, but he does have athletic ability and there are are a lot of sub par footballers/good athletes playing the game at AFL level.

What concerns me most is that after the 2006 draft, Hine shot his mouth off by saying we had just recruited a spine for the next 10 years. Well 4 years down the track and Brown, Reid and Dawes, IMO, are all long shots to be good AFL players let alone being the basis for building a side around them as the spine. To me, they all have athletic abilty but lack football ability.

:thumbsu:

Your judgement is a little harsh. He certainly lacks football ability IMO, but he does have athletic ability and there are are a lot of sub par footballers/good athletes playing the game at AFL level.

What concerns me most is that after the 2006 draft, Hine shot his mouth off by saying we had just recruited a spine for the next 10 years. Well 4 years down the track and Brown, Reid and Dawes, IMO, are all long shots to be good AFL players let alone being the basis for building a side around them as the spine. To me, they all have athletic abilty but lack football ability.

Good Point about Hine saying he drafted the Spine in the 2006 Draft and he has backed up with draft 2-3 Talls since then.

I think he needed to draft 1 or 2 Talls High after the 06 Draft.

Will Hine try again in the next few drafts?

reid was not bad yesterday. i thought he showed something. and he was not beaten by his opponent.

i dont know how much clearer i can be.

I think some people here don't watch the Footy and Harp on the same thing everytime he plays:rolleyes:

Don't listen to what anyone here says, go and get yourself a copy of a few older Collingwood games, and look at how Mal Michael was when he was with us. If that doesn't do it for you, have a look at some early Presti, or some early Jason McCartney. If your tired of Collingwoods bad examples, watch some Jason Blake, or some Scott Stevens or maybe even some Lewis Roberts Thompson. There is heaps of key defenders that don't do well at the start. If you stick with them, they get the hang of it, if you don't, they turn out to be nothing players.

When your tired of seeing defenders, watch some early Rocca, that surely would be enough to teach you that Key Position players take a while to come on. Ben Reid will be a top defender, thats my prediction. He did well against Melbourne, but don't listen to me.

ANY Jason McCartney. I hope that Ben Reid doesnt end up the spud that he was.

I'd happily take him at Hawthorn. Please bookmark this thread guys, and shut this clown up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ANY Jason McCartney. I hope that Ben Reid doesnt end up the spud that he was.

He was a regular senior player at North, and not when they were a dud side either. I remember thinking for ages that I wish we never got rid of him, when we tried the likes of Brent Hall and Tristen Walker unsuccessfully in that position. Often he would trouble our key forwards, so I thought he did alright. Was devistating to North when he was burnt. Its funny how everyone sees a different picture. I wonder what North fans thought of him in general?

Didn't get beaten yesterday and used the ball fairly well. No idea how you could come to the conclusion after that game. There are still question marks over how he will fair against better forwards, but if anything, yesterday was encouraging.

But your OP and follow up posts have raised such valid points, I'll reconsider my stance.

All I can say is that if Ben Reid is a dud, then how bad must Nathan Brown be.

Seriously, Nathan Brown last season and so far this year has been nothing short of woeful in the backline, yet Reid, in his first ever attempt at CHB in a real AFL game, comes out of the game with a split points decision IMO.

I'm more worried about Brown then Reid, Reid has the talent, isn't soft, can use the ball and more importantly is mobile enough to give us some rebound and actually "close" on his opponents.

Nathan Brown is tough (just about only redeeming quality), slow, too big, not skillful and has been smashed one on one over the past season and a bit to no end.

Started the thread on the wrong player IMO, Reid will be fine, IMO, Reid will be fine, IMO.

(IMO):p:p:p:D:D:D

Seriously, Nathan Brown last season and so far this year has been nothing short of woeful in the backline
(IMO):p:p:p:D:D:D

I agree to a point, but last year before Nat Brown hurt his knee he was in a really good vein of form topping it off with a real beating on Roughhead when our midfield was getting opened up like Sasha Grey

Might not have been touched up, but was beaten like most of our side.

IMO he is yet to beat his player at all at AFL level.

Worst post I've ever read....EVER!!

That was his first ever game as a defender at AFL level and he was in our best 5 players. One of the most promising performances I've seen from a FIRST UP game from a Collingwood player in years.

The kid was our only defender to win his position. He was comfortably better than Max, O'Brien, Shaw and Toovey. He absolutely SMASHED his opponent; he didn't "break even" or play "ok". I don't care what the clearance stats say, we were destroyed in the centre because they got so much clean ball out of the midfield. He played on their only key forward and kept him to 4 touches and like I said; the supply was epic. If Presti played that game we would all be singing his praises and be saying things like; "brilliant defensive performance and he looks to have added some seriously good quality disposal to his skill set."

After Beams, Thomas, Johnson (for a quarter) and Pendlebury --> I'm struggling to find a Pie who played better. Wellers, Lockyer and Sidey maybe on par and I think I'm stretching even for those ones.

Played a better game than;
Swan, Davis, Ball, Cloke, Shaw, Anthony, O'Brien, Medhurst, Didak, Fraser, Jolly, Toovey, Brown and IMO Wellers, Lockyer and Sidey (just).

If you're trying to criticize look elsewhere as there are plenty of options/players who played terribly.

lets just completely ignore the fact that he is a 20 year old key position player.

He's had 9 games. Any KPP of any worth should be dominating after 5 games.

Top line Full backs such as Matty Scarlett, Mal Micheals, Presti and Brian Lake were all dominant in their first 5-20 games....OH! Just checked the stats...might be exagerating a fair bit there....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fair dinkum I have no idea where some of our suuporters get their expectations from.

9 games???

Triple that and you still would have canned all four above.

Even the criticism of Jack Anthony seems pretty premature to me. 1 and a third seasons.

Why do people expect our players to be ready made stars? Not all of them can flourish straight away. If anything I am worried with Cloke his work rate is down from last season

Everyone is measured against the standards required to win a premiership, not at where they happen to be in their development. Mabe we need to exercise more patience rather than judging after one game (in which he was at worst adequate).

Reid is our future CHB, not Nathan Brown, and he should now be given the opportunity to show his ability to take on the best CHFs in the game. Nathan Brown can languish in the VFL until he produces the kind of excellent form that propelled Reid into the senior team ahead of him. Then he has to contend with Presti.

One thing Reid really needs to work on is keeping his feet after contests. He goes to ground too easily. It's something he was able to get away with in the VFL, but at AFL level it can really hurt.

Just overall on Reid, we really don't know whether or not he'll make it. The fact he hasn't set the world on fire might be because that he's a young key position player that needs time, or he just isn't good enough. But as supporters I think we should be a bit patient and a little understanding, and continue to do that until it's 100% sure he isn't going to make it. And even then, leave the hate out of it.

He's played 9 games, I've seen most of his 9 games live and from what I've seen the guy is not up to AFL standards.

He's been played forward, he's shown that he has no idea up there what so ever. That kicking style was laughed at by many, he was touched up yesterday by a sub par player in the backline.

He can't kick, can't mark, can't run and can't tackle at AFL standards.
I actually thought he won his position agaist Melbourne.
Did a few good things coming out of defence too.

His kicking was very accurate, he spoiled very well and added a bit of speed.

The only thing that worries me about Reid is he's over-confident on his kicking when he plays in defense. But I think once he learns the proper patterns that can be sorted out.

BTW we definitely need another runner to replace BJ coming through the back half and Tooves isn't making me feel the love atm. Thomas perhaps

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Reid - I don't care what you say, he's a dud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back